Should I make the switch from 0W40 to 15W50

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Sorry, but that article had nothing to do with the Variocam of the 00 engine as this thread does. Nice try, tho. Secondly, rather than living your life reading and following the opinions of others, why not actually do some testing. Then, whatever your position is, at least you have some data to back it up.

I don't preach opinions of others, just my 35 years of experience.

You did notice he stated that the engine was designed for 5W50 oil, didn't you? Or did you read over that part? And you are aware that a 15W50 oil at operating temperature is no different than a 5W50, don't you? So, please explain why a 15W50 is bad for the engine. is 5W50 is not.

No one needs to follow anyone's opinion on thus forums, but they should have access to all the opinions to help make a judgement for themselves.
Just what I thought you'd come up with, a version of "it works fine in my car". When you discussed you oil story in the past you never advised those with variocam plus not to follow your advice. It is very interesting that you are changing your tune now.

I've never claimed to be any sort of oil expert. But, when the engineers that designed these motors recommend specific oils and those recommendations are reinforced by other independent experts, I think I'll stick with their advice.

However, you imply in your post that you have done some "actual testing" on these motors and have "some data" to back up your position. Please do tell, I'd love to hear about the details of your testing.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been using 10W-40 as 2002 owner's manual specifies.

Syntec has it and in "SL" form.

just $0.02

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 03-21-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Just what I thought you'd come up with, a version of "it works fine in my car". When you discussed you oil story in the past you never advised those with variocam plus not to follow your advice. It is very interesting that you are changing your tune now.

I've never claimed to be any sort of oil expert. But, when the engineers that designed these motors recommend specific oils and those recommendations are reinforced by other independent experts, I think I'll stick with their advice.

However, you imply in your post that you have done some "actual testing" on these motors and have "some data" to back up your position. Please do tell, I'd love to hear about the details of your testing.

Still waiting for your explaination as to why a 5W50 can be used and a 15W50 cannot. Please enlighten us as to what difference there is at operating temperture.

I do NOT imply I have done testing, but I state clearly that I have done testing and plenty of it. Try doing so yourself for 35 years and maybe you can form an opinion on the subject rather that having someone else tell you what your opinion should be.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

1999, you are clueless. Have you read one,single, piece of expert advice or do dismiss everyone who presents facts to you? My bet is you have done absolutely no meaningful testing at all. You have an opinion and not much else.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seconds out - round two!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Running Vortech superchargers for many years, they recommended only 15W-50 Mobil 1 for the transmission of the S/C, 1999Porsche 911 is S/C'd somewhat justifying using the "thicker" oil.

I am not taking sides but 5W-50 and 15W-50 is the same weight oil. The last number is the weight, the first is its comparable flow for winter.

I am a convert from 15W-50 to 0W-40 though, I like how the motors runs but now my stupid car leaks oil everywhere.

Kind of a trade-off
Old 03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Still waiting for your explaination as to why a 5W50 can be used and a 15W50 cannot. Please enlighten us as to what difference there is at operating temperture.

I do NOT imply I have done testing, but I state clearly that I have done testing and plenty of it. Try doing so yourself for 35 years and maybe you can form an opinion on the subject rather that having someone else tell you what your opinion should be.
Nice try to turn this back on me. Let me say again, I am not an oil expert and I don't claim to be. You do claim to be an oil expert. 35 years of experience right??

You said "Secondly, rather than living your life reading and following the opinions of others, why not actually do some testing. Then, whatever your position is, at least you have some data to back it up."

I assume this means that you "have done some actual testing" and "at least have some data to back it up". Please tell me that you have torn down some M96 motors and personally viewed the damage done to them running on the oil that Porsche recommends. Tell me that you are not just advising people go against the recommendations of these engineers on a whim.

After all, if someone posts here recommending a new chip or headers people typically ask to see the dyno. Some brag about new exhausts and people ask to hear a sound file.

You advocate different oil. What evidence do you have to support your position? What sort of testing have you done? They really are simple questions.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
1999, as usual, shows that he lacks even the most basic understanding of oils and viscosity differences. One needs only to look at his posting history. Be careful before you follow any of the advice he gives on oils. When confronted with facts he will deny their worthiness and become defensive and claim no facts have ever been presented to him. Opinions and conjecture are worthless. Documented,real world testing and countless Used Oil Analysis reports, as well as the manufacturers updated recommendations should be enough to give the rational and intelligent owner reason enough to follow the TSB's on Porsches oil recommendations.
I think if you do a little research and look closely, you'll see that 1999 is actually Dick Cheney.

Michael
Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh. The Evil Emperor himself. Yes, I sensed the dark side of the force to be strong with this one.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1999, you seem like good people, but respectfully, you are getting owned in this thread. I don't know about you, but for things above my paygrade, I rely on the advice of others. This includes automotive engineering, aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, etc. Now, yes, I learned a good deal of those subjects in school, but I work with markets and numbers now. Therefore, if Porsche is going to spend millions of dollars to do some work that benefit their cars, I'm going to believe them. Hell, we believed them enough to buy their car in the first place, right?

Moreover, to answer your question of 5W vs 15W, it's startup temp. Regardless of temperature, 5W is always going to be a little less viscous than 15W, even if barely perceptibly so. And that's a big help to cold starts for we Northerners.

Anyway, you're surely entitled to your opinion, you my good man, have NOT provided any data to the contrary whilst bgiere and Ray have posted quite a bit. Moreover, their data sources are quite compelling. Surely you get the drift why people are starting to get a little more doubtful of your claims, eh?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
M3killa
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna party like it's "1999"! Leave him be, your "beef" is with me.................
Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear 15W-50 taste better than 0W-40. That must count for something....

Pic of Alex taken by Kirby at one of our local work on cars days.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Should I make the switch from 0W40 to 15W50