Sponsored by:

Front Strut Bolt Broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 AM
keithberry
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Strut Bolt Broken

I just got my 99 C2 Cab back from it's 60,000 mile service.

One of the dealers notes is that they "noted front strut bolt broken, recommend repl both struts". Is this a big deal, the dealership didn't seem too bothered about it.

Should I fix it immediately?

If so, should I upgrade the suspension to ROW030 or PSS9's whilst I'm at it?

Anyone got recommendations of where to have this work done in the San Francisco East Bay (Walnut Creek) area.

Many thanks

Keith
Old 03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont knoe what bolt your talking about id need a picture
Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Which bolt is broken? Is it one of the 3 on top of the strut that holds it to the upper part of the wheel well?

If so, don't fall for the "gotta replace both struts" con. If it is indeed the top bolts, what probably happened is that the last time the car was aligned, the tech over torqued the nut and sheared off the threaded stud (and did not want to tell anyone that he screwed up). The part that needs to be replaced is called a "supporting mount" (see item #3 below). The only issue is that the strut needs to be removed from the car, then have the strut disassembled to replace the part. The part costs about $70, and an hour of labor to replace it, or your can DIY. Be sure to mark where the studs stick out of the holes in the inner fender, so you can keep your alignment. The bottom of the strut drops into the wheel carrier and is held in place by compression with a large bolt that would more likely vibrate out rather than shear off. I doubt it is that one.

It is not life threatening, but still something you should get fixed. But don't fall for the "gotta replace everything" con.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Which bolt is broken? Is it one of the 3 on top of the strut that holds it to the upper part of the wheel well?

If so, don't fall for the "gotta replace both struts" con. If it is indeed the top bolts, what probably happened is that the last time the car was aligned, the tech over torqued the nut and sheared off the threaded stud (and did not want to tell anyone that he screwed up). The part that needs to be replaced is called a "supporting mount" (see item #3 below). The only issue is that the strut needs to be removed from the car, then have the strut disassembled to replace the part. The part costs about $70, and an hour of labor to replace it, or your can DIY. Be sure to mark where the studs stick out of the holes in the inner fender, so you can keep your alignment. The bottom of the strut drops into the wheel carrier and is held in place by compression with a large bolt that would more likely vibrate out rather than shear off. I doubt it is that one.

It is not life threatening, but still something you should get fixed. But don't fall for the "gotta replace everything" con.
OE - good alternate solution! Good job! .
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

personaly if an aluminum suspesion car takes a hit that is hard enough to bend the steel strut mount, i would want to replace every thing that keeps me attached to the ground when im on the high way
Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
personaly if an aluminum suspesion car takes a hit that is hard enough to bend the steel strut mount, i would want to replace every thing that keeps me attached to the ground when im on the high way
Well, it does not appear that the is the case in this situation. There is nothing bent, it is just a stud that was broken off. The only way that the stud could have been broken is from some numb nuts over-torquing the bolt during an alignment.

Here is what they look like:

Old 03-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You folks are funny.

keithberry with 4 post under his belt in the past year says "noted front strut bolt broken, recommend repl both struts".

And all of you folks have it figured out.

Amazing....

Quick Reply: Front Strut Bolt Broken