Sponsored by:

Jealous people... Gr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lude
I doubt it. At home it's in a garage, if and when I bring it to the office, it's parked behind the building in a private alley. People have to go out of their way to do this sort of thing.
That would make it even more likely that someone is targeting you (via your car). Any scorned women come to mind?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the effect I'm seeing is nicely summed up by the title of the thread. Jealous people.

They spent their dough (on their stuff) and now they don't have a 911.

Bill
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These people are called haters, and they live in every state. It hasnt happened to me yet but any time I park in General Population and not valet, Im worried someone will intentially nail my car with the caravan. Im a younger guy and have been fortunately successful and others who chose not to go to school or become self employed want to take it out on you or your property.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:54 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel that way with my too. Somebody is always out there to cause damage. Even if not intentionally, they just don't care. (from another thread, I wouldn't park my Caravan in downtown DC, either)

Bill
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

no offense to anyone, but this thread is a bit ridiculous. i don't think people think as much of our cars as we think they do, and certainly don't hate us solely b/c they think we're rich. plenty of other comparable/more expensive cars and plenty of rich people out there. unfortunately, 911 owners are seen as image-hungry, small-*****, money-grubbing aholes. even compared to bm's, mb's, etc. but again, in major metro areas where wealth is everywhere, someone's really gotta have a chip on his shoulder to spend the time to vandalize out of mere spite.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by wrljet
I get this from people at work, who are all paid give-or-take the same as me.

They choose to spend their dough differently (perhaps more normally) than I do, and I have very low expenses. So, yes, I am richer. My lifestyle is by design on my part, and their's is their choice.
Originally Posted by pchak
I agree w/wrljet . Buying the best higher mileage example available lets me keep up w/my pastime, without breaking the bank. I find this amusing, when I go to one of our plants, and get some ribbing. Of course, it's easy to come back at 'em when I'm parking next to their $45K Silverado 4x4 crew cab! +

Most everyone that I know in PCA is not wealthy- then again, just because you're active in PCA doesn't make you a statistical representation of the p-car ownership (all those folks who drive their "bling" "poorsh" and never wave, never flash their headlights, etc. don't join, unless the dealer buys them their membership).
I am not trying to convince you guys that you are wealthy, and I fully agree that we each have to choose the lifestyle we want to live. I was just trying to point out that even if most of us do not consider ourselves to be "rich", a lot of other people do.

Consider a few facts from IRS data from 2005 (all figures are for individuals, as opposed to households)...

Top 1% earn $295,495+
Top 5% earn $130,080+
Top 10% earn $94,891
Top 25% earn $57,343
Median income is $25,000

Actually looking at these numbers again, I probably should have said most of us are likely in or near the top 10%, not top 5%. The main point I was trying to make is that a married couple each making the median salary is pulling in $50K per year. They are "normal". By comparison most of us are NOT "normal". And it is not that they simply choose not to buy a Porsche, because they couldn't afford the high mileage early 996 or the $45K SUV either.

This really hit me last year. I had recalled having a similiar discussion about "what is rich?", where I took the position that I was "normal" or maybe a little "above average", but not "rich". I then went on vacation with my son down to central Florida and we toured the areas where I grew up. Now I know there are some NICE areas in central Florida, but the places I grew up are not counted among them (Oviedo - before it exploded, and Geneva for those familiar with the area). This stroll down memory lane really showed me how far I had come. I started to realize that the only reason I felt "normal" was that I live in an affluent area, I work with other affluent people, and have many affluent friends. So in my little bubble I am normal. However, outside my bubble I am... well... "rich".

It was after this experience that I really started to become more aware of this differing perception and started to better understand why some people interact with me the way they do, and that is the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by pchak
I find this amusing, when I go to one of our plants, and get some ribbing. Of course, it's easy to come back at 'em when I'm parking next to their $45K Silverado 4x4 crew cab! +
BTW, this also reminded me of an encounter I had in 2001, shortly after having paid $23K for my '91 C2. While at the gas station a guy pulls in next to me, and as he gets out of his brand new looking Lincoln Navigator he shouts "Dude, are you Bill Gate's son?". In reply I pointed out that for the price of his SUV he could have bought 2 of my 911!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
i don't think people think as much of our cars as we think they do, and certainly don't hate us solely b/c they think we're rich.
So hopefully this is my last reply in this thread... this was enough post count padding for today.

Nine9Sixer, I generally think you are correct. People don't act with hatred just because of our cars, or how much money they might perceive that we make. However, I do think that they judge our actions more harshly. For example, if a guy is day dreaming after a light has turned green and I give him a quick toot of the horn to wake him up, he will react differently if I am in the Porsche, as opposed to the grocery getter. While he still might show me the finger (because he feels embarrassed) while in the grocery getter, he might just take it out on my car when I am in the Porsche.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And it is perception on other peoples parts that "we" are rich or whatever. To them their perception is reality. They chose their path in life and I chose mine.

I've had many P-cars in my life and while I don't think people consciously "target" our cars they certainly are less careful subconsciously around them. I've seen it in action a few times. In order to avoid problems I try to blend in as much as possible. The more attention you draw the more jealousy you will encounter.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I've taken the position with my car that I won't pretend it's "special" in parking lots and such. I don't park it all by itself way away from other cars, like you see some people do with their "special" cars. I park right between and next to other cars and just act like it's like everyone else - red porsche or not - it's my daily driver just like most other people's cars in the parking lot. I don't know if this in any way helps, but maybe someone won't target my car because they can see I'm not trying to look for special attention or anything.

I've been lucky so far- except someone let the air out of my right front once.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm sure there is a lot of under reported income in your statistics.. LOL!

Originally Posted by rroobbcc
I am not trying to convince you guys that you are wealthy, and I fully agree that we each have to choose the lifestyle we want to live. I was just trying to point out that even if most of us do not consider ourselves to be "rich", a lot of other people do.

Consider a few facts from IRS data from 2005 (all figures are for individuals, as opposed to households)...

Top 1% earn $295,495+
Top 5% earn $130,080+
Top 10% earn $94,891
Top 25% earn $57,343
Median income is $25,000

Actually looking at these numbers again, I probably should have said most of us are likely in or near the top 10%, not top 5%. The main point I was trying to make is that a married couple each making the median salary is pulling in $50K per year. They are "normal". By comparison most of us are NOT "normal". And it is not that they simply choose not to buy a Porsche, because they couldn't afford the high mileage early 996 or the $45K SUV either.

This really hit me last year. I had recalled having a similiar discussion about "what is rich?", where I took the position that I was "normal" or maybe a little "above average", but not "rich". I then went on vacation with my son down to central Florida and we toured the areas where I grew up. Now I know there are some NICE areas in central Florida, but the places I grew up are not counted among them (Oviedo - before it exploded, and Geneva for those familiar with the area). This stroll down memory lane really showed me how far I had come. I started to realize that the only reason I felt "normal" was that I live in an affluent area, I work with other affluent people, and have many affluent friends. So in my little bubble I am normal. However, outside my bubble I am... well... "rich".

It was after this experience that I really started to become more aware of this differing perception and started to better understand why some people interact with me the way they do, and that is the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
ErnestTX
Intermediate

Well, I try to park mine conservatively. Not at the end of the parking lot, but not next to the mini van crowding the stripe with the "my child was fathered by the Devil" sticker on the back glass either. Of course, never valet. Never.

But, as far as people thinking "rich" from seeing the car, I am convinced that chicks don't even notice the car. OK, some small portion of gear head, track junkings, and the like do, but not the general population. Its a Dude magnet though. My advice to single women in their 30's, buy a 996. Worst case you will have fun driving the car. Best case, you will have fun and meet a ton of guys.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ErnestTX
But, as far as people thinking "rich" from seeing the car, I am convinced that chicks don't even notice the car. OK, some small portion of gear head, track junkings, and the like do, but not the general population. Its a Dude magnet though. My advice to single women in their 30's, buy a 996. Worst case you will have fun driving the car. Best case, you will have fun and meet a ton of guys.

I don't know about that - I've had several girls tell me that my car is "pretty". It's surprising, but that seems to be the number 1 adjective from girls. Guys look at my car, too, but I don't care about them.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

New Jersey, huh? Have you had the cops question Andrew "Dice" Clay on his whereabouts on the day of the vandalism?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
pchak
Pro

Originally Posted by rroobbcc

Top 1% earn $295,495+
Top 5% earn $130,080+
Top 10% earn $94,891
Top 25% earn $57,343
Median income is $25,000

Rob, in that context, what you're saying makes sense. I grew up very poor, and am very proud of how far I came. I just never gave much thought to just kissing 6 figures would put you in the top 10%.

My mom's relatives I'm amazed how some folks live when I go visit. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: Jealous people... Gr.