Sponsored by:

Rear Negative Camber on stock control arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rear Negative Camber on stock control arms

Just curious how much negative camber you can get in the rear of a 996 C2 on the stock control arms.

This would be assuming ride height of 128mm in the rear (GT3 height).

Trying to determine if the adjustable control arms are really worth it or not when I'll probably set the rear and leave it.

Andy
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not camber limited in the back of a C2. Even at Us stock ride height, you can get over -2.5. The real issue is the front where you are lucky if you can get -1.0.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I'm installing suspension with camber plates in front which will eliminate the negative camber issues in the front of the car

Besides ease of use why do soo many upgrade to the agency adjustable control arms. I can see the merit if you can only get -1.5 to -2 degrees of camber in the rear of the car without them...but is there something elst that I'm missing besides possibly increased feel from the solid mounts?

Andy
Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The rear end of my car maxed out at -2.2 (left) and -2.3 (right).
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'm installing suspension with camber plates in front which will eliminate the negative camber issues in the front of the car

Besides ease of use why do soo many upgrade to the agency adjustable control arms. I can see the merit if you can only get -1.5 to -2 degrees of camber in the rear of the car without them...but is there something elst that I'm missing besides possibly increased feel from the solid mounts?

Andy
What suspension are you running? Be careful on camber plates, most are made for coilover-type suspensions. With the stock-type suspension (US-std, M030, ROW M030) the springs and perches are larger in diameter. As a result, they can't clear with being moved in by using camber plates. Weltmeister, TRG and Shnell (copies of the others) only work on coilover suspensions.

The other alternative is GT3 control arms which not only eliminate the suspension rubbing issue, also increase the track. In order to run them on a regular 996, you need to run them RSR style with the right control arm on the left and the left on the right mounting the torque arms in the offset holes.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I'm going the JIC route soon. (still trying to decide on spring rates)

On my previous car I had to do adjustable rear control amrs to get the negative camber values that I wanted for the track as there wasn't enough adjustment in the stock setup. Sounds like I can get the values I'm looking for with the stock arms on the 996 for now. If I feel the need to upgrade later to the adjustable units I can.

Andy

Quick Reply: Rear Negative Camber on stock control arms