996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

0-60 & 1/4 mile time for mufflers, headers, &CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Scott, your trip to the drag strip sounds like fun. My Saleen was set up for open track events; however, I had a ton of fun with it at the drag strip. It was frustrating trying to get a decent launch in the Saleen....it wouldn't hook up until 3rd. The porsche has way better traction. With the tip, it's a lot easier to get consistent times. Let me know what your times are. I'll keep you posted if I can improve mine. Mark.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 Carrera 4...it has the K&N intake, the "brain surgery" and the sport exhaust ... those are the only mods as far as increasing performance/power/speed...my trip to the track returned a 13.4 @ 104.3 mph...That was my first run and every run after that (did 5 total) I kept getting slower and slower...all the way to a 13.9 at 102mph...as the car gets warm, we loose a lot of hp...
Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 393 Posts

Tailwag, is your a tip or a 6-speed? You ought to think about some headers. I live pretty close to Evo down here in Arizona and once asked one of their rep's what the best performance combo for the money was. He admitted it was headers plus intake. He said that you might get a little out of an exhaust, but that it is mostly sound. My mechanic who is a former cup team mechanic and factory-trained tech echoed the same sentiments, saying that if he were to do only one performance mod on a n/a 996 it would be a well-designed set of headers (he is not a fan of the intakes on the early cars due to the pre-02 MAF design. Incidentally, this guy is very picky about what he puts on cars and just raves about the fabspeed units.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Tailwag, is your a tip or a 6-speed? You ought to think about some headers. I live pretty close to Evo down here in Arizona and once asked one of their rep's what the best performance combo for the money was. He admitted it was headers plus intake. He said that you might get a little out of an exhaust, but that it is mostly sound. My mechanic who is a former cup team mechanic and factory-trained tech echoed the same sentiments, saying that if he were to do only one performance mod on a n/a 996 it would be a well-designed set of headers (he is not a fan of the intakes on the early cars due to the pre-02 MAF design. Incidentally, this guy is very picky about what he puts on cars and just raves about the fabspeed units.
Thanks Scott....mine is a 6speed. I have been playing with the idea of the headers...Imagine Auto is next door to me...only about 8 miles from my office. I just got my brakes and oil change done and they found I have started to show RMS issues...the seal was kind of moist so now the countdown begins. I knew it was only a matter of time so I think I will get all that stuff done at the same time...I have the sport exhaust and love the sound...I can certainly deal with even more sound so I think I will go with your advice...thanks!!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Tailwag, I agree with Scott. The headers sound great. I'm sure they make the car faster....if only because I drive it faster just to hear the incredible sound. Check out the plenum post. I want one!
Your 1/4 mile time looks great. It definately takes more skill to get a good time with a stick. My first run with my Saleen produced my best time also.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I have a 99 Carrera 4...it has the K&N intake, the "brain surgery" and the sport exhaust ... those are the only mods as far as increasing performance/power/speed...my trip to the track returned a 13.4 @ 104.3 mph...That was my first run and every run after that (did 5 total) I kept getting slower and slower...all the way to a 13.9 at 102mph...as the car gets warm, we loose a lot of hp...
You must be a drag racer to get that time out of a C4, I am impressed. Just curious, did you do any full throttle shifts or did you let off the throttle betweens shifts, I assume the latter but those times are pretty good.

Quick Reply: 0-60 & 1/4 mile time for mufflers, headers, &CAI