Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

how much of a markup do used car dealerships place on their cars on average?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
ahayvi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much of a markup do used car dealerships place on their cars on average?

Just outta curiosity if anyone knows, whats the average percentage of profit that used car dealerships make on vehicles? Is it more than 20 percent?

Am I insulting a pcar dealership when I offer them less than 30k on a 35k car? I know 5 thousand dollars seems alot but it really isnt when you think about it. I bought my first car for 14.5k when it had a 18k sticker.

thanks a mil.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 PM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as the market will bear, and it usually doesn't bear 20 percent. Whether your offer is below what it cost or not is irrelevant, the main question is if they are willing to sell you the car at the price you offer. Many times that answer is no, no matter how much they have built into the car, because they believe they can sell it for more. Sometimes the answer is yes even if they'll lose money, because the car has been sitting for a long time.
Make an offer, don't be worried about insulting them, trust me they've heard it all before.

Quick Reply: how much of a markup do used car dealerships place on their cars on average?