Sponsored by:

V1 Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I'll call BS on that from personal experience.

I've been hit by LASER, leaving town on a nice straight empty road, and just before I crossed to the higher speed limit.

Cop gunned me once before the speed sign, and then again shortly after.

The LASER detection in my X50 from the first hit stopped me from nailing the throttle, and saved me a ticket.

So if you want to **** away your LASER detector, you're welcome - but trying to convince people that it never saves you is totally bogus.

Why the hell even buy one if you believed that?
well, you highlight the distinguishing fact yourself in your own story. you got hit while accelerlating within the legal speed limit. how often does one get lasered (1) while accelerating and (2) under ths speed limit? most laser is on the highway where you're already crusing at above the speed limit. from my personal experience, it's generally only state cops who use laser so, yes, under your scenario, which might account for 2% of all times one can get hit with laser, a laser detector actually works. i'm not pissing away my laser detector, i have a VI where's it's included. it works better on smaller roads and some state highways where cops still use radar. all this being said, you should think a bit before throwing out words like "bogus" and "bs."
Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
well, you highlight the distinguishing fact yourself in your own story. you got hit while accelerlating within the legal speed limit. how often does one get lasered (1) while accelerating and (2) under ths speed limit? most laser is on the highway where you're already crusing at above the speed limit. from my personal experience, it's generally only state cops who use laser so, yes, under your scenario, which might account for 2% of all times one can get hit with laser, a laser detector actually works. i'm not pissing away my laser detector, i have a VI where's it's included. it works better on smaller roads and some state highways where cops still use radar. all this being said, you should think a bit before throwing out words like "bogus" and "bs."
Go ahead, convince yourself that you won't need Laser detection.

It saved me $150 and traffic school out of state - great investment.

Of course, I mounted my detector correctly to give myself a chance.

But hey, it's your life.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the best location to mount the damn thing? Thx
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Passport SRX with the both front and rear laser detection/diffusion, and I have to agree that although I don't care it's there, it will generally not save you from a ticket if you should be speeding... you're kind of toast once it goes off.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by GBG
Where is the best location to mount the damn thing? Thx
Check out:

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...detector/2.asp

or listen to what Mike Valentine has to say:

The downside of high mounting is the move away from the most common aiming points.
If one's objective is never to miss a laser encounter, I recommend mounting the detector as close to the typical laser aiming points as possible. Here in the US, most laser operators aim at the front license plate since it is usually made with a special reflective treatment to aid night-time visibility (works great for laser visibility too, day or night). If there's no front plate (some states don't require one), then a headlamp cluster or piece of bright grillwork is the next most promising aiming point.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Check out:

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...detector/2.asp

or listen to what Mike Valentine has to say:

oh, you mean mike valentine, the guy who's trying to sell you the radar? the only value in having a laser detector (other than, as you deftly pointed out, while accelerating under the speed limit with the intention of surpassing it and the cop intending to hit you several times while accelerating) is knowing which cops use laser and which use radar. knock on wood, my VI has never detected laser with cops around. if i see plenty of cops and my V1 does not detect laser or radar, but i know they're pulling people over, i can reasonably deduce they are using laser. i can further deduce that my V1 will be of little help while i speed through that area, and therefore i should be much more careful and/or not speed so much. that's the value for me. no detector is 100% and should only be used to facilitate your awareness of the road and where speed traps may be.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

oh, you mean mike valentine, the guy who's trying to sell you the radar? the only value in having a laser detector (other than, as you deftly pointed out, while accelerating under the speed limit with the intention of surpassing it and the cop intending to hit you several times while accelerating) is knowing which cops use laser and which use radar. knock on wood, my VI has never detected laser with cops around. if i see plenty of cops and my V1 does not detect laser or radar, but i know they're pulling people over, i can reasonably deduce they are using laser. i can further deduce that my V1 will be of little help while i speed through that area, and therefore i should be much more careful and/or not speed so much. that's the value for me. no detector is 100% and should only be used to facilitate your awareness of the road and where speed traps may be.
You are of course discounting the chance of picking up LASER scatter from the cops hitting vehicles in front of you on the road, giving you time to slow down.

Now if your V1 doesn't trigger - this may be because

1) It is mounted too high to 'see' the LASER

2) Is mounted to look through the tint at the top of your windshield, thus drastically reducing sensitivity to LASER

3) Just doesn't work as a LASER detector for some reason

If you want to ignore Mike, and assume it's all sales BS - why even buy his detector at all?

How about listening to an ex-speed cop - here's why you should always give yourself a fighting chance

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...r/mistakes.asp

And although you for some reason want to discount my experience with LASER detection.

It saved me a ticket, a fine, and traffic school.

What else could I want from running a LASER detector?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

You are of course discounting the chance of picking up LASER scatter from the cops hitting vehicles in front of you on the road, giving you time to slow down.

Now if your V1 doesn't trigger - this may be because

1) It is mounted too high to 'see' the LASER

2) Is mounted to look through the tint at the top of your windshield, thus drastically reducing sensitivity to LASER

3) Just doesn't work as a LASER detector for some reason

If you want to ignore Mike, and assume it's all sales BS - why even buy his detector at all?

How about listening to an ex-speed cop - here's why you should always give yourself a fighting chance

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...r/mistakes.asp

And although you for some reason want to discount my experience with LASER detection.

It saved me a ticket, a fine, and traffic school.

What else could I want from running a LASER detector?

man o' man, i would've thought the socal sun would've cheered up your no-nonsense brit sensibility just a little bit (sorry, bad joke). i understand there's no such thing as laser scatter unless perhaps the cop is shooting his laser gun all over the place, but i'm admittedly no expert. in the end, all i'm suggesting is that it's a false security believing that a laser detector will protect you in 98% of the circumstances where one is likely to encounter laser-- cruising at 90mph and cresting a hill or coming around a turn and seeing the cop on the shoulder with the gun pointing right at you with your E-like symbol and "J" flasihing like crazy.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

man o' man, i would've thought the socal sun would've cheered up your no-nonsense brit sensibility just a little bit (sorry, bad joke). i understand there's no such thing as laser scatter unless perhaps the cop is shooting his laser gun all over the place, but i'm admittedly no expert. in the end, all i'm suggesting is that it's a false security believing that a laser detector will protect you in 98% of the circumstances where one is likely to encounter laser-- cruising at 90mph and cresting a hill or coming around a turn and seeing the cop on the shoulder with the gun pointing right at you with your E-like symbol and "J" flasihing like crazy.
If it saves me from one ticket - it's worth having IMHO.

If you mount it in a sub-optimal location, you increase your chances of missing the trigger, and increase your chances of getting that ticket.

As for scatter - If the officer is not steady while targeting vehicles, scatter laser signals can result, giving a possible signal to detect.

They are only human - it's not a 'done deal' as you seem to want to portray.

I never said having working LASER detection would provide 98% protection.

I'm simply saying, that after spending the $$$ on a detector, just take the time to read-up on where to mount it to make the best use of your investment, and give yourself the best chance of avoiding a ticket.

It's common sense.

If you just don't like how it looks mounted low on the windshield, then say it.

Don't try to justify mounting high with pointless scenarios.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

I'm simply saying, that after spending the $$$ on a detector, just take the time to read-up on where to mount it to make the best use of your investment, and give yourself the best chance of avoiding a ticket.
geez, did i miss the facist idealogue meeting today? just adding a little context to the conversation. not pretext. i don't disagree with you on the above. i did read my valentine manual and did indy research on the subject, and after i made what i thought was an informed decision, wasn't so concerned with the benefits of laser protection. i believe some call this an opinion. you added what appears to be yours. and, hey look, it's a discussion board! what a novel concept.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to mount it high because it looks pretty...sometimes I don't even turn it on and just stare at it.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

geez, did i miss the facist idealogue meeting today?
I noticed you did try to bring my race into the discussion earlier - does that count?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

I noticed you did try to bring my race into the discussion earlier - does that count?
heh? perhaps nationality, but not race. unless you mean the anglo-saxon, imperialistic, god-save-the queen, princess diana-who?, perhaps-Thatcher-was-right, race, then, sure, i guess so.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by mc_renn
I like to mount it high because it looks pretty...sometimes I don't even turn it on and just stare at it.
hehe. ah, someone sensible to put this discussion into perspective.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

heh? perhaps nationality, but not race. unless you mean the anglo-saxon, imperialistic, god-save-the queen, princess diana-who?, perhaps-Thatcher-was-right, race, then, sure, i guess so.

Quick Reply: V1 Install Question