996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

'02 C4S Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in a similar situation with a car out of NY. Carfax shows an accident report and police case #. Bill provided by the owner lists a $2500 repair of right rear fender/bumber cap (+ 750 for a rear wheel replacement). Something to be concerned about?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50k? You're killing me.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
50k? You're killing me.
+1 [whimper]
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Hey Phil, you and I should pick out some investments together. If they work out as well as our Porsches, we'll have the families in the poor house in no time!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you leasing or financing? If you are paying cash and planning to keep the car forever, great.
Bargain and you may end up with a great deal.
Leasing and financing companies will not touch a Porsche with accident history." No Residual Value "

When in doubt, walk away.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Accident aside if C4S's are going through auctions in the high 40's wouldn't you think this one with only 14000 miles would be very close to 50? Then deduct how much for the accident and add whatever since it is being bought from a dealer. I would think it would leave you pretty close to 50 no?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez! $50k isn't a bad deal for an 02 with 14K!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Maybe that's true, I still say, if you want a Porsche, buy it clean. I highly doubt someone made a claim on a simple bumper replacement. If he buys that car, and gets into an accidnet (cause they happen), that car will have 2 carfax reports and be close to worthless.

There is a reason that MOST dealers won't even deal with a bad Carfax Porsche. I mean, you're taking enough of a chance with a clean car, much less one with a bad history.

All i am doing is passing along the great advice I got when shopping for my P.
Gant - you forgot to tell him to avoid any cars that have this "switch" on the upper center console!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Maybe that's true, I still say, if you want a Porsche, buy it clean. I highly doubt someone made a claim on a simple bumper replacement.
Ever price a Porsche part? I imagine that buying, painting and installing a new bumper cover isn't going to be real cheap. And if you've got insurance, why not use it? Or just as likely, someone else hit the car and their insurance paid for it. What are you going to do, pay for someone else's mistake yourself just so that there's no record of the accident?

Any good body shop will be able to look at the car and see what was done. If the work was done well enough that it looks factory (and they can't spot the damage) then it shouldn't concern you.

I agree that a perfect unmolested pristine virginal car is optimum. I'm just trying to point out that a minor repair shouldn't keep you from buying a car that otherwise fits the bill for you.

Michael
Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
Gant - you forgot to tell him to avoid any cars that have this "switch" on the upper center console!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
rmillnj
Racer

As long as the PPI is ok and there is no evidence of damage from the accident, I would not worry about it. The big "but" is that if you ever go to trade it in at a dealer, they will really knock down the value of the car due to the carfax. If you are buying from a private owner, that should be a major negotiation point. While the mileage is nice, the car will never officially be valued on the high side by anyone who sees the carfax with a report of an accident. I had a Boxster that I took for a trade and the dealer saw that one panel had been painted and they immediately dropped $5000 off the value. Another dealer didn't bother to check the paint and I got full value.

If you don't care about potential resale value, just make sure you are happy with the car. But if money means anything to you, it should be part of the negotiations. The car should be valued at the lower end of the curve due to the carfax.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
fbeyer56
AutoX

Thanks everyone for your advice/comments. The seller isn't willing to move off the $50k price and can not provide me with a copy of the repair invoice, so I've decided to keep looking. I am not planning to sell it soon, but as several pointed out, an accident on it's vehicle history will impact the value, especially if I can't produce a repair invoice to show what was repaired. So the search continues!!!

Thanks again
Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Hey Phil, you and I should pick out some investments together. If they work out as well as our Porsches, we'll have the families in the poor house in no time!
Fortunately, I didn't buy the Porsche as an investment. But, mine is certainly worth more than the $40K's - an '04 with 1900 miles, yeah!

Quick story - back in '70 my brother and I were driving back on route 22 near Easton PA and passed a Toyota dealer. On the floor was a brand new white Toyota 2000GT - MSRP $7K (James Bond drove one in one of the flicks). I asked how the car got into the country since they weren't DOT legal then. Dealer was as surprised as we were - but said it was for sale at list price. We knew, even then, that the car would be worth something down the road. Just saw one in Hemmings Motor News this month - for $249K. Unfortunately, in '70, we just didn't have the $$ to buy it and put it away as an investment. Unlike baseball cards (I routinely put my Mickey Mantle cards on the spokes of my bike), we knew the car would be worth lots of $$ someday, and it now most certainly is!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
BReyes
Racer

I think you have made a good decision. The issue may be mute, but no records is disconcerning. I had Jack in Norcross do a PPI for many years ago and taught me it is important to know when to walk away.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2007, 01:25 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fbeyer56
Thanks everyone for your advice/comments. The seller isn't willing to move off the $50k price and can not provide me with a copy of the repair invoice, so I've decided to keep looking. I am not planning to sell it soon, but as several pointed out, an accident on it's vehicle history will impact the value, especially if I can't produce a repair invoice to show what was repaired. So the search continues!!!

Thanks again
Very, VERY smart choice. If you see any in the St. Lou area, I will be happy to check-it-out.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Quick Reply: '02 C4S Purchase Advice