Sponsored by:

Buying from out of town dealer with only pictures and PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
lfe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from out of town dealer with only pictures and PPI

Still looking at the '02 tripple black cab. From the pictures the car is in incredible shape for 41k miles. Going to have a PPI done buy local Porsche dealer (not the selling dealer). Flights suck the big one to get to see the car.
Am I off my rocker at the idea of buying withought going out and kicking the tires ?? anyone here ever done that ???
Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I got a PPI from a dealer, looked at lots of pictures, and did a lot of internet searches on the selling car dealer (not a Porsche dealer). Worked well for me.

You can also ask here if there is someone in the area willing to go look at the car for a bit more comfort.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
lfe
Instructor

THX The car is at Ohio Lamborghini, if there is anyone in the area who could take a quick look, I would certainly appreciate it.
Last night the sales guy offered to give me the car if I bought a new Lambo. hahahaha
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I didn't do it completely blind, I had a friend of mine, who lives in Columbus but worked in Cinncinatti , look at mine before he came home from work in Cinnci. A few days later I flew out then drove it home.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

I had someone from one of these forums check out a car for me. Didn't help. He missed a lot of issues that were pretty obvious.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience of looking at cars on the internet, pictures cannot (and should not) be relied upon as an accurate depiction of a car's condition. Lighting, low resolution, distance from the subject, etc. can all conspire to hide flaws that you would see "in person." For example, hail damage and curb rash on the wheels are not always obvious in a photo, unless the seller specifically disclosed the condition and took pictures that would show the damage. Scratches, blemishes, nicks, and other kinds of "imperfections" that might drive the fastidious Porsche owner crazy are not often seen in the pictures displayed in car ads.

Your decision to have someone look at the car for you is a very necessary safeguard, even though there are buyers who have bought nice cars online without the benefit of a PPI or a personal inspection.

Good luck, and be careful!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought my car this way from a fellow Rennlist member. It was nearly 2500 miles from me and the buyer was a straight up guy providing proper description of the car and it's condition as well as more pictures that I could ever have asked for.

However it still didn't make the decision completely worry free. PPI returned from the dealer with a clean bill of health and I confirmed the findings once the car was in my posessions.

Overall my experience turned out great because of the poeple involved. Buyin from a dealer you may not get the same level of disclosure.

That said...I live 25 minutes from there but my schedule is hell right now. Shoot me a PM and we'll discuss my ability to look over the car for you.

Andy
Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Bought mine from a Porsche dealer, with original warranty left and CPO. Had a fellow rennlister (who works for a Porsche tuning shop) check the car out. Worked out great for me (other than a dead battery 9 months later).
Old 03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yeah, my buddy's perception of perfect paint was not the same as mine.

Originally Posted by PorschePRH
I had someone from one of these forums check out a car for me. Didn't help. He missed a lot of issues that were pretty obvious.

Quick Reply: Buying from out of town dealer with only pictures and PPI