Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is speeding on highways OK?
On a Highway/motorway, of course! No limits
47.06%
Yes, but a speed limit should be placed
40.00%
I like it how it is
5.88%
Absolutely not
7.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Is speeding dangeous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
care4era
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is speeding dangeous?

I was driving in Germany on the weekend on the autobahn very fast and it was legal. Funny how in one country it is fine and in others it is akin to rape. So here is a poll. I think speeding is fine if you have 3 lanes and a straight road
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

They should have the four lanes you want to do 60 65 STAY IN THE RIGHT hand lanes. 3rd lane from the right should be a say 80 -90. 4th Lane no limit but you must stay true to the lanes. SLOW GET OUT THE WAY haha. That would be awesome
Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Lotta idiots in America. People drive their SUV's in the fast lane and won't move over.

If you get rid of speed limits, there needs to be laws and tickets issued for people driving less than 90 in the fast lane.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
care4era
Racer

Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
They should have the four lanes you want to do 60 65 STAY IN THE RIGHT hand lanes. 3rd lane from the right should be a say 80 -90. 4th Lane no limit but you must stay true to the lanes. SLOW GET OUT THE WAY haha. That would be awesome
That is how it is in Germany. Be fast or be flashed by the xenons. Even if there is 2 lanes. Silly Politicians in the rest of the world.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i think when people are in the fast lane...their min, speed should be the speed limit... if not.....GET OUT OF THE WAY... i really hate the idiots that's on the cell phones talking and talking their sweet time driving making everyone behind them wait as if they own the road.....
speed limit ..... i thiink there should be a lisc. for those who can handle the high speed...... all others need to stay in the slow or right lane.....
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is speeding, 1 mph over the speed limit? Where on the Interstate, local HWY, Rural Route, local street or neighborhood?

Many times I pass people driving slower than I on the local HWY but once I get in my neighborhood those same people are riding my bumper on 25 mph streets.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by care4era
I was driving in Germany on the weekend on the autobahn very fast and it was legal. Funny how in one country it is fine and in others it is akin to rape. So here is a poll. I think speeding is fine if you have 3 lanes and a straight road
hey man.. i drove on autobahn before also. its a religious experience. i felt like i was in heaven. i hate driving in United States.

there are really no speed limits in ukraine/russia either since you can bribe the police when you get pulled over ($10 usually gets you out of most violations), but the roads in those countries wont allow you to go over 100mph...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me that speeding is not dangerous, in itself, because a speed limit has been exceeded; rather, it is dangerous when:

1. Vehicle speed exceeds the driver's ability to control the vehicle in the circumstances/conditions in which it's being driven, and/or
2. Vehicle speed exceeds the specific performance capabilities of the vehicle.

When the above two factors, either singly or in combination, place the driver, the vehicle, or others at risk, then it can legitimately be said that speeding is dangerous in that situation.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I vote for "it depends"

I think it's safe to say that most American's can't drive worth sh.t, especially in major cities (like LA!).
Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I can go with that. But there are still a few more factors beyond the control of the driver when on public roads that occur while speeding or not like other people, other creatures, or debris.

Originally Posted by VGM911
It seems to me that speeding is not dangerous, in itself, because a speed limit has been exceeded; rather, it is dangerous when:

1. Vehicle speed exceeds the driver's ability to control the vehicle in the circumstances/conditions in which it's being driven, and/or
2. Vehicle speed exceeds the specific performance capabilities of the vehicle.

When the above two factors, either singly or in combination, place the driver, the vehicle, or others at risk, then it can legitimately be said that speeding is dangerous in that situation.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup, too much American Pride in the left lane for it to EVER work here. There is just way too much of the "I have a Constitutional right" here. Besdies, think about what it takes to get a drivers license here in the states. I got mine at 15 for somethng like $300 and 6 weeks of twice a week instruction. Not even close to what it takes in Germany (age or teaching).
Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by care4era
So, 75mph through times square in NYC is ok as long as everyone is on sidewalks?

Speed limits play to
1) "conserve" energy
2) Providing revenue
3) Dumbing it down to protect the stupid

BTW, did you investigate the penalties for Speeding in Germany? Sure, some stretches of Highway have no limit, but many do, all trucks are limited and well, the cops drive BMWs and Porsches to catch those who ignore the posted limits
Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed doesn't kill. It's the stopping that does.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yup, too much American Pride in the left lane for it to EVER work here. There is just way too much of the "I have a Constitutional right" here. Besdies, think about what it takes to get a drivers license here in the states. I got mine at 15 for somethng like $300 and 6 weeks of twice a week instruction. Not even close to what it takes in Germany (age or teaching).
I tend to agree. The driving tests I've seen (CA, MA and PA) have been laughably simple. It's ridiculous. You cannot expect people to drive well when driver's tests are little more than a rubber stamp that you've driven around the block without killing someone. You get what you pay for - low standards in driver's tests mean bad drivers. Make driver's tests meaningful and a real demonstration of driving skill, then maybe American drivers will behave better and have adequate skills to drive properly and considerately at high speed.

This thread is a bit of a joke really. It's almost like posting in a hacker's forum whether it's okay to crack codes.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

It's more than just the driver's test really. It's enforcing laws on the road which a lot of states already have: proper use of the left lane. We just don't make a priority of fining drivers that either drive too slowly in the left lane or don't move over for faster traffic.

You've all experienced it, some of you may even be offenders. You set the cruise control to a fixed rate of speed and you stay in the left lane come hell or highwater.

Higher speed limits work in Germany because the laws on use of the lanes is strictly enforced. No passing to the right hand side, no holding up faster traffic behind you. Slower vehicles are not allowed to even use the left most lanes. And finally, the highways are simply made for higher speeds with banked curves and wider shoulders.

I remember having dinner a couple of years back with some engineers from Fiat of Italy. They were frightened by our highways. People passing them at high speed on the right lane, others who wouldn't move over and became enraged when they flashed their high beams.

Things they took for granted in their home country as being laws of the road.

Quick Reply: Is speeding dangeous?