996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

drove my first pcar today - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
s14roller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a g35c right before my 996 and I can tell you my 996 pulls much harder. Then again I have a 02 with the 3.6 so I don't know if that makes a diff.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As others have said, naturally aspirated Porsche 911s are not a benchmark for 0-60 times (exceptions GT3s, 997S). There are many newer cars that will keep up or beat in a straight line. However, G35 and similar comparisons are completely apples to oranges... the 911 is a SPORTSCAR. THe G35 is faster than a Ferrari Dino also...but the two are very different cars. I dont think that you will find many people choosing a G35 over a Dino as a sportscar
Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I'm 6'2 also and my legs were cramped for the first few months. Sometimes it was hard to know if I depressed the clutch pedal completly unless I put my foot on the dead pedal when I'm finished shifting. Years later I'm still searching for the perfect position.

2) I have a high pitched sound but we could be talking about the same thing.

3) The G35 is significantly slower than the 996, I used to beat up on them all the time. My buddy has a G35 and before he turbo'd it it felt like a sled.

4) The sunroof thing is normal especially for a coup. You can always get a sunroof visor.

5)How long did you let it run without the AC on?

6)What's the price?

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Found a nice '99 996 locally, ridiculously cheap...suspiciously so. Went to drive it. They have records in the book of it being serviced locally so that's good, but no details. 7 services in 69k km.

Few notes/questions about it that may just be Porsche things.

1) The pedals are SO close together, it was cramping my legs. I'm 6'2" and just couldn't get comfortable...the steering wheel didn't appear to tilt so my knees were rammed against it from underneath and if i moved the seat back so they didnt I couldn't reach the streering wheel nicely. My G35 pedals are a good 5" wider in their placement. Basically my left leg had to merge right to hit the clutch properly. Very uncomfortable.

2) When I fired it up it whistled this VERY loud annoying low pitch whistle all throughout the cabin. It seemed to disappear at some point as at the end of the drive it was gone when I parked. It was astonishingly annoying and I don't recall hearing that in other 996s that I've been in that were fired up cold.

3) Acceleration was nice but only subtly faster than my G35, I was surprised it wasn't faster....felt like it should have been. Problem is I don't know what a nicely running Porsche feels like to drive so this one could be wacked and I'd have no idea.

4) When I opened the sunroof between 20-70km/h I got a god awful air pressure flutter. What horrible design. Had to crack a window to get rid of it. Seems like something a car in this range just shouldn't suffer from.

5) I noticed at the end of the drive I had the AC on the whole time. When I turned it off when idling the car idled with a nasty shudder...very rough idle. Smoothed out once I turned AC back on. I'm assuming it was AC...little snowflake button.

6) If I decide to have it inspected and it passes should I worry about the abnormally low price given it has local dealer stamps in the customer book for 7 services over 69.000km? Doesn't seem to have any body damage other than a few tiny paint dents and a few dime size paint problems where bird crap obviously sat on it and ate it.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am thinking the noise is causing the loss of power in the 996 giving a false feeling of how powerful the car is compared to the G35 but I dont know about the new G35, sounds wicked quick.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

For times/speeds I'm strictly talking about the NEW G35S that has been out for a few months (2007) which is a completely different animal than any previous one. But anyways, that's a side topic.

So some people say the whistling is a bad thing, some people say it's fine. I'm confused It WAS astonishingly loud...and I'm guessing any PPI would get it right away.

Giving you prices without an explanation wouldn't help as it's a Canadian market and it's significantly different than the american market. Basically most equivalents to this car seem to run about $49.9k canadian + 13% tax so around CA$56k. A car that's US$32k will cost me about CA$47k all said and done to bring up but has the PITA of buying a car at a distance, and american cars are harder to resell. This car that's relatively local (Canadian) is priced cheap. It's the first car I've found locally that competes with american cars for price.

One problem I'm encountering other than the whistling/servicing history weirdness is that this car is fully loaded (onboard computer, traction control, heated seats, etc etc...so the SO likes it) but has nothing outside. Dead stock (i dont like any of the stock rims for example). The car I'm talking to someone about in the states has PSE, partial aero, and other goodies for speed/looks, but sounds like it's relatively barren inside (SO isn't so into it). Part of the reason she's heavily attracted to the new G35s...VERY nice inside.

Ah decisions
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
As others have said, naturally aspirated Porsche 911s are not a benchmark for 0-60 times (exceptions GT3s, 997S). There are many newer cars that will keep up or beat in a straight line. However, G35 and similar comparisons are completely apples to oranges... the 911 is a SPORTSCAR. THe G35 is faster than a Ferrari Dino also...but the two are very different cars. I dont think that you will find many people choosing a G35 over a Dino as a sportscar

Jonathan, I agree with you completely. Some of these comparisons are just plain silly, intended merely to provoke conversation and, in some cases, arguments/disagreements.

Oh, and another thing....we Porsche owners are so proud/passionate about our cars that no other marque fares well in these discussions....after all, it's a Porsche forum!! In truth, we know the shortcomings of our cars, but when someone comes into OUR house and picks on OUR cars, we stand together in defense our beloved Porsches. Amen.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

How much weight did the G35's with the Rev Up motor gain?

About pricing, you could have just told me. Normal CAD prices vs the one you're looking at and it's CAD price.

In regard to your SO, mine wanted a 325 xi but wanted all the bells and whistles(interior and exterior). She ended up with the 2007 g35x because it was about 3k cheaper equally equipped. She now regrets not getting the 2006 325xi and I have to hear this sh*t at least once a month.

For times/speeds I'm strictly talking about the NEW G35S that has been out for a few months (2007) which is a completely different animal than any previous one. But anyways, that's a side topic.

So some people say the whistling is a bad thing, some people say it's fine. I'm confused It WAS astonishingly loud...and I'm guessing any PPI would get it right away.

Giving you prices without an explanation wouldn't help as it's a Canadian market and it's significantly different than the american market. Basically most equivalents to this car seem to run about $49.9k canadian + 13% tax so around CA$56k. A car that's US$32k will cost me about CA$47k all said and done to bring up but has the PITA of buying a car at a distance, and american cars are harder to resell. This car that's relatively local (Canadian) is priced cheap. It's the first car I've found locally that competes with american cars for price.

One problem I'm encountering other than the whistling/servicing history weirdness is that this car is fully loaded (onboard computer, traction control, heated seats, etc etc...so the SO likes it) but has nothing outside. Dead stock (i dont like any of the stock rims for example). The car I'm talking to someone about in the states has PSE, partial aero, and other goodies for speed/looks, but sounds like it's relatively barren inside (SO isn't so into it). Part of the reason she's heavily attracted to the new G35s...VERY nice inside.

Ah decisions
Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

This isn't a discussion aboutg G35s But to answer washingtons question: Infinity says 48# difference in the new car

Car and Driver liked it.

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 2.0
40 mph 2.8
50 mph 4.0
60 mph 5.2
70 mph 6.9
80 mph 8.6
90 mph 10.5
100 mph 13.1
110 mph 15.8
120 mph 19.0
130 mph 23.8
140 mph 30.2
150 mph 38.2

I'm well aware a 911 is a better "sports" car, that's why I'm actively pursuing buying one I didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities by suggesting that the G35 is almost as fast (which is is ).

Just need to find me the right car that has a good history...and convince the SO she wants a 911
Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

48lbs isn't bad..

Just hope if you convince her to get the Porsche that nothing ever goes wrong with it.

This isn't a discussion aboutg G35s But to answer washingtons question: Infinity says 48# difference in the new car

Car and Driver liked it.

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 2.0
40 mph 2.8
50 mph 4.0
60 mph 5.2
70 mph 6.9
80 mph 8.6
90 mph 10.5
100 mph 13.1
110 mph 15.8
120 mph 19.0
130 mph 23.8
140 mph 30.2
150 mph 38.2

I'm well aware a 911 is a better "sports" car, that's why I'm actively pursuing buying one I didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities by suggesting that the G35 is almost as fast (which is is ).

Just need to find me the right car that has a good history...and convince the SO she wants a 911
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
M3killa
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.4 911's have been recorded at 4.5 and 4.6 by multiple magazines during testing. Maybe the car you are sampling is a dud and it's priced as a dud. One thing I've noticed in my car is weight plays a major role in acceleration. Pull weight out and you can fell the difference. The car should run better without the AC load.......

Quick Reply: drove my first pcar today - few questions