996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Modular Wheels of Miami Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007 | 05:01 PM
997Upitt
was Onceman

Default Modular Wheels of Miami Florida

I'm new to Rennlist, but have been a Porsche fanatic for the last 15 years. Just picked up my first 996 and am looking at changing the wheels. It's a 99 with 40,000 miles with the factory 17inch twists. I found a great looking set of 19inch wheels made by a company called Modular Wheels. Has anyone ever heard of, or done business with them? I've googled them and have found some good info. Their Ebay feedback is pretty good as well. Any and all insight appreciated.
Old 02-25-2007 | 11:30 PM
M3killa
Banned

ebay also known as highline, I think............. They are cheap knockoffs imo.
Old 02-25-2007 | 11:42 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Originally Posted by oncman
I'm new to Rennlist, but have been a Porsche fanatic for the last 15 years. Just picked up my first 996 and am looking at changing the wheels. It's a 99 with 40,000 miles with the factory 17inch twists. I found a great looking set of 19inch wheels made by a company called Modular Wheels. Has anyone ever heard of, or done business with them? I've googled them and have found some good info. Their Ebay feedback is pretty good as well. Any and all insight appreciated.

I just posted about these wheels in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...65#post3917965

Yes, they are knockoffs, and yes, they are cheap....Incredibly cheap at 1/4 the cost of originals.

The offsets are great, the wheels are great, and no your car doesn't blow up from replica rims...

Does everyone think that factory rims on all cars these days cost $800 a piece? So when you pay $200 for knockoffs, that doesn't mean they are bad wheels. I wouldn't go racing at LeMans with knockoffs, but otherwise they are great.
Old 02-26-2007 | 12:49 AM
M3killa
Banned

They are heavy and you get what you pay for. The wheels look good from a distance but there is a clear difference. Don't kid yourself into thinking you can have BBS for $200/wheel. Fake rolex watches suck too.
Old 02-26-2007 | 12:50 AM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Don't be a hater. These things are not that heavy and they look great. I know it sucks when you pay big bucks and in the end got less value for the money...
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:16 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

They are heavy, and they are FAKE multipiece wheels...they are 3 piece "look" one piece wheels...at least the ones I was looking at. So you get what you pay for....wheels are one of the most important elements of the car, as you feel them every second you are driving....so MOST people dont go woth the knock offs, as there is usually a reason they are so cheap....I would rather do what I did, find a set of facory "take-offs" at LESS than the price of knock offs, and get lighter weight, higher quality and better performance....but you have to look around....
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:10 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorschePRH
Don't be a hater. These things are not that heavy and they look great. I know it sucks when you pay big bucks and in the end got less value for the money...
How much do they weigh?
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:22 AM
NOBY
Pro

I also purchased a set of wheels from EUROWHEELS on ebay and my friend bought from MODULAR WHEELS almost the same shape, will put some pictures when my car and rims arrives here in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:39 AM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Originally Posted by newport996
They are heavy, and they are FAKE multipiece wheels...they are 3 piece "look" one piece wheels...at least the ones I was looking at. So you get what you pay for....wheels are one of the most important elements of the car, as you feel them every second you are driving....so MOST people dont go woth the knock offs, as there is usually a reason they are so cheap....I would rather do what I did, find a set of facory "take-offs" at LESS than the price of knock offs, and get lighter weight, higher quality and better performance....but you have to look around....
Let me first say that I am just a consumer of these wheels and have nothing to do with making or selling them.

So, how many pieces do you think my factory turbo twist wheels are? 3? 2? Nope -- 1!

Porsche better send out a recall notice since 1 piece wheels are crap according to you!

And while I fully understand the aspects of sprung and unsprung weight -- I am actually an engineer by the way, not a forum troll pretending to be one -- if unsprung weight was so critical to daily driving needs, we would not be driving on 18" rims from the factory. We would all be on 15's. As the rims get bigger they get heavier. And many people are putting on REAL expensive 19" rims that weigh as a total with tires more than their factory wheels.

Are they dying? Don't think so.

And, I am not just someone that "looked" at these rims. I have 2 sets of replicas from different manufactures and I haven't had any issues with balancing, fit, looks, or warping. They are TUV approved.

I do get a lot of compliments on my wheels, though.

And I do know people that go to the track with them.

And by the way, absolutely no noticeable difference when driving between factory and these rims. That's after 2 years of hands on experience.

So please don't go scaring people off of a good, inexpensive way to make a huge improvement on the looks of their car with your alarmist, unsubstantiated arguments.

And now some eye candy (and yes they do fit the factory caps):
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2007 | 12:00 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePRH
Let me first say that I am just a consumer of these wheels and have nothing to do with making or selling them.

So, how many pieces do you think my factory turbo twist wheels are? 3? 2? Nope -- 1!

Porsche better send out a recall notice since 1 piece wheels are crap according to you!

And while I fully understand the aspects of sprung and unsprung weight -- I am actually an engineer by the way, not a forum troll pretending to be one -- if unsprung weight was so critical to daily driving needs, we would not be driving on 18" rims from the factory. We would all be on 15's. As the rims get bigger they get heavier. And many people are putting on REAL expensive 19" rims that weigh as a total with tires more than their factory wheels.

Are they dying? Don't think so.

And, I am not just someone that "looked" at these rims. I have 2 sets of replicas from different manufactures and I haven't had any issues with balancing, fit, looks, or warping. They are TUV approved.

I do get a lot of compliments on my wheels, though.

And I do know people that go to the track with them.

And by the way, absolutely no noticeable difference when driving between factory and these rims. That's after 2 years of hands on experience.

So please don't go scaring people off of a good, inexpensive way to make a huge improvement on the looks of their car with your alarmist, unsubstantiated arguments.

And now some eye candy (and yes they do fit the factory caps):
First off, I NEVER said 1 piece wheels are crap...I said FAKE 1 piece wheels are crap, no matter how good they "LOOK"....Some people are not posers who just want some bling, some want functionality to their sports car. If thats the case then these are not the wheels for them..People use them at the track because they are cheap and they dont want to ruin their nore expensive wheels. That doesnt make them BETTER than stock...and if you are comparing them to stock twists, thats the HEAVIEST wheel Porsche makes...Why spend all the money and get NO performance increase? Also why buy fake 3 piece wheels? Why buy fake anything? It amazes me when you buy a $70,000 car and put the cheapest wheels you can find on them. I posted the FACTS about the wheels, they look nice, but so does a fake Carrera GT kit on a Boxster frame until you look closely....just like someone said, why buy a real Rolex when a fake one will keep time just as good, because the quality, workmanship, etc.....Rant off.....here is some FACTORY eye candy, 19's that weigh LESS than your 18's and I spent half what you did.....

Old 02-26-2007 | 12:11 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Sorry to be the one that breaks the news to you, but there are plenty of people that put form over function.

Uh, do you have a fake turbo look going there, buddy? That's definitely not the front bumper lip of C4S, and how much performance did you get out of the clear markers and black paint on your wheels?

Chump.
Old 02-26-2007 | 12:13 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

I don't even think that's a C4s!

You, my friend are the ultimate poser!

LMAO!!!
Old 02-26-2007 | 03:20 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Actually if you look its a C4, not a C4S, I like that bumper better, but if you must know there is more function, it has the opening for the center radiatior, so cooler temps, also its lower, reducing lift, making the car more stable at high speeds....clear markers and black paint are for the aestehtics of the car, but again all factory and REAL. Nothing compared to FAKE wheels...poser....and what function do your fake wheel bolts have? oh yeah NONE. They are there to make people who dont know THINK you spent alot of money on them, when you really didnt...like fake gold chains, cubic zirconias and fake watches....you buy your wife fake gucci or prada purses? She probably would NEVER stand for it...take a hint.

Idiot....
Old 02-26-2007 | 04:05 PM
Nico Jones
Advanced

While I'd love to sit and watch the fireworks , I think the first and most important question is where's the pics of the new ride!!
Old 02-26-2007 | 04:49 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Not to take sides, but as I have mention to newport, he has one of the best looking 996 IMO. Could he have achived that with Fiber Glass body kit and replica wheels...hell yes. Will the quality last and provide a better ride...definitely NO. At the end of the day, it is all about how you feel and the peace of mind you get between the real stuff and the fake. Using the analogy of the Rolex watch, the really good quality imitations are almost undetectable by the naked eyes. But everytime you wash your hands, go for a swim or jump in the hot tub(hopefully not a lone), your mind wonders if it is really waterproof. Some people just don't fancy the doubt.

Quick Reply: Modular Wheels of Miami Florida