Sponsored by:

60K service ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dwccfp
I don't know if it was that I was out of a car for two days, but my 02 C4S seems to feel a bit more responsive.
I used to have this experience with my Bimmer all the time. The reason was that the engine computer thingie got reset and went back to its factory default mapping when they read the codes. I'd heard that it was a favourite autocrosser's trick, too. They'd disconnect the battery for fifteen minutes and things would reset when it was reconnected.

I have to confess, I got more noticeable difference in responsiveness and the feeling of power by thrashing the car for an hour or two at speed than I did by doing the Dinan Stage 1 software upgrade. Proving two things: I am an idiot, and the adaptive ECU thing really works. I assume but don't know for a fact that a Porsche would be the same.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Estimate from Herb Chambers, Boston MA.... I'm gonna be sick.

Called another dealer (Herb Chambers) only to get a price of $1800. Inskip was $1365. Holy crap! I inquired on the expense and the advisor said that it required new plugs at 60K which really drives up the price.

I called PCNA to see if they had a standard list of work that was done at 60K. No such item other than the owners manual and OBTW, prices are set by each individual dealer with no input from PCNA.

Let's see.

20 minutes for an oil/filter change.
20 minutes for the air filter.
10 minutes for wipers.
1 hour for plugs.
Let's be generous, 3 hours inspecting under the car, suspension, brakes and lubing door hinges and seals.

Round it out to 5 hours of labor at $125 per.
Parts... oil/filters/wipers/plugs... really good stuff.... $200.

The closest I get is about $825 total. What a frigging rip-off on the esitmates I'm getting. Is it necessary to have this done to maintain your CPO warranty?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy yourself the OEM plugs from Pelican or Suncoast, and take them with you to the dealer for service

Also buy your own Mobil1 and provide that as well.

While you're at it - do your own wiper - buy them from Suncoast or Pelican or WalMart

That should cut the cr@p, I mean unnecessary expense.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Either quit complaining and DIY, or get yourself a tube of lube, bend over and let the dealer work his $1800 magic on you.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Smile Do it yourself!

I have no problem on the DIY feed-back, but do I risk anything with my CPO warranty?

I have the plugs, new coils, filters, oil, blah, blah, blah but there's one problem.

It's frigging cold where I am. Oh and as far as the bend-over lube job, I got that when I bought the car.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
dwccfp
Intermediate

Like I said earlier, I decided that I am not a DYI guy, so I pay to play, but I don't like getting screwed either. Stay away from the dealerships if you can then find a good independent service guy
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theonlyrobertson
I have no problem on the DIY feed-back, but do I risk anything with my CPO warranty?

I have the plugs, new coils, filters, oil, blah, blah, blah but there's one problem.

It's frigging cold where I am. Oh and as far as the bend-over lube job, I got that when I bought the car.
Sounds like you have all the parts

I think the suggestion of finding a good indy shop is the way to go.

You get a warranty proof service, you supply your own basic service parts, you save money over the stealerships.

You have a good indy in your area?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Your warranty will always remain in tact if you do the required service as per the maintenance schedule. Just keep your receipts. This applies to DIY or Indpendent. And even if you don't follow the maintenance schedule, you can only be denied warranty service if your failure to maintain is directly related to the warranty claim. For example, failure to change spark plugs would not be a reason to deny a warranty claim on a leaking rear main seal.

Quick Reply: 60K service ??