Sponsored by:

Variocam plus hessitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variocam plus hessitation

Hi all. I was reading (very dangerous activity) the Total 911 article on the 3.4L 996 motor (July 2006). They are talking about reliability and one of the issues that came up was the Variocam Plus solenoid that in earlier designs allowed moisture to enter causing corrision and poor engagement of the Variocam Plus.

It says the design was redone about 3-4times for the 996. It does not state if all this was just for the 996 3.4 or if it affected the 3.6. I have a late 2001 MkII 996 and often I feel the Variocam Plus shift over obtrusively.

a few quesitons:
1. Is my engine even included in the scope of this article? (it starts out about the 3.4 but often refers to 996 in general).
2. does anyone else notice issues with Variocam Plus when slowly accelerating through 3,000 RPM (it's not an issue under WOT)
3. Has anyone had the solenoid checked/replaced?
4. Where is this solenoid?

5. Am I just a paranoid hypochondriac? (reading too much can be a bad thing).

Thanks. Ican link the article if you aren't familiar with it.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I cannot answer questions 1 & 2. However, a fault in the solenoid or tensioner should throw the CEL. This is what happened in my 00 996 (read recent New Owner thread) The solenoid is attached to the tensioner and (I think) acts to advance the cam timing. There is one on each tensioner, thus one on each cylinder head (IIRC driver's side in front, passenger's side in rear). Replacement means dropping the engine. When my tensioner went bad on passenger's side, I decided to do the solenoid on the other side as well.

Stefan
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3.6 cars tensioners are complety diffrent, and do not require dropping the engine, b ut if you had a problem you would have a cel.
the change over is pretty obvious if you accelerate slowy through 3000 rpm
n ot only is the vario cam and the lifters coming in so is the the vario intake theres a lot going on and you will feel and hear a diffrence if you looking for it

fwiw i have never heard or seen of poor engagement of the vario cam plus, but u have seen fouled hydolic valves (cel) and stuck vario lifters (fault and a cel)
Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal on the 3.6l

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...variocam+surge

Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with number 5
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

A 3.4 doesn't have Variocam plus, it has the basic chain tensioner based variocam system (timing only). Variocam Pus introduced variable valve lift that was originally introduced on the turbo, this is why the changeover is move obvious on the variocam plus cars, it is the large change in valve lift more than the change in timing, which is actually more subtle on the Variocam plus cars. Eventhough it is a larger range of advance, it is not an all or none change in timing due to the valve timing changes being accomplished by a vane type actuator rather than a chain tensioner design.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the good information.

I guess it is #5. I will now just drive the car and enjoy and stop reading about it!

Cheers,
Andy

Quick Reply: Variocam plus hessitation