Sponsored by:

Strange fluid leak...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange fluid leak...

Question for you all- I recently got a 996 with 46.3K on it- I've had it a month, and put about 800 miles on it. No drops on garage floor at all- until yesterday...

After I parked it (it was driven about 60 miles), there were two 4"puddles under the left rear- behind the rear wheel. It was slowly dripping from right where the left exhaust tip is, and further from the header also. It's not oil, I know that. It feels too slippery, however, to be coolant, and does not smell like coolant. It stopped shortly thereafter. Fluid is relatively clear- hydraulic, maybe? There is no sprayed or splashed fluid in the engine compartment that I can see.

Anybody seen this? Opinions? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

coolant. it sometimes has a slippery feel to it... can easily be mistaken for hydraulic fluid. also, tank is on left side.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

yes check your coolant expansion tank level. Place something to collect the dripp. You with that much comming out it you will be able to see the color and know which it is quickly.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Kolshak
Racer

did you get a hot coolant type smell? When my expansion tank went I smelled it before I saw the leak.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please search for 'coolant tank replace'
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before you go replacing the entire tank (which is a known problem) make sure the cap is in good shape. I've been told many times now that the coolant tank caps only last a couple years before needing replacement.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Thanks, guys...I'll check the coolant cap, and fluid level. I didn't smell any radiator fluid smell, at least I didn't notice...it did fell awfully slick for radiator fluid, though...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Yes...good advice from Slant911. My first run-in with drips was in fact the coolant tank cap...so I bought the new cap. Then about a month later, I started getting the hot coolant smell, and this time it was the coolant tank. In both cases, I could see white crusty residue....the first time around the mouth of the coolant tank under the rim of the cap...and the second time looking down underneath the coolant tank with a flashlight....cottage cheese looking "white stuff" on a ledge under the tank.

I haven't done very many do-it-yourself projects; but I did tackle the coolant tank following the step by step DIY instructions and photos from RennTech.....with more than a few loud adjectives....and jiggling the tank in and out....but I got it done. Not that difficult of a job now that I look back on it. The biggest problem with DIY projects for guys like me who haven't done a lot of them....is lack of confidence. But if you follow the directions...and query the guys on the forum...you can get thru it just fine.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:18 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Thanks, guys- Here's an update- the dripping stopped late the same day I noticed it last weekend. I would guess total fluid loss to be about 1-2 ounces. Not much.

So I go out for a nice 200+ miles on Saturday- after I added about 1/2 cup or so distilled water in the tank, which took it right to the median between the low and high marks. Nice drive, pretty conservative, only took it to ~6k once or twice. Lots of highway. Temp guage stayed straight up at 180, right between the 8 and the 0. Didn't waver a bit. Didn't notice any of the "cottage cheese" anywhere in the pre drive walkaround. Temp outside was about 75.

When I get home and park, no drips, no nothing coming out. Fluid level is the same. Sunday morning, garage floor is dry. Not a drop. Everything appears normal. Is it possible that some fluid can come out of the bleeder valve? Perhaps it was just discharging excess fluid last week. I dunno. I ordered the new tank, which I'll keep on hand, but it sure seems fine for now. Anyone had this happen?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You should probably also order the newer version of the coolant cap. IIRC, the newer version part number ends in -01.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You may not see any drips on the the garage floor, like mine, but the tank still had many tiny cracks that expand-out under hot/pressurized running condition and the leak occurs. Therefore you might smell the coolant as it evaporates on the exhaust manifolds, but don't see any drips on the floor. Since you have smelled and seen some drips already, like others have told you, you may want to order the new tank and newer cap to get ready (well-known problems for 996)... Good luck.
Cheers,
Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Its the coolant tank.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's inevitable if it's the stock tank.....mine did the same, leak a bit & then nothing
for several days.....then leak again.

Better to do it sooner than later & risk having to leave the car somewhere it does not belong and/or getting it towed to get fixed.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
cadencex
Track Day

thanks for this thread...had a very visible leak today...lots of "cottage cheese" residue around the driver side exhaust pipe and a tad around the tank cap. Found no visible cracks on the tank...looks like it was just coming out on top and dropping down the tube attached to the over fill part of the tank. Just picked up a new cap for $20 from the dealership (part # 996 106 447 01). This should do the trick!
Thanks again for this thread!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

My '02 has 33K miles on it now. I'm thinking about just replacing the whole dang thing before I run into anything like this. Smart move or just wait till it shows signs of leaking?

Quick Reply: Strange fluid leak...