Did you know that in the tool bag...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Can someone PLEASE post a pic of the mysterious to me rear fog light. I have never seen one.
Tippy - Turn your headlights on then pull the light switch out (toward the rear)ONE notch and the front fog/driving lights will illuminate. Pull the light switch out to the SECOND notch and the rear fog light will illuminate.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hwk73 that is true about the Oktoberfest Schwaben vs Bayern but less we forget they have their own fest at the exact same time in Stuttgart. Smaller, fewer drunk tourist and of course not as good beer but none the less it still a great time!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT!? I didn't know either and will probably forget before the next brake job.

there is a stud to put in place of one lug bolt to aid in installing the wheels? I read this in Excellence yesterday and I was thinking what a PITA to lift my wheels and tires on and start the first lug bolt when I did a full brake job last weekend.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
is there anything neat for the 99 model....?

Yes. If you turn the key in the ignition, put it in gear and give it some gas, it makes you smile.

Also, you can get one for way less than 30 large, and only your fellow Rennlisters will know the difference between it and a 2007 997.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Here is a picture of the rear fog lights

I wired up them together so both come on now:

I also bought an extra "threaded bolt for assembly wheels" P/N 999.571.074.30 to keep in my toolbox. It is invaluable in removing the wheels or lining them up on installation.

BTW, some extra trivia is that the threads on the Porsche are the same as on my Audis and VWs so this bolt works on them as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

About those "threaded bolt for assembly wheels" - when you have the PCCB setup, you automatically get two of them. You really don't want to bonk the ceramic rotor with a wheel. $$$
Old 03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I wired up them together so both come on now:

I also bought an extra "threaded bolt for assembly wheels" P/N 999.571.074.30 to keep in my toolbox. It is invaluable in removing the wheels or lining them up on installation.

BTW, some extra trivia is that the threads on the Porsche are the same as on my Audis and VWs so this bolt works on them as well.
Bare with me, is it the two end lights in your pic because my car looks like that with just the headlights on, I am confused
Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by AllanJ
About those "threaded bolt for assembly wheels" - when you have the PCCB setup, you automatically get two of them. You really don't want to bonk the ceramic rotor with a wheel. $$$
Nothing like chunks of carbon flying off
Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Bare with me
Only if you go first.....

But on to your question about the lights. It is probably best if you take a look at your own Porsche's taillights at night. The inboard lamps are the taillights, and the outboard lamps are the rear fog lamps. Refer to your owners manual on how to turn them on.

Since the rear fog lamps are the same brightness as your brake lights, here in the US, only the left light is wired so as not to confuse someone behind you that you are braking. I have wired the left rear fog lamp to the right one so that both are powered as they are in Europe.

But remember they are only for driving in fog so the car behind you can see you, hence the name "fog" light.

There is almost nothing more retarded than someone driving down the road in clear weather with their front fog lights on. The only thing more retarded is for them to have the rear fogs on or refusing to yield the left lane!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Mine both come on (outboard lights, little -194 bulbs) with just the headlight switch turned to the right, not even pulling the switch aft. Did someone wire mine direct with the switch I wonder?!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Mine both come on (outboard lights, little -194 bulbs) with just the headlight switch turned to the right, not even pulling the switch aft. Did someone wire mine direct with the switch I wonder?!
No, those are your side marker lights. The rear fog lights are the next ones down. Rear fog lights shine like bright brake lights.

Here is an example:

Rear Fog light off:

Rear Fog light on:

The lights in the rear reflector are (from outboard to inboard)

side marker
Rear fog
Reverse light
Brake/taillight
and on top-turn signal
Old 03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Thanks Orient, I will have to check tonight

Quick Reply: Did you know that in the tool bag...