Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pic request: Rear Facing infant seat (<30lbs) fitted in the back seats of a 996 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, congrats to all. Let me know in two-three years and I can give you some tips on the toddler seats. and where to store the windex for the windows they cant stop touching!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
ML
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Wouldn't recommend ever putting a baby in the front seat of any car, let alone your Porsche - even with the air bag deactivated. Front facing rear car seats should be used only when babies are 1 year AND 20 pounds or more.
I agree Phil. Actually thought it was 22 pounds.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem with any rear-facing baby seat is it requires so much room, the front seat has to be pushed all the way forward. Great for taking just the baby, but not great if the wife wants to come too!

The baby seat never entered my P-car. Now, my daughter is old enough for a booster seat (that's what we call them Nico), which fits, kinda.

My policy is kids stay home, or go in mommy's Honda!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife wants me to put a baby seat (rear facing) in my P....just in case of an emergency. I told her that it is impossible...now I see someone in France put the seat in...but is there enough space left for the front seat passenger??
Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, we had no problems with a graco infant seat in the rear of my 996 (sorry no pics, as we're now into bigger seats)

Here's a link to the seat:
http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby...ntCarSeat.html

No, the seat is not all the way forward. It's forward a little, but even when there's a passenger in there the view was not impeded, nor was it uncomfortable for my 5'2" wife.

The seat will fit fine in the back and your passenger will have plenty of space unless they're 6' tall. We also bought the 996 for the rear seats and everything has worked out well. when they're ready to move up to the front facing seats look for the Recaro Young Sport. We have them and have had a good experience.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Nico996C4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
my wife wants me to put a baby seat (rear facing) in my P....just in case of an emergency. I told her that it is impossible...now I see someone in France put the seat in...but is there enough space left for the front seat passenger??
Hi,

Yes for an emergency case or with a short person in front
More seriously it can be done, not for 200 miles but it is possible.

Bye

PS : @ AndyK : thanks for the word missing...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Okay, we had no problems with a graco infant seat in the rear of my 996 (sorry no pics, as we're now into bigger seats)

when they're ready to move up to the front facing seats look for the Recaro Young Sport. We have them and have had a good experience.
Cool, so the Graco Theresa SnugRide Infant Car Seat was used in the rear facing mode?

Thanks

We too passed on the Boxster / Cayman for the rear seats. It looks like it might work out well. I'm sure the baby is going to ride in the other car most of the time, but the P would be great for emergencies and fun weekend family runs.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I don't have that exact model, but I do have an older Graco snug ride that came as part of the travel system.

We have this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRACO-PRINCETON-...QQcmdZViewItem

This seat was good up to 20lbs/1year and all was well.

As another poster said, it fits fine if you use it without the base - you just secure it using the seatbelt - it was really easy to get my son in and out (with him in the seat) of the back without an issues. In fact, to be honest, I kinda miss it, as it's a tighter fit for you once you start putting them in and out of the front facing seat.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. My son is the coolest guy in daycare when he rides in the Porsche... plus it's just fun to see the looks on people's faces when you walk around to the passenger side and pull out the infant seat.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

According to the user manual ('03 C2), the rear facing child restraint system is used ONLY in the passenger seat but it did not explain why. Anyone know why Porsche recommends that?

That makes me wonder if it's really safe to put the rear-facing infant seat at the back seat.

Thanks,

- Ahsai
Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

First, congratulations! I know you are looking for a rear facing seat, but I just installed a forward facing seat in the back and have a few comments/suggestions:
1. Remove the seat bottom and back, the bottom is only on with velcro, and the back is a 5 min job. - this will add several inches of room for the passenger. I used a towel that matches the interior to "even out" the seat bottom once removed.
2. The passenger will lose quite a bit of room. I used a Britax roundabout (forward facing) and removed the base, it fits very well, but even in the this position, my wife (5'7") is a bit cramped when my daughter is in the seat.
3. All that said, the happiest day with my car thus far has been a ride with the top down and my wife and daughter (for the first time) there to enjoy the ride with me.

Good Luck, and Congratulations again.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ahsai
According to the user manual ('03 C2), the rear facing child restraint system is used ONLY in the passenger seat but it did not explain why. Anyone know why Porsche recommends that?

That makes me wonder if it's really safe to put the rear-facing infant seat at the back seat.

Thanks,

- Ahsai
Read it again. You should never put a rear facing seat in the front, as the child will be killed if the air bag activates (front and side).

Rear facing in the back is fine - in fact very snug if the passenger seat is moved back to the front of the seat you will find absolutely no movement in the seat. Very safe.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 03-28-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Read it again. You should never put a rear facing seat in the front, as the child will be killed if the air bag activates (front and side).

Rear facing in the back is fine - in fact very snug if the passenger seat is moved back to the front of the seat you will find absolutely no movement in the seat. Very safe.
Maybe my manual is differnt than yours but ion page 43. it says "Rearward facing child restraint system: - Use only in the passenger seat"

I understand the airbag hazard, which is trivial.

- Ahsai
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The info. that you're referring to is the one with the airbag activation. No other seat should be used in the front.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

The info. that you're referring to is the one with the airbag activation. No other seat should be used in the front.
Wellardmac, that section clearly lists out two types of child seats: rearward facing and forward facing. Then under rearward facing, 1st bullet says "use only in the passenger seat", and 2nd bullet says "use only Porsche child restraint system with airbag deactivation".

So for rearward type car seat, you have to use the Porshce type on the passenger seat with airbag deactivation.

If their intention was to allow rearward facing in the rear seat, they could have said you can mount that to the rear but for the front, you need the Porsch type? Also, it does mention that for forward facing, it's desriable to mount in the rear seat so it's not like they forgot about the rear seats.

- Ahsai
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Wellardmac, that section clearly lists out two types of child seats: rearward facing and forward facing. Then under rearward facing, 1st bullet says "use only in the passenger seat", and 2nd bullet says "use only Porsche child restraint system with airbag deactivation".

So for rearward type car seat, you have to use the Porshce type on the passenger seat with airbag deactivation.

If their intention was to allow rearward facing in the rear seat, they could have said you can mount that to the rear but for the front, you need the Porsch type? Also, it does mention that for forward facing, it's desriable to mount in the rear seat so it's not like they forgot about the rear seats.

- Ahsai
What you've said is absolutely correct. My point is that seats that do not have deactivation should never be used in the front.

Quick Reply: Pic request: Rear Facing infant seat (<30lbs) fitted in the back seats of a 996 Coupe