996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another nice Pre-owned...I drove it

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to get a PPI inspection with the mechanic. Push them on the wear items that won't be coverred under CPO. Clutch sounds suspicious.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certified Pre-Owned Program

Ah, so here's how Porsche does it (I looked it up today). If a Porsche is sold outside the new vehicle warranty (4 years/50,000 miles, whichever comes first), the car can be certified under their Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty plan for two years from the date of sale or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The car has to be less than 8 years old AND pass a 100 + point inspection check list. Any fault not meeting the inspection standard must be repaired for the car qualify for this program using original Porsche parts.

Last edited by VGM911; 03-20-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, I see that you like the car, but I do also believe it's overpriced, even with $41k. Well-optioned is relative; bring it to a dealer the day after you buy it and ask him if he'd pay you a premium for the memory seat. He'll not. Options do usually not infuence the price for used cars. They can make them more attractive but come on! This is not a unique car. There are tons of pre-facelift silver 996 Coupes out there. You can do better than $41K.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My $0.02 is that $44k does not sound like a bad deal for that car. Porsche 996's were not produced in huge numbers (much larger numbers than past 911's, but still very low production compared to most cars). The visual differences to the 997 (to the average man on the street) are minimal and they offer great bang for the buck right now.

The market for these car just in not quite as low as some on this board seem to think they are. Sure you can find ratty, high mileage cars for much less but we are talking about a low mileage, good condition, Porsche certified car here. Absolutely push them as low as possible, but if this is the car you want I'm not sure I'd let it slip away if the ask/sell price gap is relatively small.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidN
It does not look like a C4 it looks like a narrow body to me. I think someone just put that badge on there. I will sell you my 99 if you really want a C2 full carbon package full leather sport exhaust. etc...
The C4 was a narrow body, just had the AWD, titanium color brake calipers and a popcorn machine in the center console - if you don't see the popcorn machine then it had the popcorn machine delete option.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
My $0.02 is that $44k does not sound like a bad deal for that car. Porsche 996's were not produced in huge numbers (much larger numbers than past 911's, but still very low production compared to most cars). The visual differences to the 997 (to the average man on the street) are minimal and they offer great bang for the buck right now.

The market for these car just in not quite as low as some on this board seem to think they are. Sure you can find ratty, high mileage cars for much less but we are talking about a low mileage, good condition, Porsche certified car here. Absolutely push them as low as possible, but if this is the car you want I'm not sure I'd let it slip away if the ask/sell price gap is relatively small.

Good luck

Ray,

I'm in full agreement with your points. In addition, sometimes a prospective buyer's passion/emotion/lust for a car, his budget, and/or local supply and demand will "shape" the value of the car in that prospective buyer's mind and in the seller's mind, as well.

I don't know if Andy should buy this car, but I think he'll make the best decision based on all the factors that are important to him. But the price doesn't seem terribly out of line for what the car is - a very clean, low mileage, well-optioned, CPO 2001 C4. The fact that it's "non-aero," "pre-facelift," etc. may, in fact, be appealing to certain buyers, rather than detrimental.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Tomb
Advanced

Another thought, as spring unfolds prices aren't going to go down. It may be a few thousand high, but you will forget about that as you enjoy the ride over the years.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Wouldn't you consider this a well-optioned C4? Doesn't have the full leather, but it has $10k worth of goodies, and low miles.
10K is not a lot for Porsche options. I know this car is 6-7 years old, but modern Porsche options are expensive. The heated seats / memory seats will command a ZERO premium after you drive it off the dealers lot. Here is an example of what some options cost nowadays (taken from the Porsche website):

450 Ceramic Composite Brakes - PCCB $8,150
99 Leather Interior To Sample $5,115
06 Natural Leather Brown (Special Leather) $4,875
550 Hard Top $3,490
EAD Carbon Package Switch Panel $2,700
XTL Door Finishers In Carbon $2,700
P01 Adaptive Sport Seats $2,695
CVT Leather Door And Rear Speakers $2,570
404 19" Turbo Wheels $2,440
XLF Sport Exhaust System $2,400
XRR 19" Carrera Sport Wheel $2,385
672 Extended Navigation Module $2,275
CUF PCM Package Painted Exterior Color $2,230
CCP Aluminum Look PCM Package $2,230
CMF PCM Package Painted Black $2,230
CUR Leather PCM Package $2,230
670 Navigation For PCM $2,070
EAA Leather Package Switch Panel $2,050
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it guys. Here we're arguing that >40K for a 01 C4 are a good deal and in this thread 99 C4 we are pushing the private seller down to the low 30s for a 99 C4 with the same low miles? OK, there's a difference in options and the CPO but come on, for $1K you get a new 3-spoke steering wheel and for the rest of the difference you almost get a new engine. What do I miss?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C4 was a narrow body, just had the AWD, titanium color brake calipers and a popcorn machine in the center console - if you don't see the popcorn machine then it had the popcorn machine delete option.
I love popcorn mmmmm Why did my C2 not come with that option?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
evansaero
Pro

IMHO

Price is little high, but if it's the car of your dreams and has the options and color and you don't think you will find another like it.

Go for it, and have buyer’s remorse later
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Blackness
Pro

At $41k w/CPO doesn't seem to be a bad deal. The car has to be right before than can CPO it. What tires are they going to put on it? Do you have any say in that?

As far as the roughness, the 996 clutch is fairly heavy. The main thing I would look out for there is any slippage under acceleration. You should also make sure they do an alignment as part of the deal.

Since this is the first 996 you've driven, I would suggest you drive a couple others that may be in better running order (fresher tires, alignment, etc.) to get a better baseline. Does the dealer have a couple of cars you could drive for comparison? I think you should drive an '02 or newer as well.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car is priced at $44k. I mentioned $41k, but the dealer wouldn't budge.

Do all certified cars get the certification (and new parts) after the deal is made? I thought it was kind of shady that the dealer would make me pay for the car first, and hope the car drove better with new brakes and tires, etc.?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
evansaero
Pro

How does a dealer CPO a car when it needs brakes and tires?

Only reason I could see for not putting the brakes and tires on is if you don't buy it the next person might not try so hard to hve them replaced and that gives them more room to make a deal.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
The car is priced at $44k. I mentioned $41k, but the dealer wouldn't budge.

Do all certified cars get the certification (and new parts) after the deal is made? I thought it was kind of shady that the dealer would make me pay for the car first, and hope the car drove better with new brakes and tires, etc.?
Porsche specifies minimum tread depth and pad thickness for CPO certification. Your dealer can't (legitimately) certify the car if it does not pass on all Porsche specified parameters.

However, as long as the dealer puts those items on the "Fix it" list (I don't know what the official name for the document is) before you hand over the cash and sign on the dotted line you should be covered.

Quick Reply: Another nice Pre-owned...I drove it