Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C4S guys: How are you liking your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ben, I don't quite know how to break this to you, so I'll just say it.

The 996 is your daddy.... << Ben

It ownz the M3...
Old 03-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 Turbo/GT3 heck yes... 996 RMS speciality... a much closer call.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You talk alot of smack, so you would be better served to not go for the Turbo junior and step up to take a hit from the boost bong
Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
A biased crowd no doubt, but as most of the posts indicate, it's an outstanding handling car that's deceptively quick. It has a tendency to understeer with the stock alignment specs but a slight change to the rear camber and toe-in settings neutralizes this. I find the suspension slightly on the harsh side for long freeway trips but not unbearably so. It's not my daily driver so I always look forward to taking it out on a drive.
We bought our '03 C4S last summer to replace and "step-up" from a Boxster. We learned the best and worst qualities of the car in the fall when we did a 4-day 1500 mile trip to Vermont. The C4S it a great long distance cruising car when the roads are relatively smooth. We did about 250 miles in steady rain one day and the car never set a foot wrong. However driving a few hundred miles on Pennsylvania and New York Interstates with their many frost heaves and intermittently crappy surfaces was not fun.

The car is a blast for shorter drives on back roads and long drives on smoother roads. I still look forward to every drive in it, but my next Porsche will not have such an "extreme" suspension. Maybe I'm just getting old (52!), but I would prefer a little more compliance in the ride.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Robbys911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion. This was my first winter with my C4S. I never thought driving in nasty weather could be so much fun. Once you learn the car's limtations (done very late at night on empty roads), it's a thrill ride. However the best part is looks you get on snowy days from folks wondering how a sports car can handle such harsh conditions. The anwser is quite simple: 4S...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbys911
Great discussion. This was my first winter with my C4S. I never thought driving in nasty weather could be so much fun. Once you learn the car's limtations (done very late at night on empty roads), it's a thrill ride. However the best part is looks you get on snowy days from folks wondering how a sports car can handle such harsh conditions. The anwser is quite simple: 4S...
with winter tires.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I do agree that the ride on the factory suspension is pretty rough. Softer tires (I have Bridgestones) help though.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyr
My personal experience is that historically speaking, Porsche has never ruled the 0-60 Olympics and has never sought to do so.
It was much rarer in the 70's to be taken 0-60 in a stock non modifyed car.
Now anybody from the heavy Mercedes to Corvettes can be faster... for
less money!

Originally Posted by Luckyr
You are right there are a load of sporty coupes and even sedans with a huge engine shoehorned into them. I'm not into that. I'd much rather take a 30 MPH corner at 70 than drive down the highway at 155.
I think Porsche has a talented enough engineering team to give us both
handling and fast acceleration.

I am not that much into top speed either, (not because I wouldn't do it if
it was safe, but because it is ilegal), but I enjoy having the option just in case.

Having a C4S always gives me the feeling of almost having a super car,
yet not quite.

John
Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 AM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to be very candid about this question but first just a touch of back ground. I have been racing cars since the late 60's with a few west coast SCCA Division championships and have most recently owned and driven a Hendrick Winston Cup stock car in historic NASCAR raod racing - so I am not a new comer to speed done right. I enjoy the entire package that Porsche delivered in my 2004 C4S but never thought it was really the greatest machine I have ever driven. Don't get me wrong, I think it IS one of the greatest STREET machines offered today and that is why I have one. While I have no complaints about the car other than the USA suspension (just ordered X-73 and 19" wheels), I just never went up to my rooftop and hollared the joys of owning a car that quite frankly young girls in Orange County drive to the tanning salon on a daily basis.

But today, I had an appointment that my wife needed to be at also, so I took my BMW and she took the C4S because we needed to go two different directions afterwards. When I saw that car driving down the street I was impressed with it. Not only is it a very nice GT style sports car for the street with some nice creature comforts but it really does look cool.

If you are looking for an affordable car that delivers some real nice bene's and does get some looks - my vote is for the C4S. BTW, I determined that for the $$ trade-off I personally did not think the Turbo was worth the extra. This S car has plenty of power at every level. I would buy another.

Just my .02 worth.
.....sittin' around thinking as I am waiting for my suspension..... cool!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I love mine. I find it very hard to hit its limits in a non track setting. With my 99 boxster with I had no problem hitting the limit and getting myself in trouble, but the C4S is glued to the road and just does what I want it to do.

Plus its the best looking 996 ever (flame suite on)
Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bernocco930S
I am going to be very candid about this question but first just a touch of back ground. I have been racing cars since the late 60's with a few west coast SCCA Division championships and have most recently owned and driven a Hendrick Winston Cup stock car in historic NASCAR raod racing - so I am not a new comer to speed done right. I enjoy the entire package that Porsche delivered in my 2004 C4S but never thought it was really the greatest machine I have ever driven. Don't get me wrong, I think it IS one of the greatest STREET machines offered today and that is why I have one. While I have no complaints about the car other than the USA suspension (just ordered X-73 and 19" wheels), I just never went up to my rooftop and hollared the joys of owning a car that quite frankly young girls in Orange County drive to the tanning salon on a daily basis.

But today, I had an appointment that my wife needed to be at also, so I took my BMW and she took the C4S because we needed to go two different directions afterwards. When I saw that car driving down the street I was impressed with it. Not only is it a very nice GT style sports car for the street with some nice creature comforts but it really does look cool.

If you are looking for an affordable car that delivers some real nice bene's and does get some looks - my vote is for the C4S. BTW, I determined that for the $$ trade-off I personally did not think the Turbo was worth the extra. This S car has plenty of power at every level. I would buy another.

Just my .02 worth.
.....sittin' around thinking as I am waiting for my suspension..... cool!
lovely post thx
Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Yes, it is Kirkland, WA. Do you live in the area?

I have a daily driver so this would be my dry day car so AWD isn't a pro or con for me especially since I won't be tracking this car.

Plus, I would put on 19 x 11.5" aftermarket wheels w/ RE050A PPs.

Regardless, thx for the advice. I appreciate it very much.

I'm here in Portland, so no stranger to the wet conditions. To be honest if I was only going to drive in summer conditions, I guess I would prefer a Carrera 2S with the X-51 over the C4S...

Quick Reply: 996 C4S guys: How are you liking your car?