Sponsored by:

Salted 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
SDP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salted 911

Well, it finally snowed here in central NJ--if you can call 1/4" "snow". It quickly melted, however our streets are now covered in salt. This is my first winter as a 911 owner and I've been debating whether or not to drive on salted roads. I was dead set against it until this morning when both of the other 911 owners (black 997s) at my gym drove up in their cars. Any experience with the effects of salt on a black 996?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the salt turns them gray. If you wash them they turn Black again.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Buy a winter beater for the season, you will appreciate the 996 even more when the flowers start to bloom.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
JayJay
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drive mine daily, even in the snow (with snow tires, of course). Sunday morning we had the first measurable snow here in Indy. I ran lots of errands in the morning and drove to the game later in the day. The car is now white from the salt but I'll rinse it off in a day or so.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my 6th winter in the 996. Snowed about and inch and a half yesterday along with freezing rain last night. Was really icy this am, but the Blizzaks were just fine. The Shell station near my house has a no touch car wash that will get most of the salt off but I still have to hand wash to get all off. If you plan on driving in snow over 6 inchs, invest in zip ties. The plastic undertrays will get cracked up!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
ML
Instructor

Stephen:

Curious about the zip ties comment. Can you expand a little?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

No way in hell I'm driving my car on salted roads. It doesn't just rinse off. It gets in places you will never get clean, and it will cause damage. If you are just driving your car for a few years and then moving on to the next thing, maybe it's OK. My car is a keeper (and in no way do I baby it.) It will never see salt, if I can help it.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Winter alternative, is what I am recommending. Rain is one thing, but snow and salt? Achht dun think so!!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Depends on the situation....

Right now my car is in at the dealer. We've had great weather for weeks... Friday (the day before it was due to go in) we had our first snow of the year and they put salt everywhere... okay, no big deal, the roads were dry by the time I had to drive the 3 miles to the dealer... yesterday it snows again and they dump tons for salt on the roads (which are still wet). The car has to be picked up tomorrow. Not sure I have a choice but to drive it back on the salted roads. The best I can hope for is that the roads dry out by tomorrow evening.

...all this trouble to keep it in immaculate condition and a trip to the dealer that was booked a month ago gets me salted
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
Depends on the situation....

Right now my car is in at the dealer. We've had great weather for weeks... Friday (the day before it was due to go in) we had our first snow of the year and they put salt everywhere... okay, no big deal, the roads were dry by the time I had to drive the 3 miles to the dealer... yesterday it snows again and they dump tons for salt on the roads (which are still wet). The car has to be picked up tomorrow. Not sure I have a choice but to drive it back on the salted roads. The best I can hope for is that the roads dry out by tomorrow evening.

...all this trouble to keep it in immaculate condition and a trip to the dealer that was booked a month ago gets me salted
You could have the car "flat-bedded" from the dealer to your house.... that would be a switch!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
You could have the car "flat-bedded" from the dealer to your house.... that would be a switch!
LOL

They salted the roads here for the first time late last week and they went totally insane salting the roads last night after a dusting of snow.

I usually use my 996 as a DD but I have refused to take it out since there has been salt on the roads. Damn, I am going through some serious P-Car withdrawl, does anyone know of a rehab in my area. Better yet, does anyone know the 12-Step P-Car anonymous program. HELP!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Flat bedding... hmm, now that's an idea.

Tell me what it is about PA that makes them think that at the slightest hint of snow they have to dump mounds of salt all over the roads... seems that they don't think they've done a good enough job unless there are mounds of salt piled up every 10 feet. Bizarre.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
rmillnj
Racer

A good question might be to ask what hurts a Porsche more - salt or sitting in the garage for extended periods of time. I tend to believe a car that is driven experiences less problems. These cars are meant to be driven, not hide in the garage like they were some delicate flower.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Last Sunday we had great weather here in the Dallas area with dry roads after 3 weeks of rain, freezing rain, snow from the Icy-Blast. Of course they lay down a lot of salt and sand on the roads which is nasty for cars in the long run (I used to live in NE and OH). I am trying to minimize the exposure to salt but with Sunday sun, I could not resist even though I knew some area will still have some sligthly wet roads with salt mixed-in, but I couldn't wait any longer to take my baby out for a spin especially with a newly installed Schnell CAI Awesome...
Cheers,
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine gets salted, but I just take it to a coin op wand wash and blast as much of the wheel wells and undertrays as possible. I prefer to drive my cars than park them for 5 months of the year...who am I saving it for?... The next owner? I think not. FYI: My last 2 M-B's were winter driven for 3 winters each and when I turned them back in, the dealer said to me " you obviously don't drive your cars in winter".

Quick Reply: Salted 911