Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Reading up on 996's - Do Enthusiasts drive the hell out of their cars??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Surprising post? I asked if you had to really abuse a 996 to get the problems that I discovered in my various searches - to occur. Try doing a search for my question - bet mine is the only one that comes up.

Do you really expect 996 owners to freely admit that they abused their cars before the problem occurred? Moreover, my guess is that for the vast majority of 996 owners, the money they paid for their 996 was a significant outlay even if bought used. Hence I believe that it would be reasonable to expect that they would not abuse their cars, since they would try to protect their investment. I think that it all comes down to luck since most 996 owners have trouble free cars but some experience engine issues.

So the odds are in your favor and you could betetr the odds by getting a CPO 996.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll repeat it a few more times, but the 996 may well be THE car bargain of the century. To those who turn their snouts up at 996s, I say, do so towards 996 GT3s, as that's what I intend to puirchase next (and yes, I will keep my '03 996 til they pry it from my cold deadh hands, to paraphrase Chuck Heston). PPI and common sense are your best tools for avoiding disaster (a voodoo chicken sacrifice couldn't hurt).
Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Do you really expect 996 owners to freely admit that they abused their cars before the problem occurred? Moreover, my guess is that for the vast majority of 996 owners, the money they paid for their 996 was a significant outlay even if bought used. Hence I believe that it would be reasonable to expect that they would not abuse their cars, since they would try to protect their investment. I think that it all comes down to luck since most 996 owners have trouble free cars but some experience engine issues.

So the odds are in your favor and you could betetr the odds by getting a CPO 996.

Good luck.
I guess abuse is the wrong word. I really meant "drive the hell out of"! Still, like you say, odds are with me (I hope).

And I fully plan on a PPI before I buy! CPO would be nice!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by AndyK
I guess abuse is the wrong word. I really meant "drive the hell out of"! Still, like you say, odds are with me (I hope).

And I fully plan on a PPI before I buy! CPO would be nice!
Andy - Also, have them run a DME report so that you can check the engine for over revs. There are 6 ranges on the report with revs in ranges 4-6 likely to cause engine damage.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy - Also, have them run a DME report so that you can check the engine for over revs. There are 6 ranges on the report with revs in ranges 4-6 likely to cause engine damage.
Is a DME report something all Porsche dealers can do? Also, are there no rev limiters on the 996s?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Einstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all porsches should take a licking and keep on ticking! that's what they were made for. no excuses.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein
all porsches should take a licking and keep on ticking! that's what they were made for. no excuses.
What should Nissans do?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i drive it hard at least 4 times a week......
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I've put 22,000 miles on my daily driver '02 since I bought it in May. It's eaten two RMS and two cats in that time, but they were all covered under the CPO and emissions warranties. The only time it's stranded me was my own battery-related fault (see sad and foolish story plus my mother's reaction here ).

I have no hesitation running it hard as my only car, and I will be taking it on a 3500 mile road trip in May for the Silver State Classic followed by exploring the Rockies.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by AndyK
Is a DME report something all Porsche dealers can do? Also, are there no rev limiters on the 996s?
Hell, if you have a laptop and a cable you can do the download yourself, but to answer your question, yes any Porsche Dealer can do it. It just takes a few minutes.

If you hit up against the rev limiter, you will have a range 1 incident. That's no big deal. The rev limiter will only protect you on upshifts by cutting off the fuel supply. If you down shift into the wrong gear, you can still blow or at least damage the engine and the rev limiter will offer no protection. I certainly wouldn't buy any car that had incidents in range 4 and higher.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 AM
VR4 Playa
Advanced

Originally Posted by NNH
I will be taking it on a 3500 mile road trip in May for the Silver State Classic followed by exploring the Rockies.
lol, you call that a "road trip"... just got back from a 6307.1 mile trip from Chicago to California while hitting up several spots in between... then again i did it in my parents boring ol' Monte Carlo instead of a Porsche... but oh did I dream of doing that in a 996

speaking of that, has anyone here bought their P-car from a long distance? if so, how would you go about getting the PPI done... would it be one of those get a one-way ticket and hope the car checks out... otherwise gotta get another plane ticket and realize you just wasted a bunch of money... 'cause I might be crazy enough to do that when I get back from Austria and start the "quest" for my 996... but I guess the only thing that would take me past 500 miles or so is if it was a respected member of this community that I knew serviced his p-car meticulously and for some reason had to sell it
Old 02-15-2007, 06:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NNH
I've put 22,000 miles on my daily driver '02 since I bought it in May. It's eaten two RMS and two cats in that time, but they were all covered under the CPO and emissions warranties.
Yikes! Not exactly a Porsche commercial, is it!? TWO cats would cost quite a nice sum if you didn't have the warranty. I guess that's why consumer reports has a black circle under "exhaust" for the MY02!

Hell, if you have a laptop and a cable you can do the download yourself, but to answer your question, yes any Porsche Dealer can do it. It just takes a few minutes.

If you hit up against the rev limiter, you will have a range 1 incident. That's no big deal. The rev limiter will only protect you on upshifts by cutting off the fuel supply. If you down shift into the wrong gear, you can still blow or at least damage the engine and the rev limiter will offer no protection. I certainly wouldn't buy any car that had incidents in range 4 and higher.
Interesting!! Thanks!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine's 3 years old - I'm an enthusiast and I beat the crap out of it. Couldn't wait for the ice yesterday - ummmmm, donuts!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein
That's a silly, vague statement. The cars should be able to handle repeated hard braking and sustained high RPM driving but they aren't built to be launched hard, power shifted, or driven hard while cold. I think a number of people confuse 'taking a licking' and abuse.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Mine's 3 years old - I'm an enthusiast and I beat the crap out of it. Couldn't wait for the ice yesterday - ummmmm, donuts!!
Phil - LOL This post could come back to haunt you when you sell your car.

Quick Reply: Reading up on 996's - Do Enthusiasts drive the hell out of their cars??