996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

double-din head unit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007 | 12:38 PM
onepoint
7th Gear

Default double-din head unit DIY

i apologize for my insufficient search capabilities. i swear i've tried, but all i can come up with are discussions about whether X aftermarket head unit will interface with the MOST system, the merits of handheld gps vs. head units, etc.

questions:
(a) do all 996's use MOST, certain year ranges, or just the Bose-equipped systems?
(b) can someone point me to a DIY of installing a double-din unit in a non-MOST equipped 996?

thank you in advance
Old 03-27-2007 | 12:57 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

99-02 did not use MOST...03+ did use the MOST bus....I have a double din install....ugh....I am actually tired of posting pics of it...but the install wasnt hard at all...theer is a VW harness to use, My car was a preowned and they already cut into the harness, so it was actually VERY easy....plus I have a new amp and I used all new RCA wires to run the audio, so I really just needed power from the car....The NAV system is amazing....just a few days ago a thread came up....

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/339998-installed-double-din-navigation.html
Old 03-27-2007 | 01:07 PM
onepoint
7th Gear

first, thanks for the help. is the MOST system 'intrusive' enough that installing an aftermarket head unit in an 03+ would require re-wiring of the speakers directly to the new head unit? i.e. do all MOST-equipped systems run an amp, etc. that would need to be bypassed if/when installing a new head?
Old 03-27-2007 | 01:12 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Yes...the MOST system is a digital system between the head unit and amp....so yes you would need to bypass the the stock amp...you could either wire the speakers to the head unit depending on your system (the bose may not be that easy) or replace the stock MOST amp when you also replace the head unit. I think there is something you need to do to the car as well via the ECU....so the dealer's service department must tell the car there is no radio present. If you have the MOST bus, I would have the system installed professionally by someone who has done MANY of them before on MOST bus Porsche's...its not just like swapping the head unit....
Old 03-27-2007 | 01:18 PM
onepoint
7th Gear

alright, got it. much appreciated!

Quick Reply: double-din head unit DIY