Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C4S guys: How are you liking your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the thing that gets me is the grip - it's massive. Turn the wheel and hold on, baby...

The car's a hoot.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL thx guys and the always animated Ray. =D

I've driven the Turbo and the 996 C2 and 997S, but never driven the C4S. I love that rear end and like that it's really hard to find even in Microsoft land.

But I wonder if I go for a C4S whether I'll regret not getting the Turbo with its additional power and respect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm clear on the notion that some, not all 911s are superior to the BMW M driving experience, but understand that even within the 911 line-up there are haves and have-nots (relatively speaking).

I have put my E46 M3 up for sale on eBay and if it sells at the reserve price, I will pick-up a 911 and be a paying member of Rennlist and be the biggest 911 ***** ever. j/k

Just not sure which path to go down. The C4S is the best looking 996, but far from the lightest and powerful. Will vanity make-up for the less impressive butt dyno?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Love mine. Outstanding in every weather condition. The red reflector strip and widebody are perfection! I would never trade up for a 997 4S, while I like the new interior, there isn't enough hp difference to make a $$change and the 997s are not all that good looking with the only exception being the GT3.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:21 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

A biased crowd no doubt, but as most of the posts indicate, it's an outstanding handling car that's deceptively quick. It has a tendency to understeer with the stock alignment specs but a slight change to the rear camber and toe-in settings neutralizes this. I find the suspension slightly on the harsh side for long freeway trips but not unbearably so. It's not my daily driver so I always look forward to taking it out on a drive.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I have put my E46 M3 up for sale on eBay and if it sells at the reserve price, I will pick-up a 911 and be a paying member of Rennlist and be the biggest 911 ***** ever. j/k
Whoa there buddy. Who told you you could have my job? Don't make me come down on you like a ton of bricks....

Old 03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The C4S is the best looking 996, but far from the lightest and powerful. Will vanity make-up for the less impressive butt dyno?

Oh Ben... you have certainly changed your tune. Remember back a few months ago, you said the C4S was ugly and the rear-end was too big , something like: "it needed extra's to be added to the body to make it look right?" You also said: "the M3 was the FAR better looking car."

Just curious, what made you realize how wrong you were?

God I LOVE getting the last laff!!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Benjamin,

If Kirkland is Kirkland Washington, then the C4s is an ideal car. The amount of grip in the wet (but not icy) conditions here in the NW is impressive. You can literally take wet corners as if in summer, with summer tires on. Once there is ice on the road you do have to dial it back with summer tires. But winter tires are a good investment unless you have another vehicle for the few days it actually snows and sticks. The AWD is not for ice/snow, it's for wet weather handling. I cannot stress that enough. Of course with the right winter rubber it handles very well in the snow (assuming it doesn't low center, especially if you've had a suspension upgrade).
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default That is exactly what I want!

Originally Posted by pl
go for a TT
That is exactly what I really want!
However, being a small time musician, it is going to take a long time... but I will get it.

Waiting for a TT is what stops me from futher modifying and spending more
money on my C4S.

However, at 320 HP, which in a C4S means 28% less at the wheels ( 270 HP )
due to the ineficiency of AWD, - Porsche here in Toronto just gave me their
G-Tech print out showing these figures, as per my request.

In earlier days, Porsche used to be one of the most powerful cars around.
Now, many cars have 600 and plus HP.

However, at 320 HP, which in a C4S means 28% less at the wheels ( 270 HP )
due to the ineficiency of AWD, - Porsche here in Toronto just gave me their
G-Tech print out showing these figures, as per my request.

In an article I just read, 1000 to 1500 HP will be more and more comon in the
near future, and many here, me included, would prefer to buy a 1500 HP
Porsche than a 270 HP.

Torque is also quite low too 261 Ft/LBs.

For the 70's these numbers were impressive, but not in 2007.

John
Old 03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
In earlier days, Porsche used to be one of the most powerful cars around.
Now, many cars have 600 and plus HP.

My personal experience is that historically speaking, Porsche has never ruled the 0-60 Olympics and has never sought to do so.

You are right there are a load of sporty coupes and even sedans with a huge engine shoehorned into them. I'm not into that. I'd much rather take a 30 MPH corner at 70 than drive down the highway at 155.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Oh Ben... you have certainly changed your tune. Remember back a few months ago, you said the C4S was ugly and the rear-end was too big , something like: "it needed extra's to be added to the body to make it look right?" You also said: "the M3 was the FAR better looking car."

Just curious, what made you realize how wrong you were?

God I LOVE getting the last laff!!
I still see the M3 as the better looking car. It's not a complete upgrade to me. The M3 lacks the P-badge, the sound and the steering. I'd be happy with either car.

Now if I could justify putting a bit more of my money into cars, then I'd get the 997/996 Turbo and never look back.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Luckyr
Benjamin,

If Kirkland is Kirkland Washington, then the C4s is an ideal car. The amount of grip in the wet (but not icy) conditions here in the NW is impressive. You can literally take wet corners as if in summer, with summer tires on. Once there is ice on the road you do have to dial it back with summer tires. But winter tires are a good investment unless you have another vehicle for the few days it actually snows and sticks. The AWD is not for ice/snow, it's for wet weather handling. I cannot stress that enough. Of course with the right winter rubber it handles very well in the snow (assuming it doesn't low center, especially if you've had a suspension upgrade).
Yes, it is Kirkland, WA. Do you live in the area?

I have a daily driver so this would be my dry day car so AWD isn't a pro or con for me especially since I won't be tracking this car.

Plus, I would put on 19 x 11.5" aftermarket wheels w/ RE050A PPs.

Regardless, thx for the advice. I appreciate it very much.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I still see the M3 as the better looking car. It's not a complete upgrade to me. The M3 lacks the P-badge, the sound and the steering. I'd be happy with either car.

Now if I could justify putting a bit more of my money into cars, then I'd get the 997/996 Turbo and never look back.
I would recommend AGAINST buying a car for the badge. The sound and steering? That's not enough to move away from a car that you think is the better looking one, especially since it has similar power/weight performance.

Looks of a car are VERY important. Don't buy a car you don't even think looks as good. Stick w/ your M3!!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The M3 lacks the P-badge
Big mistake, don't buy it for the badge. If you'd really be happy with either car why change?

The answer is that these cars are far more different than they are alike and those differences go way beyond the "badge" that each wears.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I figured some of you would nit-pick at the badge, but whatever.

Badge counts to an extent as the P-badge shows history in motorsport and not just a P-badge for badge's sake, but a P-badge on a 911 which we all know and love. I'm not inquiring about the Cayman or Boxster driving experience. I'm asking specifically about a certain 911 model here. The M badge has history as well, but not nearly as deep as the 911 P-badge.

And sound and steering are two huge things to make the driving experience better. I've had enough seat time to appreciate the 911 drive to where I would overlook the vanity aspect of things and it's not even a huge jump off.

The discussion is how you're liking your C4S and not whether Ben thinks the M3 is better looking than the C4S and based on this reason alone why one would discourage him from looking at a possible move. I'll post that topic at some later point in time.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 03-21-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:53 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my C4S. Best car I've ever owned. Use it as a weekend car only, works great taking the wife and our daughter on weekend rides.

I would only sell it for a 996 Turbo or 997S

Quick Reply: 996 C4S guys: How are you liking your car?