Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How is the 996 Targa viewed amongst Porscheophiles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Default How is the 996 Targa viewed amongst Porscheophiles?

I have heard that the early ones were not that desireable.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
itorque
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Targa and I would not trade it for anything. The roof assembly is basically the same as the 2007 targa (so I am told) except for the outer molding.

The glass roof makes for a significantly different feel inside the car. Much more open.

the downside is if you intend to race the body is not as rigid as a coupe.

Even though I know the car will not be a collectors item I do feel that it is more unique and therefore ultimately more valuable. Just look around and compare the number of targas to coupes. When I am parked in a line of 996 coupes people will always come up to my car becaue it is so diferent.

I can say that if I were to buy a 997 it would be a Targa.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

From the top?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Default Desirability is in the eye of the beholder, but market forces are real....

As an owner of an '02 Targa I can definitely say I'm a fan, but I was considering coupes, targas, convertibles and C4Ss. The market says Targas are not as desirable as some other models, and probably not a collector item. Some targa owners, and definitely dealerships think otherwise though, with fairly aspirational pricing. I was looking in general for 5 months and pulled the trigger when I found a good deal on a Targa last summer.

I prefer the look of the C4S but at the time the budget wasn't there for me. I also have owned a Honda S2000 convertible and really wasn't passionate about top down driving. Base coupes were fine, but I liked the idea of the the targa see through roof providing an airy, roomier feel to the car, and being able to open up on demand. The look of a targa would be optimal though if they could have retained the rounded look of the coupe's rear side windows. The angled Targa side window edge does detract from the 'chiseled from a whole piece' beauty of the base and C4S coupes.

If you're interested, drive a base coupe and a targa as close to back to back as possible. You'll probably quickly see what camp you fall into.....

Good luck searching,
Piccia
'02 Targa
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With respect to 996 Targas, there are no "early" or "late" models since they were not introduced until after the revamp in '02.

I love my '02 Targa. It really depend upon what you want. Want to drive on the track? A Targa is not the best choice. Want a very cool daily driver? I would not pick any other model over a Targa.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very close to buying an 2002 Targa but spend the money on a coupe instead. Is all about preference. Rare indeed, only 35 Targas a year in Canada...then again is demand and supply.
Porsche is a drivers car, so for most people who enjoys the drving aspect, they would do with the coupe or if they prefer cruising with wind in their face, go with the cab. The Targa is definitely built for a niche market. Love the hatch back for my golf clubs, that it for me. Since my wife is keeping my Saab Viggen Conv. I bought the coupe instead.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
I have heard that the early ones were not that desireable.
By "the early ones" do you mean the early, early ones with the removable cloth top? They're not well regarded at all. The 996 Targa is a horse of a different color. I don't remember hearing anything bad about them.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

only if they made a 996 C4S Targa, i would have bought that!!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, by the early ones I mean the cars with the removable top...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Racing no, looks yes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

The removable Targa top went out long before the 996. Even so, the removable Targa was noisy, leaked a bit, hard to put on and take off in the dark, but was still a wonderful car in its'.
day.

[IMG] http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/82...arga_copy1.jpg
Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
STRASPEC
Instructor

I love the targa design. I would definately choose a targa over a cab any day, but I like racing so coupe it is.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Thegman
Banned

Here is the deal: The side view of a Targa is very similar to a coupe. Way nicer than a cab! You get a huge sun roof and the security of a coupe. You also get a hatch back for ease of loading luggage. That total smoked glass top from windshield to rear hatch is very attractive. Lastly, only 2-3 hundred were produced each year. Potential collectors item.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
The removable Targa top went out long before the 996. Even so, the removable Targa was noisy, leaked a bit, hard to put on and take off in the dark, but was still a wonderful car in its'.

I drove an early Targa for ten years and it was none of those things. I did have to replace the seals and a new top runs in the $$ thousands, but mine never leaked, never squeaked, and I could put it on and take it off w/my eyes closed.

I miss her

The 993 Targas did have some problems w/leaks and squeaks.

The new style Targas are nothing more than a giant sunroof and don't offer the same feel that the old style did. Why I went w/a cab. That being said, those who have them, love them.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I certainly did not mean to be derogatory in any way. My 82
targa was my favorite Porsche and i would love to have it back

Quick Reply: How is the 996 Targa viewed amongst Porscheophiles?