Sponsored by:

Buying GT3 Euro seats...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Unless of course they were in an accident that tested the strength and structural rigidity, then you might see that they are copies.
Dont be so sure that copys always has to be bad because they are not recaro, you pay pretty much for the brand in real ones and dont be suprised when you get the info where they are build.

Anyways Im not here to discuss "you get what you pay for" as this meaning has become more of a myth. Over the last 2 years I ordered lots of stuff from asia and comparing with the stuff made in europe in some cases the quality was lot better in asia.

Anyways just enjoy my picture and I will drop a picture when I get the seats in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBY
you pay pretty much for the brand in real ones
I've never posted a soap box message before, but here goes...........

You're also paying for the extensive R&D and safety engineering that goes into the products. For the record, I wouldn't knowingly buy knock-offs or any other type of stolen merchandise, but that's not what this thread is about. If I were to buy counterfeit merchandise, I wouldn't be concerned about the ramifications of knock-off golf clubs, DVD's, watches, etc. because the consequences of product failure are fairly benign. An item that can make the difference between living or dying?? That's a totally different story. The personal benefit of saving a few hundred bucks doesn't justify the personal risk IMHO.

One of my buddies from college manages a sales team for a medical device company. His product protfolio includes pace makers, stints, and other items that are used in heart surgery. Through his years of experience, interactions with heart surgeons, and observations during heart surgeries, he's developed a fairly impressive understanding of heart surgery and can "talk the lingo".

If he were to present himself as a heart surgeon, most people (including heart surgeons) would believe him. For the most common and routine heart conditions, he could properly diagnose the issue and identify the proper medications and procedures. However, if I needed heart surgery and my buddy was willing to do it for me at a reduce fee to save me a few bucks, I wouldn't use him.

Over the last 2 years I ordered lots of stuff from asia and comparing with the stuff made in europe in some cases the quality was lot better in asia.
My point is.... Just because I can't tell the difference (between my buddy and a real heart surgeon who spent years studying medicine) doesn't mean there is no difference. Some money is just not worth saving.

Hopefully, your car will never be involved in an accident and this "discussion" never becomes more than an exchange of opinions (vs. an "I told you so").

Last edited by LiveNupe; 03-12-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
NOBY
Pro

Okey I have not told anyone to buy this cheap knockoffs from ebay,asia so relax and ignore my posts.

I will think twice from now on before I post something here.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Okey I have not told anyone to buy this cheap knockoffs from ebay,asia so relax and ignore my posts.

I will think twice from now on before I post something here.
Oh dear God, here comes the martyr act.

Nobody said DON'T buy them they just informed you that in a situation where it comes into play questioning the integrity of the seat, my money is on the REAL ones. Don't think for a second that with the REAL seats that you are "just" paying for the name. That is a really ignorant stance to take.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Dell,

Leave it. We don't know what NOBY uses his car for and it could be that it is only used as a rolling hairdryer.

Ciao,

J.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Dell,

Leave it. We don't know what NOBY uses his car for and it could be that it is only used as a rolling hairdryer.

Ciao,

J.

Good one J Time to run from this debate
Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
NOBY
Pro

Wieee you two are so cool...

Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wieee you two are so cool...

So the fellas are having a little fun at your expense..... Don't let that get at you.

I obviously have strong feelings on the safety aspect of knock-off seats. It wasn't my intent to discourage you from posting on this board. However, I felt obligated to let you know how strongly I feel about the topic and more importantly WHY I feel the way that I do. If I didn't attempt to change your opinion and you had an incident later, I would feel extremely guilty and wonder if the outcome would have been different if I didn't "bite my tongue". That being said, at the end of the day, it's your decision. Like Dell said, I just want you to make an informed the decision. Everybody's risk/reward equation is different. I just want you to understand the risks (at least from my perspectiv).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
M3killa
Banned

EBAY SUCKS!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
M3killa
Banned

AND SO DO THE VENDORS THAT POP OUT OF NOWHERE SELLING INFERIOR COPIES OF LEGIT ITEMS.

FOR EXAMPLE, HIGHLINE WHEELS OR I think their new name is modular. CRAP wheels, crap seats, crap stickers, crapbay crap peddlars, crap, crap........ he he he.,
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3killa
EBAY SUCKS!
Correction, a lot of the cr*p on Ebay sucks.

I have done very well with Ebay and my car:
1. Porsche Techequipe stainless roller bar with cross braces - $500
2. Aluminum design **** and boot - $50
3. Fabspeed mufflers - $500
4. Extra set of floor mats to mees up on bad weather days - $20

I have also sold much of the "junk" laying around the house and made a good amount on in. I swapped the steering wheel in my 911 S/C to a Momo Monte Carlo with the hub adapter and Porsche Crest horn emblem for $150 off Ebay. I followed by selling my recovered ($30 leather kit) stock S/C steering wheel for almost $200 on Ebay. Ebay far from sucks.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 03-15-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I scored my set used but in mint condition on Ebay $1800. But that was just a lucky coincidence That saved dollars, either way I would not have a problem paying retail for these seats. They are in my opinion safety equipment. I can't believe the Chinese made crap Momo and Sparco sells, maybe safe for the track (as long as there are no barriers and plenty of runnoff) but no way are they worth whatever they cost if used on public roads, you are safer in the stock seats.
which reminds me I have to tighten the seats down, anybody know the correct torque?

Quick Reply: Buying GT3 Euro seats...