Another nice Pre-owned...I drove it

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another nice Pre-owned...I drove it

Sorry for posting rant type threads, but...

I decided that I would like a C4 (if I have to choose between a C2 and equal C4), and that I probably want an '01, since I like the older lights, and they usually come with the rims I love.

I spotted this ad on Cars.com.

C4, advertised as a C2?

It's at a dealer that says something like "all pre-owned are certified by Porsche..". This one doesn't say certified, says RWD when it's clearly a C4, doesn't list the options, and the price - what gives? Why price a car so far out of line? I like it, and would go see it if it wasn't $8k too much!

Where are all the silver '01 C2-C4's w/ 3-spoke wheel, Turbo Looks, and all leather interiors for sale? It's like EVERY C2 for sale is a Cabrio (and I don't want a convertible)!? Do the coupes go on sale after the winter?

Last edited by AndyK; 03-20-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto that. Funny. I just finished shopping and it seemed there were like 10 cab for every one coupe on the market!!
Old 03-18-2007, 05:23 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does not look like a C4 it looks like a narrow body to me. I think someone just put that badge on there. I will sell you my 99 if you really want a C2 full carbon package full leather sport exhaust. etc...
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, that car looks beautiful. And I agree with you....those are my all-time favorite Porsche wheels. Here's a better link, by the way:

http://don-rosen.porschedealer.com/p...ntoryid=296034
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

According to their listing of pre-owned cars, this silver one that you're looking at is not certified. Here's the link to their list of cars presently for sale:

http://don-rosen.porschedealer.com/p...ars/search.php
Old 03-18-2007, 05:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ReidN
It does not look like a C4 it looks like a narrow body to me. I think someone just put that badge on there. I will sell you my 99 if you really want a C2 full carbon package full leather sport exhaust. etc...
You are thinking of a C4S. C4's are narrow body cars.

Thanks, but I want an '01 with a CPO Warranty....That's why this car makes no sense at $48k!? Not certified, partial leather, 4-spoke wheel, etc.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Weird. That is a narrow body. I've always been concerned with cars that I've seen at Don Rosen. When I was looking for my car they seemed overpriced and underquality.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

I've had only one experience with Don Rosen Porsche. I bought my '99 911 from them last year. They certified it, and it had 45K miles on it. They were also very flexible on the price and they were a real pleasure to deal with.

I dealt with Bill Rawlings (the salesman), and found him to be a "no pressure" kind of guy. It won't cost you anything to go there and look at the car you're interested in. At 26K miles, it would be worth your while to go drive it, eh?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did they lower the price by $8k and then certify it?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:24 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
Did they lower the price by $8k and then certify it?
They lowered the price substantially, and they certified it. I never really did understand how they could certify a 7 year-old car, but they did. I'm glad they did because, like you, I wouldn't have bought it unless it was certified.

If you're really interested in that car (and it does look like a beauty), go look at it. That won't cost you anything, and if you have an experience like I did, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Let me tell you one thing that happened which surprised me.....I suspected some rear body damage on my car because the "Carrera" badge looked a little crooked. To calm my fears, the sales manager brought the paint meter out and metered the entire car. Paint thickness everywhere was within spec....a pretty good indication that there was no body damage anywhere on the car. That he did it front of me was a gutsy move. I liked that.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 PM
carbonfiber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does look like a c4 to me. Note the silver brake calipers ala all wheel drive. black was standard on c2.
JIM
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbonfiber
It does look like a c4 to me. Note the silver brake calipers ala all wheel drive. black was standard on c2.
JIM
I have no doubt it's a C4, just not labled AWD in the ad. It says the car has a 4-spoke steering wheel, but I could almost see a Porsche crest on the wheel in one of the rear photos. Anyone see that?

I assume for most Porsche dealers these cars are not worh their time - they wanna sell $90k new cars! Although paying $30k on a trade in, and selling for $48k is probably more profit than they make on any new car!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I went to Don Rosen and drove this car today. The car is basically loaded except for all leather and sport seats. It has (thanks Jerry for doing a pre-check and getting the options list for me):

Base car: $72,000
Artic Silver Metallic: $805
Leather seats: $1,490
Supple leather option (front and rear): $390
Comfort package: $2,090
(this includes power seats, driver's side memory seat, lumbar support left and right)
Technic package: $2,190
(this includes headlight washers, hi-fi sound, Xenon headlights, on board computer, and CD/AM/FM radio)
Heated front seats: $400
18" turbo look wheels: $1,190
3 spoke leather wheel, with colored Porsche crest: $255
Black floor mats with Porsche lettering: $110
Stainless steel exhaust pipes: 750
Destination charge: $765

TOTAL STICKER PRICE: $82,435

In addition, there is a full set of snow tires on replica Twist rims thrown in with the car.

When I got there, the car was running, and the service guy was attatching the windshield wiper. Seems when you turn on the wipers when they are frozen, they break off? Anyway, the car has been sitting on the dealer's lot for a month. I noticed the front brakes are shot - pads are worn, rotors looked scored. The tires (originals) are nearly bald too. I drove the car, and it performed nicely, although a bit rough. The clutch felt very stiff, as in it took a decent amount of effort to push the pedal. There was a bit of a steering wheel shimmy, I assume due to the lame tires? Didn't seem to slip on hard acceleration. The roughness was probably from sitting for a month (or longer). Overall, my first 996 drive, so it's hard to comment without a benchmark.

The dealer said the car will be certified, and the following would be included in the $44k price:

30k Service
New Tires
New front brake pads (not rotors)
CPO warranty

When I said when will the work be completed, so I can get a proper test drive, they said they would NOT do the work until after I said I wanted the car. The car has been sitting in inventory for a month, and they have a 45-day turn around rule. After 45 days, I guess they auction the car off, or sell it wholesale. They said why do all that work, if they are just going to end up dumping the car wholesale.

I said $44k was too high, considering I had to trust them to put the car right after I signed on the dotted line (pretty unheard of IMHO). I said $41k was more like it, IF all the work was done as they said.

As far as maintenance records, everything was done at this dealership. But, aside from the 15k service, and a new shock mount, no other records of service.

So, what are your thoughts on this car? It has 26k miles, and every option I would want in a C4. BUT, it really hasn't been pampered, and might need more than brake pads and tires. There is the free winter rims and tires that I could sell to lower the overall price?

Do I walk away, or what?

Thanks.

Last edited by AndyK; 03-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

-- Pre-facelift model year
-- No Aero
-- Partial Leather

= Ordinary Porsche 996 C4, "nothing special"

Given this, $41K seems a little high.

It seems that you are paying the extra $ for the low miles. Does not seem worth it to me if you are sticking to CPO cars only.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by discoganya
-- Pre-facelift model year
-- No Aero
-- Partial Leather

= Ordinary Porsche 996 C4, "nothing special"

Given this, $41K seems a little high.

It seems that you are paying the extra $ for the low miles. Does not seem worth it to me if you are sticking to CPO cars only.
Wouldn't you consider this a well-optioned C4? Doesn't have the full leather, but it has $10k worth of goodies, and low miles.

Quick Reply: Another nice Pre-owned...I drove it