Help me UNDO my 3 Piece IForged Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Mz3bo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me UNDO my 3 Piece IForged Wheels

Hi,

I have the 3 piece http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=1 aero wheel and I need to undo the wheel in order to get the lips (4inch wide) repolished. Now, I know I will have to unbolt all the bolts retaining the wheel center piece. Once the process done, how much torque do I need to use when retorquing all those small bolt back in place ? I think there is over 60 of them all around... Also, is there something I should be aware of or is it as simple as it seems to be like ?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 01:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This is something you do NOT want to do. There is an exact torque and order of the bolts set by the manufacturer that you will have a tough time getting. Why don't you have them polished with the wheels intact? I called many people a couple years ago when I wanted to get my sport designs (MkI GT3) wheels redone (painted and clearcoated) and NOBODY would break them apart. Instead, they just wanted to mask off the bolts.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just call I-Forged, the make and assemble their own rims.

Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

I have the 3 piece http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=1 aero wheel and I need to undo the wheel in order to get the lips (4inch wide) repolished. Now, I know I will have to unbolt all the bolts retaining the wheel center piece. Once the process done, how much torque do I need to use when retorquing all those small bolt back in place ? I think there is over 60 of them all around... Also, is there something I should be aware of or is it as simple as it seems to be like ?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Mz3bo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

calling Iforged is not considered, I cannot send the wheels back and forth, I live in canada and that cause a lot of trouble...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do it yourself the torque specs wont be a problem to get but sealing the rim back with what ever sealant wheel shops use is going to be the problem. If not sealed correctly your tires will leak air. I think in the US there's a shop called Wheels America that will do the work for you or just check the net for something in Canada.

Originally Posted by Mz3bo
calling Iforged is not considered, I cannot send the wheels back and forth, I live in canada and that cause a lot of trouble...
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't brain surgery guys. You'll want new bolts and you need instructions from iForged on sealing the halves and torquing the bolts but then it's pretty straight forward. If you're not comfortable doing it any independent shop that does any racing will be glad to help out.
Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that when I had my wheel pro disassemble my BBS LMs, he noticed that they used Loctite for the bolts.

I would never disassemble wheels again. They actually have very expensive machines at the BBS factory that do this sort of thing, but with iForged wheels, who really cares? j/k

I'd just have them do it or not do it at all. I know that it makes the job much more complete to disassemble wheels first. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help me UNDO my 3 Piece IForged Wheels