Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Uhhh Ohhh... oil on the garage floor... but also some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uhhh Ohhh... oil on the garage floor... but also some good news!

My wife just pulled out of the garage in the 996, and as I was headed back into the house I noticed a spot of oil on the garage floor. Based on where the car always sits I would say it is a new leak (i.e. no additional oil stains) and it is probably an RMS leak.

So I call the dealer to book the car in quickly because my factory warranty expires at the end of April and I don't want to take any chances. So the service manager looks the car up to double check the warranty info and informs me that a previous owner bought the car w/CPO which transfers to me, and is good until April 2009!!! So I guess I really got a great deal on my car when I bought it last June.

I will let you guys know how things go when they look at the car next week.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 extra unexpected years of CPO warranty... that's like finding a few $k in the pocket of your jeans...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

That's great - with my luck I would find out about the warranty the day after it expired...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

I wanted to give an update on the oil leak I discovered a few weeks back. The dealer confirmed my suspicions that the RMS was the cause of the leak. For the record they replaced it with part # 997-101-212-00. Fortunately all covered under warranty.

While they were in there I had them replace the clutch, as they stated it only had about 20% of its life left and there would be no labor charge since they were already doing the RMS. I didn't think the old clutch felt too bad until I experienced the new clutch. The clutch is now so light I had to learn to drive the car all over again. They also replaced the shift cables under warranty as apparently something was damaged. I never felt the shift action was too bad before, but once again it was a noticable improvement.

One last thing... even though I was only at 26K miles, I had them perform the 30K service. I didn't specify a particular oil, but they filled it up with Mobil1 0w-40. So apparently they don't feel there is any issue with the 0w-40, even in the summer heat of Atlanta.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

damn, the rms was a blessing in disguise...lots of new stuff. It pays to go dealer, I guess they want you as a customer, the dealer sounds like a keeper!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Blackness
Pro

Yep, sounds like you have a good dealer there. FWIW, the dealer here in E. Central FL uses 0W40 as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Zoolander
Racer

thats great roob
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

finding money in the pocket of your jeans? It is more like going to the bank hoping that you have enough money to withdraw to go to the grocery store...only to find out an old uncle of yours passed away (that you did not know) and he left you $ 5,000 ....
Old 04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
finding money in the pocket of your jeans? It is more like going to the bank hoping that you have enough money to withdraw to go to the grocery store...only to find out an old uncle of yours passed away (that you did not know) and he left you $ 5,000 ....
Believe it or not, on the very same day I found out about the CPO warranty, I was cleaning our X5 and found a bracelet under the rear deck where the spare tire is. I guess it must have fallen out of the bag or coat pocket of the previous owner and slid down there. Anyway, I got to searching on the Internet and discovered it was a Chimento Ofidio 18K white gold bracelet worth... $2200!!! Needless to say, this was a day that will be long remembered. (BTW, my wife doesn't like the bracelet, so it will probably end up on eBay)
Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would return it to the previous owner, if you know who that is.
(after having them describe it)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by wrljet
I would return it to the previous owner, if you know who that is.
(after having them describe it)
So would I, but I got the X5 from CarMax, so I have no idea who owned it before.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Blackness
Pro

In your spare time, can you come clean out my car?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

Any advice on Lotto numbers for tonight?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Things sound like they are going great for you! Congrats!

I'm surprised that 80% of the clutch was used up after only 26k...? They're usually good for 100k, right?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by rroobbcc
Believe it or not, on the very same day I found out about the CPO warranty, I was cleaning our X5 and found a bracelet under the rear deck where the spare tire is. I guess it must have fallen out of the bag or coat pocket of the previous owner and slid down there. Anyway, I got to searching on the Internet and discovered it was a Chimento Ofidio 18K white gold bracelet worth... $2200!!! Needless to say, this was a day that will be long remembered. (BTW, my wife doesn't like the bracelet, so it will probably end up on eBay)

Wow.

OK that's it, I'm going to clean my SUV right now! I got it used and who knows!

Quick Reply: Uhhh Ohhh... oil on the garage floor... but also some good news!