Sponsored by:

For SALE!! 2002 C4S, 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
I'm only going to defend the price of my car ONE last time, after this, I will defer to THIS post....I digress...

I think you MUST be kidding about the where I did my research...If you're not, I made that clear in my post that YOU quoted.

Anyhow, every car is its own story and every sale is unique. Some cars are the wrong color, some don't have the right options, some have bad history's, some have been sitting on the lot too long and are costing more to maintain than is worth it, these cars are almost as unique as the people who drive them and so TO can be the prices for which they command.

SOME sellers are more motivated than others. I am not one of these sellers. If I don't get what I want for my car, guess what? I get to KEEP my sweet car. If it sits out there too long, who knows, maybe I will become MORE motivated and drop the price.

All I know is this, its a bigger mistake to price it too low and sell it for less than I'd want too, than price it too high and not sell it. In the mean-time, it will stay the price its listed at, for now, and I can negotiatte from there....AND I get to take it out whenever I want too, and no-one can tell me I cant! THHHPPPT!!
Gant, you're starting to sound like my neighbors out in Vegas when I left back in May. The real estate bubble was just starting to pop. I wasn't looking to make a killing or take anybody to the cleaners. I needed to sell my home but under no situation would I give it away or sell it BELOW market. When I listed my home beginning of March I was one of about 3 or 4 in my 'hood. Then within a couple weeks when spring was in full season there were almost 20 homes. Everybody determined their home was worth "x" b/c that is what the last home sold for. Everybody priced accordingly. As I started to see that nobody was getting sold and traffic wasn't beating down the door. I had a nice talk with my agent and decided that there is probably an asking price and a "realistic" price. The only way I would sell my home was to sell it for the realistic price rather than know what I would accept as an offer coming down from a higher price like my neighbors. Keep in mind that I was NOT going to give it away and would have kept it as an investment property. I ended up listing for what was the realistic price.....within 2 weeks had an offer at FULL asking. Guess what? Almost a year later and all those homes that were listed are either still for sale or NOT listed anymore. I kept in touch with my agent. Of the more than 20+ homes in my 'hood, only less than 5 sold.

Moral to the story? If you price you car according to emotion and what you "think" it is worth rather than it's real worth you will NEVER sell it. And the attitude of "I'll just keep it then" is a pile of crap then and lends no credibility to your pricing. Obviously you are NOT pricing it to sell but hope there is a sucker born that will give you what you paid a year ago for it. It's ok to accept the fact that you own a depreciating asset. Either that or go back to whatever it is you are smoking b/c it really has a hold on you.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Moral to the story? If you price you car according to emotion and what you "think" it is worth rather than it's real worth you will NEVER sell it. And the attitude of "I'll just keep it then" is a pile of crap then and lends no credibility to your pricing. Obviously you are NOT pricing it to sell but hope there is a sucker born that will give you what you paid a year ago for it. It's ok to accept the fact that you own a depreciating asset.

Dell - I see another moral to your story: it's the buyer and not the seller that sets the value of any commodity. The way you handled the sale of your property was prudent. You priced it at a relatively high level to test the market, and when there were no takers, you adjusted your price accordingly.

There are two Porsche Dealers near me. One follows the method that you suggest and the other absolutely refuses to lower his price. The Dealer that adjusts price according to what the market dictates rarely has a Porsche on his lot for more than a couple of months whereas the second Dealer has Porsches that linger on his lot for as many as two years. Maybe it takes the second Dealer that long to realize that his asking price is too high.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gant, you're starting to sound like my neighbors out in Vegas when I left back in May. The real estate bubble was just starting to pop. I wasn't looking to make a killing or take anybody to the cleaners. I needed to sell my home but under no situation would I give it away or sell it BELOW market. When I listed my home beginning of March I was one of about 3 or 4 in my 'hood. Then within a couple weeks when spring was in full season there were almost 20 homes. Everybody determined their home was worth "x" b/c that is what the last home sold for. Everybody priced accordingly. As I started to see that nobody was getting sold and traffic wasn't beating down the door. I had a nice talk with my agent and decided that there is probably an asking price and a "realistic" price. The only way I would sell my home was to sell it for the realistic price rather than know what I would accept as an offer coming down from a higher price like my neighbors. Keep in mind that I was NOT going to give it away and would have kept it as an investment property. I ended up listing for what was the realistic price.....within 2 weeks had an offer at FULL asking. Guess what? Almost a year later and all those homes that were listed are either still for sale or NOT listed anymore. I kept in touch with my agent. Of the more than 20+ homes in my 'hood, only less than 5 sold.

Moral to the story? If you price you car according to emotion and what you "think" it is worth rather than it's real worth you will NEVER sell it. And the attitude of "I'll just keep it then" is a pile of crap then and lends no credibility to your pricing. Obviously you are NOT pricing it to sell but hope there is a sucker born that will give you what you paid a year ago for it. It's ok to accept the fact that you own a depreciating asset. Either that or go back to whatever it is you are smoking b/c it really has a hold on you.
I think it's a great price for my car. Stop making me defend it. Why don't you understand, Dell? It's not worth it to me to sell it for any less. Now please, lets MOVE ON!!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
Moral to the story? If you price you car according to emotion and what you "think" it is worth rather than it's real worth you will NEVER sell it. And the attitude of "I'll just keep it then" is a pile of crap then and lends no credibility to your pricing. Obviously you are NOT pricing it to sell but hope there is a sucker born that will give you what you paid a year ago for it. It's ok to accept the fact that you own a depreciating asset.

Dell - I see another moral to your story: it's the buyer and not the seller that sets the value of any commodity. The way you handled the sale of your property was prudent. You priced it at a relatively high level to test the market, and when there were no takers, you adjusted your price accordingly.

There are two Porsche Dealers near me. One follows the method that you suggest and the other absolutely refuses to lower his price. The Dealer that adjusts price according to what the market dictates rarely has a Porsche on his lot for more than a couple of months whereas the second Dealer has Porsches that linger on his lot for as many as two years. Maybe it takes the second Dealer that long to realize that his asking price is too high.
Excellent interpretation from another perspective.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arr0gant
I think it's a great price for my car. Stop making me defend it. Why don't you understand, Dell? It's not worth it to me to sell it for any less. Now please, lets MOVE ON!!
The operative phrase is "I think it's a great price". No need to defend it. We are just explaning to you the errors of your ways if you in fact are "trying" to sell your car. Apparently you are not and "would" sell if somebody would pay your self-imposed price. Seems to me that it is you that has failed to move on when the market has. Keep us posted with your "sale"
Old 04-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are brutal, but it's fun

this dude's ride didn't even come with litronics from the factory, right? lol
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

the operative phrase is "I think it's a great price".

If someone is really serious about selling a car, the first step that I recommend is establishing the car's wholesale price in your market. This can be done by either going to a nearby auction or better yet taking your car to at least two Porsche Dealers and ask them what they will pay for your car. This will accomplish two objectives: it will give you a reality check as to what you car is really worth and it will provide you with a baseline for realistically pricing your car. After the wholesale price has been established multiply that by 1.2 and as Dell recommends adjust the price if necessary.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
the operative phrase is "I think it's a great price".

If someone is really serious about selling a car, the first step that I recommend is establishing the car's wholesale price in your market. This can be done by either going to a nearby auction or better yet taking your car to at least two Porsche Dealers and ask them what they will pay for your car. This will accomplish two objectives: it will give you a reality check as to what you car is really worth and it will provide you with a baseline for realistically pricing your car. After the wholesale price has been established multiply that by 1.2 and as Dell recommends adjust the price if necessary.
I think we have finally figured out what happened. When reading up on those formulas Gant thought you multiply by 1.4 instead which is the "I want to keep my car formula" versus the 1.2 "I want to sell my car formula". Simple mistake.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we have finally figured out what happened. When reading up on those formulas Gant thought you multiply by 1.4 instead which is the "I want to keep my car formula" versus the 1.2 "I want to sell my car formula". Simple mistake.
Maybe he just got confused and thought he owned a 993? Those owners also use that formula.

Heh, heh.

Michael

(ignore the username, I've got me a rapidly depreciating 996 now)
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Maybe he just got confused and thought he owned a 993? Those owners also use that formula.

Heh, heh.

Michael

(ignore the username, I've got me a rapidly depreciating 996 now)
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with your sale Gant.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
Good luck with your sale Gant.
Thanks Ray!!

It's nice to know I have the support of SOME of you...

G
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Gant, you have our support. We just need to help you see the light sometimes
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Gant, you have our support. We just need to help you see the light sometimes
Thanks for the light shedding, oh great one!!

Quick Reply: For SALE!! 2002 C4S, 21k miles