996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - review and comments please

Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - review and comments please

I am in the final stages of purchasing an extended warranty. It is down to two options, both from local Porsche dealers (Hoehn and Pioneer in San Diego). One of them tops out at an exclusions list, and I wanted to get opinions about the exclusions. Some of these scare me, but I'm not really sure...

So, here is the verbiage:
All parts are covered with these exceptions: Glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, wheels, wheel covers, tires, interior trim, moldings, brightmetal parts, sheet metal, flexible body parts, weather strips, upholstery, convertible and/or vinyl top, paint rust, physical damage, catalytic converter, exhaust system, brake rotors and drums, wiper blades, hoses, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor, and throttle body assembly (except the injectors). Spark/glow plugs, drive belts, brake pads, brake linings and showes, and manual clutch disc. In addition, repairs of water and air leaks, rattles, squeaks and wind noise; alighment of body parts, bumpers and glass are not covered. Any parts or components which are not factory installed are not covered. (In addition, the normal maintenance services and parts required or recommended by your vehicle manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing and filters.)

The catalytic converter and exhaust system concern me. What exactly is covered by 'exhaust system'?

Anyway, this warranty is for longer and farther than the other one, so I'm leaning towards it, unless y'all see something scary. $3159 for 60 months (from date of warranty purchase) and 50,000 miles (odometer), with a $0 deductible. I'm sitting at 9300 miles right now, and drive 7,000 miles/year or so. If I felt like it, I could even go to 84 months, 75,000 miles for $5698, but I'm not sure I'm committed to owning this car that long.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that I live in California, and I've called most of the companies others have recommended here, and they all say they will not offer warranties to me, either because of California laws, or because they don't want to touch Porsches.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

did you try Warranty Direct??
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
did you try Warranty Direct??
yes.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Warranty Direct, Majorcare. It was around $1700 for similar coverage. 4 years/60k, which ever comes 1st. I bought my car w/17k miles.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer that I'm buying from deals with GE AWS for extended warranties. Anyone ever dealt with GE (aside from light bulbs and washer/dryers)?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Irksome
Racer

I'm really looking for feedback on the exclusions list, to make sure I'm not missing something painful. Anyone?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Irksome
I'm really looking for feedback on the exclusions list, to make sure I'm not missing something painful. Anyone?
Compare it to coverages at www.warrantydirect.com

http://warrantydirect.com/compare_coverages.asp
Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The list looks pretty standard. My guess about the exhaust system is since it's exposed to the road (think salt spray in east coast winter), it's a wear-and-tear item.

The price is about right. I bought mine from WarrantyDirect in Dec '06 (right before they suspended service to CA) for $3.5k. $0 deductible. 5yrs/60k miles and I had 16k miles on the car (MY'03).

Good luck,

- Ahsai
Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to hijack the thread, but my dealer is giving me one of these warranties at his cost.

$1500 for one year, $1900 for two, covering most of the expensive stuff. I originally planned on doing the 1-year, as a just in case. But since you can't sign up again to extend, maybe a 2 year is safer? This is with a $200 deductible.

GE 3 Star Plus ..

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The catalytic converter and exhaust system concern me. What exactly is covered by 'exhaust system'?
Your car has a 8 year/80k miles manufacturer warranty on the cats.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by AndyK
Not to hijack the thread, but my dealer is giving me one of these warranties at his cost.

$1500 for one year, $1900 for two, covering most of the expensive stuff. I originally planned on doing the 1-year, as a just in case. But since you can't sign up again to extend, maybe a 2 year is safer? This is with a $200 deductible.

GE 3 Star Plus ..

Thoughts?
Dude!! My warranty was for all the major stuff, electronics, RMS etc... My cost was UNDER $1700. 4 year or 60k miles with warrantydirect.com. So $1500 for 1 year, i dont get it.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Dude!! My warranty was for all the major stuff, electronics, RMS etc... My cost was UNDER $1700. 4 year or 60k miles with warrantydirect.com. So $1500 for 1 year, i dont get it.
Warrantydirect won't insure a 7 year old car. AAA wants close to 3k for a 3 year waranty. I am normally not one to pay for an extended warranty, thinking I'll hold the money, and if something breaks, I'll fix it.

My taking a one-year warranty is to insure nothing blows up a few months after I buy the car. It has 17k on it, so it's been sitting, and who knows if that means something will go after I start using the car. After that, I have to pay for what breaks.

Unless there is a better idea?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Makes sense.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the GE one and when my engine went, my claim was deinied and my mechanic had to jump through hoops just to get them to replace it and I had to come up with my own core charge when they didnt accept my old engine.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC3D
I did the GE one and when my engine went, my claim was deinied and my mechanic had to jump through hoops just to get them to replace it and I had to come up with my own core charge when they didnt accept my old engine.
Why did your engine go? Why didn't GE want to cover you--engines and all components are supposed to be covered.

Which policy did you have?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - review and comments please