996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adjusting seats for TALL people?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting seats for TALL people?

I have a friend who is just about 6' 9". He and I drove about 150 miles of mountain roads today, with him folded into the passenger seat of my coupe. He wasn't comfortable.

Is there an easy way to adjust the seats back and/or down? I know on some other cars he has been able to move the rails or move the seat on the rails to gain some space. Another 2 inches would probably make a tremendous difference for him.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yikes, at 6'6" I'm thinking I'm about as big a you can get in that space. Short of removing the drivers seat and sitting on the back seat, I'm not sure what else you can do.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

You could find a way to bolt the seat directly to the floor. I did that with my Lotus Esprit (don't take him anywhere near one of those).

On my Viper, I bought a new seat rail that lowered it 1" while still allowing adjustability.

And no, you won't notice any different in comfort when the seat is directly bolted to the floor. Trust me, you will get a lot of people theorizing that it will make it harsher.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, at 6'6" I'm thinking I'm about as big a you can get in that space.
I've to agree, I'm also 6'6'' and fit OK in the car. BTW one reason why I initially didn't get a boxster. Second reason are my 2 toddlers; however, the one that sits behind me can usually kiss my backrest without moving the head.

I think that 1 piece sport seats (like GT3 ones) let you gain some space as they seam to have a thinner seat cushion.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hwk72

I think that 1 piece sport seats (like GT3 ones) let you gain some space as they seam to have a thinner seat cushion.

GT3 seats make a significant difference to legroom and headroom. For yet more headroom you can remove the butt-cushion and replace with a mousemat. Even more room is gained with a pair of BK lowering mounts, which give me (6'4") plenty of room for a helmet. The GT3+BK combination is so comfortable that I've left it in for my 70-mile daily commute. My gf OTOH prefers the regular power seat with buttwarmer, so I've got asymmetric seats

Quick Reply: Adjusting seats for TALL people?