Sponsored by:

Which CHIP for a 2001 996 C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 PM
plastex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CHIP for a 2001 996 C2

I was wondering which chip you guys would recommend for my '01 996. I would like to get the most bang for my buck.

The car is stock now, but will eventually get upgrades to airbox and Exhaust. I would like the chip to work well with these mod's as well.

Thanks,
Oscar
Akron, Ohio
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on what you expect...even with chip, headers, cats, mufflers and intake, you may only see 20 -25HP, if you are lucky...which is almost undetectable on a 300HP car. Total cost for those things, is like 2-3K....if you want more save for a supercharger which is the only way to get a nice increase in 996 cars. If you just wanna do a chip, I have heard good things about GIAC....but again, you may only see a few HP if any gans at all.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM
adybuncio
Advanced

In my experience, the chip just flattened out the hp output throughout the power band, power is smooth so smooth.
I have full exhaust and intake with a GIAC flash.
Like you I have an 01 C2.
But supercharger sounds very tempting, but I think Im gonna use my saved up money for a TT
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

our cars are a little weak down low and i think a supercharger is a great way out of it... but after talking to GMG and Hergesheimer.......everyone tells me that the NA are not really design for the supercharger... it will run, you will love it, but you taking the reliablility our of the car completely....
btw Hergesheimer were great..... thanks for the rec newport... you'lll love them....
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no prob...i think its more gearing, than weakness....our cars are geard for midrange and top end performance, the opposite end of the spectrum BMWs are usually geared for the bottom and mid end...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i think the most you can do is headers, exhaust, cai, plenum, hi flow cats... and then a chip... but like newport stated... you're looking at best 30 hp and that's NOT at the wheel.....
Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 AM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I'm familiar with the GIAC software from other cars and it is very good. The chips are usually tuned to work with an exhaust and intake, you wont realize optimal gains until you have them done too. It adds up quick $$$. However with that said, always keep in mind the % HP you get for your money. It isn't usually a very good ratio on this motor. Forced induction is really the only way to get a good bang for your buck. Spend you money on dirvers ed and become a faster driver instead of needing a faster car.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
plastex
Instructor

This is wife's car, so I am going to have to wait before doing much work to it yet regarding Supercharging.

Oscar
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
our cars are a little weak down low and i think a supercharger is a great way out of it... but after talking to GMG and Hergesheimer.......everyone tells me that the NA are not really design for the supercharger... it will run, you will love it, but you taking the reliablility our of the car completely....
btw Hergesheimer were great..... thanks for the rec newport... you'lll love them....
Porsche Smile: I have spoken to many installers and thay have stated that if the supercharger,like the ones from EVO, is installed correctly that reliability should not be a factor. The EVO supercharger is designed to keep the compression ratio of the engine the same and that is an important factor. Also RUF sells a supercharger kit for the NA 996 and have had great results, however, they do recommend to replace high mileage engines prior to installing one of their supercharger, but the cost associated with that does not make much sense to me. At that point I'd rather buy a TT.

Can you provide me with some more information about GMG and Hergesheimer I would appreciate it. Would like to know what they say.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
kclipse
Intermediate

Change the gearing of the car and you should get more acceleration for the price of top speed + cash. But I think it's the best way to go, since you're not putting extra stress on the engine. Also, the EVO supercharger probably doesn't do much for the low end.

Let's get more info on changing the gear set!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard many good things about the GIAC software. Indeed, a number of authorized dealers even suggested installing them (after warranty expiration of course). When my CPO is up, it's surely something that I'll consider.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership said it doesn't affect my warranty.

Originally Posted by nycebo
I have heard many good things about the GIAC software. Indeed, a number of authorized dealers even suggested installing them (after warranty expiration of course). When my CPO is up, it's surely something that I'll consider.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wash DC, if that were the case, and I'll have to check in on it, then I might be persuaded to do it for summer.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
M3killa
Banned

Chocolate is your best choice. I run chocolate in mine and it's the fastest.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kclipse
Change the gearing of the car and you should get more acceleration for the price of top speed + cash. But I think it's the best way to go, since you're not putting extra stress on the engine. Also, the EVO supercharger probably doesn't do much for the low end.

Let's get more info on changing the gear set!
Definitely a gearing upgrade will make the most difference... how come they don't make one... shortening the gears so your top speed is 160 mph would give you about equiv 350HP on a 3.4 motor....

now better yet if you can replace cogs 1-5 and leave 6 stock for cruising!... I'm surprised nobody has created a kit for our cars that works like this...

Quick Reply: Which CHIP for a 2001 996 C2