Sponsored by:

To chip, or not to chip...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default To chip, or not to chip...

Hi guys. Does anybody out there with a chip have any free advice? On a non-e-gas car with a tip, CAI, headers, & pipes would the difference be noticible, or should I keep saving for the supercharger? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same situation as you mark..... if you do a search there's a split b.t yes and no. for the price of a chip you won't feel too much of a difference, you will but not what you would with a supercharger. if your goal is to feel something and be really impress, i say save up for the supercharger.......if you do, you will get another chip as well......
Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a unichip piggy back computer. You can hardly feel any seat of the pants difference. Think about the gains are only about 15-18HP. That is only about 5-6% extra power. There is no way you can feel it. When you gain 15 HP in a 150HP car you'll notice it since its 10% better, but not on a 300HP car. I can tell you that it does work as when I do DEs, I can pull away from other stock 996 on the straights. Not by alot, but still I have an advantage. Is it worth about $1K thats up to you. IMO if your looking for seat of the pants then get a blower. If it was me I would sell the car and get a used 996TT. The prices have come down and the cost of a SC kit and your used car will be pretty close.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 AM
M3killa
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
im in the same situation as you mark..... if you do a search there's a split b.t yes and no. for the price of a chip you won't feel too much of a difference, you will but not what you would with a supercharger. if your goal is to feel something and be really impress, i say save up for the supercharger.......if you do, you will get another chip as well......
Once again, spoken by someone who does not have the experience, the chip, etc. Buy it, have some first hand experience, and then offer advice...........

Yes, with your mods and a throttle wire car, you will feel the gains. It will work very well with your mods. You tell them about your modifications and they will remap accordingly.

PEOPLE WITHOUT MODS, MOCK MODS....... People who purchase the mods correctly, will typically agree they are worthwhile.

Just my opinions.............
Old 01-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Mfletch: I did exactly what you are asking about....I put in performance headers, mufflers, GIAC flash, EVOM CAI, etc.

Since we live close together...how about getting together and you can drive mine and "feel" first hand whether it seems like it's got more oomph....nothing like being able to jump in and drive it....then make up your mind. Using the side-by-side comparison, I think we can be a bit more definitive for the folks out there who are trying to decide whether there really is a difference in the "feel". The only difference is that I have a 6 speed, and you have the tip....but we're both non-e-gas.

Chuck
Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Chuck, I would enjoy meeting you for a weekend drive. That would definately answer my question. I'm also interested in your suspension set-up. Do you like it? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

where is elk grove? i'm located in irvine california.... would love to do a drive with you guys if it's close by.......

M3Killa..... where's that vid clip you keep telling us that you've been killing M3's all day and night..... still waiting....................
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

oh yes...... i have experience with supercharger..... i have a 350Z twin turbo and a G35 Supercharged..... so i know what i am talking about when it comes to FI....... i simply made the comparison and from chatting with others who has experience ....... this how we learn..... from one another... never did i stated you won't feel anything or you will not base on MY experience but from what i hear and know from others....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
M3killa
Banned

yo, yo, yo!!! didn't mean it like that, only that people that haven't spent the money tend to make judgement calls for others thinking about purchasing mods. You did nothing wrong, sorry if I jumped you. I was thinking of others that claim it's a waste of money, and that mods don't work on such a fine tuned machine. Guess what, they do!!!

MY CAR HAULS ***@@@@@! Period. it is a little on the loud side though........ Cheers.

Also, no killing videos at this time. but we shall see what the future holds.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM
adybuncio
Advanced

I have full exhaust namingly headers, cats and mufflers and a cold air intake. To chip is to sum it all up!!! Definitely feel the difference
Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M3killa
yo, yo, yo!!! didn't mean it like that, only that people that haven't spent the money tend to make judgement calls for others thinking about purchasing mods. You did nothing wrong, sorry if I jumped you. I was thinking of others that claim it's a waste of money, and that mods don't work on such a fine tuned machine. Guess what, they do!!!

MY CAR HAULS ***@@@@@! Period. it is a little on the loud side though........ Cheers.

Also, no killing videos at this time. but we shall see what the future holds.
i don't doubt your car hauls a$$......... don't worry... we're all brothers here.......
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Porsche Smile....Irvine.....we're about 310 miles apart. Elk Grove is about 10 miles south of Sacramento on 99. Not exactly a quick jaunt you could take for some discussion over a cup of coffee or lunch....BUT, if you ever get up this way, give us a holler and we'll meet up.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hey thanks chuck..... i'll definetely give you guys a holler over there........if it's not for the distance........man....
Old 01-30-2007, 12:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Having spent a ton on various mods, most add little more than improved throttle response and mild hp bumps, imo. The ecu being the most noticable. I'd save my cash for a SC or step up to a TT if I were you.

Quick Reply: To chip, or not to chip...