Sponsored by:

:grr: 996 Door Mirror and a Genius :grr:

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 AM
forbes500
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :grr: 996 Door Mirror and a Genius :grr:

Can anyone please tell me how to dismantle or where to find info on dismantling the door mirror in order to replace the aluminum mirror mounting?

The glass itself is fine, but some genius decided it would be hilarious to kick the nearside mirror off my '99 C2 Cab...probably related to us Irish beating the English comprehensively (43-13!) in Rugby last weekend and my car is UK registered...

I have already taken the mirror off the car, I just need to know how to dismantle the housing please...

Thanks a mil,

Rob,
Dublin,
Ireland.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rob,

That sucks. Hopefully this diagram from the PET will help!
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by forbes500
The glass itself is fine, but some genius decided it would be hilarious to kick the nearside mirror off my '99 C2 Cab...probably related to us Irish beating the English comprehensively (43-13!) in Rugby last weekend and my car is UK registered...
I will never understand how people who are really into sports can destroy things over a game.

It is like Porsche losing races and we go out and destroy Ferraris, stupid.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
forbes500
6th Gear

all sorted now thanks, i'll be able to see them behind me from now on :-)
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by forbes500
all sorted now thanks, i'll be able to see them behind me from now on :-)
Forbes500 - did the PET diagram help any?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM
forbes500
6th Gear

Thanks a million - it did. You're a gentleman.

In case anyone else searches for the info here's how to strip the mirror in brief:

1. Remove the black plastic underside cover from the exterior of the mirror. It pops off if you gently prise with your fingers. (You may need to swivel the mirror on its mounting to fully remove this piece).
2. Gently prise the black plastic clips that are on the back of the mirror glass off the motor housing, and the push the mirror up to release the top clips that you can't access. Do all this slowly and gently or you risk cracking the mirror.
3. Disconnect the two wires if the mirror is heated.
4. Remove the three phillips/crosshead screws and the motor housing will come off, then gently prise out the connector block.
5. Remove the three torx srcrews from the back of the housing which will separate it from the mounting. Mine were only finger tight.
6. Inside the car, gently pull the bottom of the plastic trim piece (the one that has the mirror controls in it on the driver's side) away from the window. Only pull this a little (+/-0.5cm) or you risk breaking the top clip. Slide the piece upwards towards the roof of the car to release the top clip.
7. Pull out the electrical connector block.
8. There are three torx head screws holding the mounting to the door. One is behind the door seal hidden underneath a sticker. (Be careful taking this one out as mine dropped into the door itself and I'll need to strip the door to get it out).
Fitting is the reverse of removal. PM me if any of this is unclear or you need help...

Last edited by forbes500; 03-06-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: :grr: 996 Door Mirror and a Genius :grr: