Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with the s4 avant, nice v8 and audi's are awsome
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
sm --

You've got some good thoughts here already. You can find nice E39 wagons (3 series may be too small for your needs, but a great ride) in this price range. Also, you might want to check out the Subie Forrester XT (turbo). Someone mentioned the Legacy; the Forrester, if you can get past the looks, has the WRX engine, AWD, decent handling and a deceptively large cargo area. And, you can get the oversized moonroof.

When we lived in Boston, we were Saab loyalists. I like the 9-5 wagon, but really wish that they would bring back the five door sedan. Other than the Mazda5, the Panamera is the only car on the horizon that offers car handling and wagon utility. I really wish all the manufacturers would ditch this crossover garbage and give us the five door saloon that Europe has enjoyed for many years. Then, again, there are probably not enough of us to reward their decision.

And, for the record, I'm with Paul...I would ABSOLUTELY buy the new M5 wagon if BMW allowed us Yanks a crack at it.

-- M
M -

Did the Saab not having AWD ever become a problem for you in New England?

I hear you about the Subies, but if the wife doesn't like it, I can't buy it.
Besides, I think the Audis are more structurally solid.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by sm
M -

Did the Saab not having AWD ever become a problem for you in New England?

I hear you about the Subies, but if the wife doesn't like it, I can't buy it.
Besides, I think the Audis are more structurally solid.
sm --

Nope. With the FWD and good snows (Blizzaks is what I used on both the 9000 and my 900 SPG), they were a blast to drive in the snow. Now...that view is based on pre-GM information from 10 yrs ago. You might pose the same question on saabnet.com. On the Subie, if you like it, you might stress the safety and reliability to your bride. The Audi Allroad with the 2.7 turbo is a sweet ride, but I have two friends that had miserable reliability experiences with them. If you can deal with the smaller space, in my view the BMW 3 series wagon is the sharpest looking and handling of all of the ones mentioned above. And, just for kicks, you should have a look at the Mazda5 series...solid car with a bunch of variations that might work for you -- wagon, 5 door and mini-van.

Best of luck with your search.

-- M
Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yeah, you can get a nice 5 series wagon for <20K - I'd end the search right there.

Saab's are too weird - they don't even put the ignition switch in the right place!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Saab's are too weird - they don't even put the ignition switch in the right place!
That's a funny statement Nutbeem! Especially as it comes from a Porsche owner. Where is the right place for the ignition switch?

Quick Reply: OT: 2004 Wagons: Saab 9-5 Wagon, Audi A6 Avant, Audi Allroad, VW Passat 4motion