996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

filling the tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Early models do not I believe have the electrically operated valve that sticks shut when fuse E6 blows - so early vehicle fuel filling issues can be related to other factors.

There is a one way flapper type valve at the junction of the filler neck and the tank. This is to allow gas in but not out.

This flap can stick, and certainly on the early 986 there were tubes in the tank behind the valve that could slip down preventing the flapper valve from opening allowing only the filler neck to fill up then slowly seeping gas past the valve.

On the 986, pre MY 01 cars had a mechanical flap, MY 01 onwards had the electrical version with the E6 fuse issue. (orvr)

Probably the same for 996?

The mechanical issue can come and go - the later electrical issue stays until the E6 fuse is changed and the short by the steering column is fixed.

Chris.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the answers.

I read each one and checked through all the links. I will be paying close attention to all the symptoms desribed and try to narrow it in. Unfortunately, with that small tank, it has to be filled up alot. So I will quickly have many chances to try different methods.

On a side note - all the knowledge that is on this list is remarkable! I feel really fortunate to have found this site and not only get great answers, but to get them from those feeling the same passion for the vehicle as I do. There are others out there as 'hooked' as I am. Nice.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
snowmoose
2nd Gear

I've had a similar problem (and am new to Porsche and the Forum). I've had "some" luck simply pulling the gas nozzle back so it's barely in the car. You have to watch it carefully, as it tends to defeat the overflow protection. If you come up with an answer, I'd love to know what you found. I'm leaving in a few days to drive 101 down the coast from Washington to San Diego, and REALLY don't want to spend half of each day battling the gas pump. Never posted before, so here goes...
Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Funny, seems like Tim and Chris are the only ones to provide advice. This has been reported a number of times.

here is some more info. and another great tech site:

RennTech
Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

So far I have just adjusted the nozzle to be barely in. As snowmoose stated this defeats the overflow protection so you have to listen and watch pretty carefully.

Still working on it, but sure wish I was on that drive down 101 from WA to San Diego.

Here in upstate NY it will snow and rain for the next 5 days.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snowmoose
I've had a similar problem (and am new to Porsche and the Forum). I've had "some" luck simply pulling the gas nozzle back so it's barely in the car. You have to watch it carefully, as it tends to defeat the overflow protection. If you come up with an answer, I'd love to know what you found. I'm leaving in a few days to drive 101 down the coast from Washington to San Diego, and REALLY don't want to spend half of each day battling the gas pump. Never posted before, so here goes...
Good luck on your drive. Since you are taking the 101, give a HONK when you breeze through Thousand Oaks!
eric
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 AM
vwrado
Instructor

how many gallons does it take to fill up a 996 c2 from low fuel warning light?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJunkie
I am sure this question proves my status as a newbie but here goes.

Has anyone had difficulty getting the fuel tank to fill up? I have tried a number of angles and the nozzle on every gas pump automatically shuts nearly every gallon or half gallon. Eventually it fills up, but it is a struggle.

I have tried it myself in NY as well as while passing through NJ where it is mandatory full service. The attendants there have had trouble too.

Is it my tank (BTW-way too small)? Or the angle going in just has to be correctly found? Or is there something like a secret handshake that no one has told me yet?

tiny bit of help please.
I had the same problem until I read a similar thread previously on this forum. Position the handle pointing upward (12 o'clock position) to avoid the premature shut-off of the actuator. Now it fills almost to the top before the shut-off occurs.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 AM
snowmoose
2nd Gear

Almost made it to San Diego. Did cut off 101 to 1, running down the coast from Northern Mendocino County on south. WELL worth the time. Probably the best drive I've ever had. Nice on the weekdays when you don't have too many stupid people on the road. Near 80 today, so sorry to hear about the snow!

As for the fuel issue, it's all over the board. Sometimes on "E", shortly after the light comes on, I can get 14 gallons in, but its ranged from 10 to 12 usually. And, gas is EXPENSIVE in CA!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

snowmoose- sounds like a great ride. i'll be driving down to Atlanta this summer from NY. really looking forward to that much time in the car. the weather has finally cleared here and driving around is awesome. sometimes I'm just riding alone take a corner and just burst out laughing...great cars...huh.

as for the gas thing, I have been tring different angles and depths. straight in midway seems to be the best. also, listen to the fill. you should be able to know almost the exact moment when it is full.

Quick Reply: filling the tank