996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

EVO SuperCharger Group buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do it...... just trying to decide if it's worth 33% of my cars value......... hard to swallow....
Old 03-08-2007, 08:28 PM
911Toronto
Track Day

From my perspective, 911's evolve ever so slowly, and 996's are so much better than most cars on the road, that keeping one for an extended while and not bothering with the itch to upgrade to a newer model is a real option.

Hence, I have decided to gradually (and slowly) upgrade and personalise my own car so as to make it unique to me and fabulously faster than most cars much much younger than it. I always felt my 3.4 was a little light on power so this upgrade fits in perfectly.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

well slow as it goes 911toronto........ what year is your pcar?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Kolshak
Racer

If anyone in the DC area has this S/C I'd really appreciate going for a ride before making a decision about this.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

MagnusB, in California there are two parts to getting your car smogged. It is run on a machine similar to a dyno with a sniffer plugged into the tail pipe. The sc would probably pass this part. It also must pass a visual inspection. If you have non-stock parts visible, you must have the California Air Resources Board exemption order. Many aftermarket parts have the CARB exemption order number stamped on the part so it is visible to law enforcement. If it is not on the part, you have to go to the CARB web site and print out each exemption order. You must present them to whoever is doing your SMOG. CHP can also stop you and cite you for any parts on your car that do not have a CARB exemption order. Imagine the joy of having to worry about CHP catching you and every two years you must either find a smog inspection station that will turn a blind eye (very dangerous for them...the fines are HUGE) or you must remove the supercharger to pass smog.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kolshak: TPC would be a local alternative to EVO in the DC area (MD) and I'm sure we would be (1) able to test drive a vehicle and (2) get a rebate for a potential group buy (their regular price is $11K, so $3K above the EVO offer with 11 sold units for the 3.4l engine).
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So I take it the Evoms supercharger does not have any CARB exemption number on it?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Kolshak
Racer

hkw - few questions - Is TPC located in Jessup Md? Wonder how many local guys would constitute a GB? Do you know how TPC stacks up with Evoms and if a TPC SC would pass a MD emissions?
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnus: No the EVOMS SC does not have the CARB exemption. They have been "working on it" for some time, but the process is a long and involved one...and not easy to get thru the DMV red tape. The guys in California who are running the SC's have to either retro them to stock, or have a means to get it thru the visual part of the two-part emissions test. They pass the emissions part just fine; these cars run very clean...but flunk out on the visual. Mfletch described the process very accurately. The real problem comes if you get singled out in one of those periodic roadside smog checks and busted...BIG fine....PLUS...you go into the DMV computer. Sort of like getting put on the IRS audit list....never seems to go away even though they say the checks are "random"......yeah right.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

random...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

so let me get this right.... the evoms sc WILL pass smog? eventhough they can't get it carb legal?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 PM
911Toronto
Track Day

anyone who is interested, we are at 9, please register your interest at six speed, then contact nate at evo. it is gonna be a beautifull summer...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

EVOM passes the emissions part of the test....it meets the air quality emission standards....it does not pass the VISUAL part of the test. The smog stations have a listing of what's supposed to be on the cars and they do a visual inspection looking for extra doo-dads. Some of the techs know what to look for, some don't. That's why I said you might get lucky and get someone who isn't familiar and is satisfied that since the emissions are clean...the car must be OK. When I took my 930 in for a smog check, they spotted the MSD ignition box, and immediately went on alert...but MSD has gone thru the CARB certification and there's a metalic sticker you put on the car that has the exemption number on it....they see that...go to the computer and check to see if the certification is valid...then pass it. Without the CARB exemption...you flunk. End of story.

Yes...EVOMS will pass the emissions...but not the visual...simple as that. They need to push the process to get it CARB certified.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Yes...EVOMS will pass the emissions...but not the visual...simple as that. They need to push the process to get it CARB certified.[/QUOTE]

either that or make it look OEM.......
Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Make a supercharger look OEM? How many factory production supercharged Porsches have you seen? I don't think the DMV guys have seen any OEM ones either. Kind of hard to hide a supercharger in there.

Quick Reply: EVO SuperCharger Group buy