996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My P car and my 19 Year Old...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

I think a poster above said it best - it all depends upon the track record of the kid. Can they be trusted? Have they shown a good track record of responsible behavior? Are they prone to impulsive behavior? Do they show off with friends?

The last thing we want is another Nicole Catsouras.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My youngest son, now 29 has always been courteous, respectful, careful, responsible, etc. He drove my 996 with me for about 10 miles thru a canyon the day I bought it. My wife and I have each had sports cars, I, Harleys and Sports Bikes as well as daily drivers since my son was born. So exotic cars and motorcycles were nothing special to him but just fixtures or implements that have always been in the garage.

I suggested that he take my Jaguar XJS to the Senior Prom rather than his Suzuki Samari and while not overwhelmed he thought that was cool. He also would drive one of my motorcycles around the neighborhood occasionally by invitation but would never ask. My wife had Corvettes during his first few years of driving and he never asked to sample one of those, nor was the invitation extended.

Seems he was always more interested in things people his own age were doing like video games, roller blades, skate boards, etc., than vehicles that his parents had. He bought a Ducati 748 a few years ago and owns Grand Cherokee and another Jeep.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
The last thing we want is another Nicole Catsouras.
who?

anyhow you made a good point. to the OP: been driving cars with way more than recommended HP since I was 16. Never got into any serious trouble or hurt anyone...but it depends on the kid. Honestly, he's in college...so he's probably worked his way out of the highskool show off to all your peers mentality because at college you're just one kid in a bajillion so who cares lol. I think a lot of kids with even the most basic elements of common sense would realize that doing 200 down a 40 zone is not smart at all..even if they are trying to show off.

Drive with him as much as possible...and tell him that u'll put yer foot up his *** (think 70's show) if he whacks the car up.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's driven it before so you shouldn't have worried.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
who?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Nasty accident. A sad waste of a car and an unpleasant way for a person to go.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
lanny
Racer

I am thankful to have a son to share my love of p-cars with even though he is only 3. While on the potty he has started to look at my dupont registry and excellence so I know that I am in trouble when he can drive
Old 03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Something to think about, a few days age I drove my Carrera up to Alta, a ski resort at the top of a steep twisty canyon road. For the most part, the speed limit is 40 mph with a passing lane for a couple of miles near the top. I was enjoying the twisties gliding 60-65mph and didn't want to push it too hard because of all the residual sand still on the roadway from winter maintainence. All of a sudden I see a car rapidly approaching in my mirror and then 2 kids fly by passing me in a Nissan with the top down. The passenger has his arms up in the air swaying back and forth like in a roller coaster and by the line they are taking thru the turns, I expected to find the car overturned not too far ahead.

Lucky for them, they are still alive. Sometime later thay made a very high speed pass in a no passing zone coming down the canyon. They passed half a dozen cars behind me, and then caught me and made the pass, illegally as well. These guys looked to be 16-17 yo, obviously in their parents car.

Nearly every year around here, some high school kids get killed in a high speed car accident. It seems like it's often an exotic that was borrowed from dad or mom and joy riding was the plan. Kids don't realize the limitations of high powered vehicles and often kill themselves, innocent passengers and pedestrians. It is the parents responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

when my 2 year old gets into harvard or the like with a full scholarship, she will get a porsche of her own. that was what my father told me, and boy did i study my *** off and fulfilled that dream.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I too have a 19 year old son and we both have a love of cars, Porsches included. We have shared many incredible experiences together at WGI, VIR and Mont Tremblant. My son has seen his share of "offs" (luckily not our own) and he understands what can go wrong. I trust his judgement and let him have my Pcar at will. BTW he helps me maintain my car and always does so willingly. So I agree with the general theme here which is to go with your gut about your own child. Some kids are ready for the responsibility and some aren't. If you think he will be responsible then let him have a ball and if that voice inside says it's a mistake then don't do it.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Hey guys thanks for your feedback. Tim I am sorry about your loss and it does definately puts a different perspective on the situation. My son is no different from any other 19 year old. He is a good student and has a full scholorship which fortunately does not cost me anything. The P car is my first "performance" car in camparison to my other previous cars which have mostly been SUV's. I have let him drive the P-car many times with me as a passenger and he drives pretty well. He is definately aware of the circumstances if he would get a ticket or even worse an accident. Unfortunately these cars are a magnet, especially when a young driver is behind the wheel, for police and other young drivers wanting to show off and race. I live in miami and the p car is my daily driver. ALMOST EVERY DAY a get a young kid driving in a mustang, camaro, corvette or any other similar car wanting to race me down the highway or local street. Fortunately my experience and maturity tells me that I know better. However when a teen is challenged by another teen all bets are off!!!! I do not care how mature, intelligent or responsible your teen is sooner or later they will make a decision that they will later regret and that is my fear. In the meantime I will evaluate every request and hopefully make the right choice.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Manny - The real question is, How many miles did your son put on the car in the hour that he had it out? You said it was about 6 miles roundtrip to the gym but my guess is that he put 50 miles or so on the car. At least his right leg got a good work out.

I have a daughter who is about to turn 13 but luckily for me she is not into cars, although with my luck that will quickly change when she turns 16.

Tim - I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Your story certainly does put discussions about cars in perspective. I can't imagine something happening to one of my daughters, everything I own pales in comparison to them and their health.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim - Shows everything is relative, and very sorry to hear about your loss.

My kids are 4 and 2. By the time they can drive, I'll be driving a future Porsche - I assume all electric, and very expensive! We'll see what happens then! All I can say for sure is I will try and teach them how to be responsible, both in life, and in MY car! Wish me luck!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As Ronald Regan said, "trust, but verify". Your p-car could get your son into a heap of trouble very fast.

http://www.alltrackusa.com/

Glad his first solo went well!!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You have probably made the biggest mistake ever in the life of your son. If he is anything like I was at 19 he will be hooked on these cars and will never be the same again! I drove my first Porsche at 19 and bought it. Now, 4 Porsches and several tens of thousands of dollars later, I'm still addicted. Why didn't you just hand him a crack pipe?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

just say NO.......NO........ NO........

Quick Reply: My P car and my 19 Year Old...