Sponsored by:

60K service ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 60K service ??

I just had my 60k service. My earlier issue with the CEL seems to be a non- issue. Wheuuuu..... I don't know if it was that I was out of a car for two days, but my 02 C4S seems to feel a bit more responsive. It could be that I had to drive a Ford Focus (company errand car). Had it serviced at South Coast German Cars (Costa Mesa, CA) by Claudio and I am happy with the results. He said not to wait 10K miles for the oil service, said to do it at 4-5K miles if I was going to keep the car. Any input ???
Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep 5k for oil changes is a good plan

Cars like being serviced, and they tell you that by performing better when you go pick them up...

You should get the CEL codes any way, in case they come back (which they have a habit of doing)
Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 AM
dwccfp
Intermediate

When I picked her up today, I asked if everything was ok. He repsonded, there are no problems and that he used the OEM code reader (lost for words.....) said it cost him 40K for the tool. He showed me other bad CEL reads on another car he was working on, said my 4S had a clean bill of health. He said there was nothing wrong with mine. Was my temoray CEL an anomoly?? Did I do a disservice to my car by disconnecting the battery earlier this week?? BTW, I also replaced my MAF and brake pads on all four corners
Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

My independent shop in Huntington beach told me 7500 miles between oil changes.....is it better to do 5K ??? I thought it didn't matter that much because of the synthetic oil that doesn't lose it's viscocity
any input in this?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
My independent shop in Huntington beach told me 7500 miles between oil changes.....is it better to do 5K ??? I thought it didn't matter that much because of the synthetic oil that doesn't lose it's viscocity
any input in this?
It is not the viscocity that becomes a problem it is the additive package that burns off or gets diluted by condensation in the oil. More oil changes = a better protected engine
Old 02-03-2007, 08:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
It is not the viscocity that becomes a problem it is the additive package that burns off or gets diluted by condensation in the oil. More oil changes = a better protected engine
OIL??? Did someone mention OIL????

Damn, time to warm up the popcorn machine.... AGAIN!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
OIL??? Did someone mention OIL????

Damn, time to warm up the popcorn machine.... AGAIN!
Yup, I guess Porsche doesn't know what they're talking about when they say 15K... what a bunch of German amateurs.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Hey, 5k oil changes are peace of mind for me - oil is cheaper than a new engine!

If you feel handy, it's a real easy DIY task, and makes it even cheaper.

As for resetting the codes by disconnecting the battery - well that does wipe out any chance of seeing what was wrong - until it comes back

Next time, get the codes read before resetting and you'll be in a better position.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
evansaero
Pro

how much did they charge for the 60k service?

Did they replace any other wear and tear items?

Why did you have them replace the MAF?

Thanks for the info because I'm about to have mine done
Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Hey, 5k oil changes are peace of mind for me - oil is cheaper than a new engine!

If you feel handy, it's a real easy DIY task, and makes it even cheaper.
True, you are exactly right. In my SUV I change the oil very 5000 miles instead of the 3000 that they try to tell you to do, because 3K oil changes are a rip-off - getting you to change your oil when in the vast majority of cases it is not needed. In the case of the Porsche I do around 10K, depending upon timing.

Having worked with scientists in the oil additives business I've been lucky enough that the shared insight into the condition of oil after it having a good workout in an engine.

In most cases regular oil is good for 5-7.5K (without any sign of degradation). Depending on your driving conditions.

In the case of synthetics, these oils are even more stable. I do not have direct experience with their analysis, but the claims of a 15K oil change do not surprise me and seem rational. Afterall, both Porsche and Mercedes are now on a routine 15K oil change cycle and you can bet that they built some slack into that recommendation knowing that some will exceed it and go a lot longer.

If you car sits idle for a long period of time, then your rational is a good one. For me 15K would mean changing the oil every 3-4 years, so I'm happy to change it sooner, although probably not every 5K miles.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Paid $1,800 For the 60K service that included Brakes at all corners, MAF, Belt, All Fluids and filters replaced. Replaced the MAF because sooner or later it is going to go, Just peace of mind. I could have done the brakes myself, just getting lazy I guess.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Change your oil every 1000 miles to be safe!

And also be sure to place a small pile of hundred dollar bills on the floor in front of your Porsche and set fire to them!

sheech!

This 3K change advice was valid in the last century, but modern synthetic oils will last just fine for 15,000 or more miles.

I change the oil on my 996 at 15K intervals and have it analyzed as well. The test results always come back that the 15K oil is still as good as 0 mile oil, so 15K or 1 year is what I have been doing for quite a while. Even mineral based oils are good for 10K intervals these days.

BTW, cleaning a MAF at 60K with a fuel injection cleaner is just as good as replacing a MAF in the majority of cases. It is unfortunate that the Porsche/Bosch MAF is so expensive. If the idea is preventive maintenance in messing around with the MAF, then clean it first to get the most out of it.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Nice to hear someone else say the oil thing is excessive.

As for the brakes and MAF, why would you do that?!?! Did the brakes need doing? What a waste. i think you just got taken, as that shouldn't be part of the 60K service.

So, what was the cost without the brake and MAF service?

Originally Posted by Orient Express
And also be sure to place a small pile of hundred dollar bills on the floor in front of your Porsche and set fire to them!

sheech!

This 3K change advice was valid in the last century, but modern synthetic oils will last just fine for 15,000 or more miles.

I change the oil on my 996 at 15K intervals and have it analyzed as well. The test results always come back that the 15K oil is still as good as 0 mile oil, so 15K or 1 year is what I have been doing for quite a while. Even mineral based oils are good for 10K intervals these days.

BTW, cleaning a MAF at 60K with a fuel injection cleaner is just as good as replacing a MAF in the majority of cases. It is unfortunate that the Porsche/Bosch MAF is so expensive. If the idea is preventive maintenance in messing around with the MAF, then clean it first to get the most out of it.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Brakes had about 7-10K left on them. My C4S is a daily driver. The older I get the less DIY left in me. The MAF was $378.00, Labor for the 60K service was $365. The pads were $440 with the sensors Labor for the pads was $220. I don't mind paying for the brakes, but knowing I could of cleaned the MAF makes me a bit angry. The local P dealership quoted $1700 for the 60K service, now I know that was over the top, but I justified the $1800 I spent because of the brakes and MAF... Remember all.... I am not a DIY guy so I have to pay to play....... do you hear the crackling of the money burning a hole in my pocket......
Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Yep 5k for oil changes is a good plan
I suppose the only thing this hurts is your wallet, but the oil change intervals on the 997 are up to 20K. The manufacturer warrants them for quite a while and will CPO as well. 15K with a synthetic just does not seem to be too risky.

Last edited by DCP; 02-03-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 60K service ??