Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever done a yes/no M96 failure poll?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Re: the mechanics...good mechanics have a stable of people they service and cars they know. They can estimate based on the population they service how impactful the engine failures are (number of long term customers, number that have failures). So the point is valid.

Who is offended or saddened? I haven't seen any of that, just lively banter You really shouldn't be annoyed when people ask questions. RMS leaks and engine failures are a "known" thing with this car (valid or not) and naturally people will be interested in researching those perceived issues as much as they can before they make a large purchase. Not doing so is just folly.

Cheers

IF thats how you feel search for my posts, there are plenty of them
Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
They can estimate based on the population they service how impactful the engine failures are (number of long term customers, number that have failures). So the point is valid.
Actual it is NOT valid. The offer still stands to call me during my office hours or to sit in on one of my lectures to get a thorough explanation. Apparently you forgot the definition of validity. And this argument holds ZERO validity. The ONLY validity to your argument that your mechanic estimates is nothing more than descriptive data of the EXACT number of M96 motors he has replaced. So.....how many is it?

ps. ask your mechanic if anybody with a 9X6 schedules and appointment to tell him that their motor is fine. See the point yet?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Actual it is NOT valid. The offer still stands to call me during my office hours or to sit in on one of my lectures to get a thorough explanation. Apparently you forgot the definition of validity. And this argument holds ZERO validity. The ONLY validity to your argument that your mechanic estimates is nothing more than descriptive data of the EXACT number of M96 motors he has replaced. So.....how many is it?

ps. ask your mechanic if anybody with a 9X6 schedules and appointment to tell him that their motor is fine. See the point yet?
The proper answer is 7. My friend's buddy's aunt's mother-in-law's son who once worked on a used Ford Tractor told me.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ian, you crack me up!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is fun, we don't discuss this topic nearly enough.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Dell, just accept that you are among the last of the statistics Jedi. Few remain. I could tell you stories about market research data abuse that would curl your hair. Mention exotic concepts like margin of error or sample design these days, and well-groomed MBAs look at you like so many dogs watching TV.

It's the age of truthiness.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

To the original poster - as a guy who has paid to have an engine replaced, I believe it is something you have to consider before purchasing one of these early 996's. Your mechanic told you what my mechanic told me - that prior to the 996 he had NEVER seen a Porsche engine do what mine did, and never seen catastrophic problems where Porsche was replacing motors at such a rate.

I think that we can all agree that Porsche has never replaced engines in any other model like they have in the 996/Boxter. Correct? Can we at least agree on that? I think that is indisputable.

Is that statistical proof that you should not own one of buy one? No. But to me, it does increase the chances that you will be coming out of pocket for a major repair.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BruceP
Dell, just accept that you are among the last of the statistics Jedi. Few remain.
Then may the force be with me
Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then may the force be with me
Does that make you statistically insignificant then old chap?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I got your insignificant!
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joes c4 cab, thanks...good post

Glad to see someone actually acknowledges they understand what I'm trying to ask (even though I know a lot of you do, you just choose to belabour) rather than nitpick statistics and whether a mechanics estimate of for every 100 cars he sees 8 have catastrophic failures of the engine is valid or not, or whether a forum poll is meaningful (so why have polls in the forum then?).

Of course such a small biased sample makes it completely useless on its OWN...IT IS USELESS ALONE...but my G35 mechanic has NEVER seen a G35 engine die. So as a comparison tool it's rather useful to me

Such fun :>
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell - Wish I could find a picture of slimy Tony Blair doing something similar, but all I can find is him smiling weekly, holding hands, and looking like George's bitch!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 996 engine was destroyed by a coolant leak. No warranty left. Why did I buy another engine? Because the CAR IS FANTASTIC TO DRIVE!!! Can't wait till it's finished with the new 997S engine. Right now there's a guy doing computer magic on the new ECU. (OK, OK, so it's in line to have that done, but at least thinking about it feeds my track dreams).
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BrockPorsche,

They hammer everyone who brings this up....don't let it bother you. Don't worry about the car's reliability either. If you want one, buy it, enjoy it, and get if fixed if it breaks and enjoy it some more. All Porsches are great cars and well worth whatever the cost, as long as you can afford it.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

What happens if you get OIL on your MAF? Would it go bad more quickly if you got 15W-50 oil on it versus getting 0W-40 on it?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever done a yes/no M96 failure poll?