996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

$1263.68 rock chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
M3killa
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a cf hood and be done with it. Ditch the old crapper and you'll be lighter and cooler!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi guys, I really appreciate the advice. The estimate seemed ridiculous. I also had my doubts about respraying just a portion of the hood. I will definitely obtain additional estimates for the repair. If I was paying the entire amount without insurance, I would find a professional detailer to repair just the chip and live with the results. Since I'm submitting it to my insurance, I will be sure and have it done right. I expect the hood will need repainted.
When I restored the car, I considered only having it partially repainted. I was told that my color would be almost impossible to match if I only had some of the panels resprayed.
SeanR, it looks a little better now..I should probably change my avitar.
Edgy01, that price seemed crazy; however, if I end up having the entire hood resprayed, the final cost might be higher.
cdodkin, I agree with you. To do it right, the hood should probably be resprayed.
itorque, it sounds like your car is being repaired so it will look like new. I would enjoy seeing your pictures after the repair. Good luck.
grahamwatson, my dad would agree with you..Earl Schieb is even cheaper.
porschesmile, I agree and I will.
Chuck, I'll see you Saturday.. I'll take you up on your offer.
911fiend, good advice. Could you give me the name and number...any idea how much?
MJBird993....what mud flaps should I used with that combo..Yosemite Sam?
Last930, good advice, thanks.
rbjbbb, that seems like a reasonable price for the work you had done.
Marv, I would have needed a light and siren to catch him..unfortunately I was in the wrong car.
porschedog & M3killa, I'm actually seriously considering the CF hood. How tacky would it look with vesuvio metallic. I would have to add CF mirrors and maybe a CF rear spoiler. Would it look like a rice rocket with a fart can?
Thanks again guys for the advice.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my hood repainted, vesuvio metallic, prior to the 4x4 running over the top of it. Very high end shop, charged me $614 for the hood. But, they already were repainting the bumper and fender and so I think they gave me a break since I was paying for it out of pocket (waste of money now). There were rock chips, but nothing bigger than an 1/8 inch, and no actual metal damage (don't know if yours had a little or not).

If you turning it into insurance, go for the best. Your out the deductible either way.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mfletch: After the G24 meetup Saturday we can take a ride over to the guy's shop...he has a first class operation with two large paint booths, drying bins, frame straighteners, wheel alignment etc etc. He works on high end BMW, Mercedes, Porsche....but his estimates will surprise you. He used to be the manager of Bertelucci's until he opened his own shop....right off Antelope so we're close to Niello's. See you Saturday....I'll have my garage make-over done by then....can't wait.
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Troy, thanks for the information. How did your paint come out? Were they able to match the rest of the car?
How would a carbon fiber hood look with vesuvio metallic?
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mfletch: I see we're both online at exactly the same time....must be Karma.

Quick Reply: $1263.68 rock chip