Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can I get the alarm to "chirp" when I lock the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
every day
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the horn to beep when you lock the car you can do this (I copied this from someone else's post). I did it and it works great!

The advice from my Porsche Tech mate was to modify the microswitch for the centre console storage thingy so the car sees it as being open, when it's not.

To do this you have to either bend the thin metal actuating arm out of the way, or cut it off completely - what I did.
If you unplug it, the car is smart enough to think it's a broken sensor and ignore it...giving no bleep/honk.

By leaving the switch plugged into the loom, the car thinks the switch is there and working OK, but the lid of the storage bin is open. Even when it isn't.

This works on my car...and gives a honk from the horn about 4 seconds after remotely locking with the key.

You have to remove the console - or part remove it - to access the switch...handy as I was changing the centre console for a colour coded one at the same time.

According to the Porsche Tech, this method has no adverse effects on the alarm operation, other than not letting you know if something else is not closed properly.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ... an exotic sports car that can't even chirp ... bah!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
jerler
Instructor

Originally Posted by every day
According to the Porsche Tech, this method has no adverse effects on the alarm operation, other than not letting you know if something else is not closed properly.[/I]
As has been noted earlier, this disables the interior motion sensor of the alarm as well. Test it. Roll down your windows, lock your car with the remote from the outside, and then stick your arm in the window and wave it around and see if the alarm goes off.

Every day - on another note, got any good pics of your car showing off the wheels? I am considering the RS-GT as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

I'd like a more mellow tone or something - not an alarm chirp. Just something that I can hear so I don't have to stare at a sometimes difficult to see tail light indicator.

The range of the key radio is only about 20 feet on my key. I'll admit that it's a bit inconvenient to have to stare at the car just to see if I have successfully actuated the locks and alarm.

Deactivating the center console lid switch isn't really a good fix in my view. Like someone else mentioned, it is only chirping to tell you that something isn't closed properly - like maybe the passenger door - that's no solution, it's just a temporary workaround.

Maybe someone can get a little piezo and make some kind of aftermarket kit that does what I think everyone would like - an unobtrusive beep or tone to let you know that you locked up the car without that annoying alarm chirp. I don't know why, but I find those alarm chirp sounds very annoying - I need a different tone.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a brilliant idea. One could attach a little 'whistler' to the turn signal wiring. That way, when the car's alarm is armed, you'll hear a little tweet when the turn signal circuit is activated. (N.B. - you'd probably also hear this little chirping every time your are changing lanes or turning, so be forewarned)

Old 03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Originally Posted by nycebo
I have a brilliant idea. One could attach a little 'whistler' to the turn signal wiring. That way, when the car's alarm is armed, you'll hear a little tweet when the turn signal circuit is activated. (N.B. - you'd probably also hear this little chirping every time your are changing lanes or turning, so be forewarned)

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. If you MUST have an audible confirmation...you can have any qualified installer, install a PIEZO or PEZO that can beep or chirp for you. Very easy install.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Einstein
Instructor

you can use any of these buzzers.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...5/Buzzers.html

the trick would be to find the relay that flickers the lights when the alarm is armed. once you find that relay just wire a cable from the relay to the buzzer.

got FSM for you car?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 AM
every day
Racer

As has been noted earlier, this disables the interior motion sensor of the alarm as well. Test it. Roll down your windows, lock your car with the remote from the outside, and then stick your arm in the window and wave it around and see if the alarm goes off.

Every day - on another note, got any good pics of your car showing off the wheels? I am considering the RS-GT as well.
Actually my alarm still works - just tested it out and blew out my eardrums in my garage.

The sound that the horn makes when locking the car is pretty muted, not like an alarm or even a normal honking sound, just a very quick little beep.

Jerler - I love the RS-GT's. Fantastic wheel with a very natural look on these cars!

Quick Reply: Can I get the alarm to "chirp" when I lock the car?