Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For '99 996 owners (with DE experience, if shopping again for 996 what would choose?
Buy '99 996 with factory LSD
87.10%
Buy '99 996 without factory LSD
9.68%
Buy '99 996 without LSD and install 50/80 Guard LSD
3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Limited Slip Differential--a MUST HAVE for '99 996 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Galun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the RMS issue is more prevalent in pre '02 cars - this can be remedied by looking for a car that had the RMS replaced. However, from my research it appears that some 1999 engines may have a casting flaw that makes them weaker and more prone to go kaboom. Maybe others can chime in on this, but I think that kinda makes sense given that it's a first year production car, and in general I tend to avoid first year anything on a car.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes...that about sums up what I've read. Some of this may be factual, others urban legend. There seem to be many MkI 996 owners that are quite happy with their cars though (shrug) ?
Originally Posted by Galun
I believe the RMS issue is more prevalent in pre '02 cars - this can be remedied by looking for a car that had the RMS replaced. However, from my research it appears that some 1999 engines may have a casting flaw that makes them weaker and more prone to go kaboom. Maybe others can chime in on this, but I think that kinda makes sense given that it's a first year production car, and in general I tend to avoid first year anything on a car.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Jim, based on your experience as an expert 996 racer, would a Quaife torque-biasing (1-way) LSD be good enough for my needs? My 996 would see very little track time (3 to 4 DEs per season?). My local Porsche expert (Terry Heath of EuroMotorworks http://www.euromotorworks.com/ ) can install a Quaife LSD in my prospective 996 purchase for $3216--parts and labor (the GT LSD would be $4036; and the GT3 LSD would be $4339--parts and labor). Thanks!
As a driver that does 30-36 days of DEs and racing each year, I have to say that the LSD is just not going to matter if you only do 3 to 4 DEs per season. In my book, that means that your car will primarily be a street car. I would focus on getting the nicest 996 you can afford, and an LSD would be a bonus. I would not forego an otherwise nice car OR drop the money on an aftermarket LSD. For the few weekends you will use the car on the track, I bet you would never notice the difference. Plus, keep in mind that stock or near stock 996s tend to understeer anyway (sure you can tune it out, but still . . . ), so LSD could actually make the issue a little worse under certain circumstances.

Why not look for a 40th Anniversary, which has LSD?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Galun.... do a search. seems that 02+ cars have RMS early replacements, as do 997s and even the GT3s. BTW early means under 60K miles.

So the 1999 996 is the 1st year? In the USA/NA.. where did all the 1998 996s go that were sold in the ROW? Must of blown up.

Here we go again. The 3.4L engine goes kaboom. RMS causes it. yadda yadda. LOL

So, what is a RMS... it is a little rubber seal that costs under $20. You just have to take the transmission off to get to it as is with most things on our cars.

Everything is hard to reach.. Even a spark plug change is a PITA in a 996 (no room).
Old 03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Excellent points (you echo JimB and Paul). As for the 40th An that's some dough! I'll be saving a few years for that car (I'm a poor Bimmer owner LOL )
Originally Posted by TD in DC
As a driver that does 30-36 days of DEs and racing each year, I have to say that the LSD is just not going to matter if you only do 3 to 4 DEs per season. In my book, that means that your car will primarily be a street car. I would focus on getting the nicest 996 you can afford, and an LSD would be a bonus. I would not forego an otherwise nice car OR drop the money on an aftermarket LSD. For the few weekends you will use the car on the track, I bet you would never notice the difference. Plus, keep in mind that stock or near stock 996s tend to understeer anyway (sure you can tune it out, but still . . . ), so LSD could actually make the issue a little worse under certain circumstances.

Why not look for a 40th Anniversary, which has LSD?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

$$$$$$$ (and I'm a poor Bimmer owner LOL )
OK, so just view an LSD as icing on the cake. If you find a car that you otherwise like and it happens to have an LSD . . . brilliant! If you find a car that you like but it doesn't have an LSD, no biggie . . . .seriously.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:43 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Yes...sounds reasonable. BTW, I like your sig animation (it morphs through all the generations of 911s as you stare at it).
OK, so just view an LSD as icing on the cake. If you find a car that you otherwise like and it happens to have an LSD . . . brilliant! If you find a car that you like but it doesn't have an LSD, no biggie . . . .seriously.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Galun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Galun.... do a search. seems that 02+ cars have RMS early replacements, as do 997s and even the GT3s. BTW early means under 60K miles.

So the 1999 996 is the 1st year? In the USA/NA.. where did all the 1998 996s go that were sold in the ROW? Must of blown up.

Here we go again. The 3.4L engine goes kaboom. RMS causes it. yadda yadda. LOL

So, what is a RMS... it is a little rubber seal that costs under $20. You just have to take the transmission off to get to it as is with most things on our cars.

Everything is hard to reach.. Even a spark plug change is a PITA in a 996 (no room).
Sure 02+ cars have the RMS replaced. I am not saying they are immune - I am saying it seems to be less prevalent.

How about the casting flaw issue? Is that just an urban legend?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if I am testy. It's been a long week and it's Friday. Pesky developers with their bugs, pesky sales people with their deal prospects, pesky field techs with their rtfm questions, pesky customers with their feature requests, pesky analysts with their roadmap reviews. There much better.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Wait, does this mean an LSD could increase understeer in a 996? How do you tune out the inherent understeer in the Carrera (besides foregoing an LSD)?
Plus, keep in mind that stock or near stock 996s tend to understeer anyway (sure you can tune it out, but still . . . ), so LSD could actually make the issue a little worse under certain circumstances.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Galun
Instructor

Wait, does this mean an LSD could increase understeer in a 996? How do you tune out the inherent understeer in the Carrera (besides foregoing an LSD)?
I believe a LSD increases understeer becuase it increases traction of the rear wheels. It can be dialed out with adjustable sway bars by softening up the front and increasing the grip there. The GT3 sway bars have 5 settings in the front and 4 in the back I think - there is plenty of relative front and back settings for you to play around with.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
auto-xr
Racer

This is a good thread that recently popped up on the gt3 board. It gives a good explanation of how LSDs work.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=43587
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

If you are going to put in a new LSD... guard would be the way to go regardless of the ramps. They can build what you want, the quality is much better than the Porsche part, and it cost less. My dealer price to replace mine was $3,600 for the part, guard $2,400.
For a GT3 90% track a Guard 50/80 is the way to go.
Call guard and ask them the question. There is nobody that knows more than them.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential--a MUST HAVE for '99 996 C2?