996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New member with a rebuilt 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Oreganet, thanks. I'll only get the clear markers if you can convince me that they will make my car go faster...Otherwise, I'm saving my pennies to buy a supercharger. My kids don't really need braces or college...do they?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Oreganet, thanks. I'll only get the clear markers if you can convince me that they will make my car go faster...Otherwise, I'm saving my pennies to buy a supercharger. My kids don't really need braces or college...do they?
No, your car won't go faster, but for $30 will look nicer. Saving for a supercharger is an admirable goal.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Clear side markers = 8 to 10 additional HP!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not think there are enough BOW/HAIL emoticons to fully capture my admiration and respect (envy) for what you have accomplished. Time spent with wife and kids on a family project is priceless as pointed out earlier.

I think you're wife had it all planned since the get go: help and support hubby with car project to make you feel "obligated" to buy her dream car. Everyone's a winner.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

8-10 more HP for only $30? I thought I had to add a couple of zeros to get that much more power. Ok, to be perfectly honest, I had to buy headlights, side markers, and taillights to go with the new paint job. I screwed up big time! I should have spent the extra money to upgrade to clear lights all around. I dream of installing clear lights and a GT3 bodykit on my car. On the other hand, it might be kind of fun to have a supercharger with stock appearance. I don't think I'll ever run out of ways to spend money on my toy. Does this sound familiar?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

MOD-A-HOLICS anonymous!!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Kromdom, my wife got a laugh out of your's. I think you were right.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez....and I did one little DIY and was patting myself on the back....till I read this thread....holy smokes..great job, more self confidence than I would have had in tackling a project such as this. The part I really liked was where you talked about the whole family getting together and periodically working on it. That makes it really special. Congratulations on a job well done. I'm with you on the supercharger part. I'm seriously thinking of that myself. Maybe we can do a two-fer. Since we live in the same area, maybe we can do it together....we need to talk though about that nebulous little agency called DMV....
Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

when I changed my exhausts myself for sport exhaustsa...I thought I was "THE MAN"...I even converted the front to a +02 (but not really myself...I only collected the parts) and I thought "YES >>I AM THE MAN"

NOW I feel like NOT THE MAN........what an undertaking!!! Must have been so much fun!!
Goodluck...and yes spend the 30 bucks for the clear side markers...because your 0-60 will be 0.5 secs faster!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck & Nicolass, You guys are great. Thanks. Chuck, You and I have the same worry. I talked to EVO a couple months ago and they assured me that CARB exemption was in the works...The checks in the mail...Or I won't cu...never mind.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have a friend who buy and sells the older Ford Broncos....he's had a few that had the high performance Ford 351 engines in them fuel injected....These are beautifully put together machines...and they pass the emissions part much cleaner than the factory ones....BUT...DMV has a two part inspection....one is the emissions part, and the other is the VISUAL part. A car can pass the emissions part cleaner than a whistle...but if there's anything in there that the manual says doesn't belong, or isn't there...then the "NO FAIRZEES" paragraph kicks in and you flunk the SMOG test. Doesn't that seem totally inane? The issue is the emissions and keeping the air clean....not how the damn thing looks. So much for poorly thought out and legislated/enforced laws.

If, as Mfletch says...that EVO is working on a California SMOG exemption...more power to them, but I know that trying to get anything thru Calif. DMV is like having a root canal...very painful and slow. I sure as hell wish they'd hurry up. Are you reading this Todd???? You'd sell a whole lot of superchargers here in California if you could get the dogone exemption. I wanna be first in line...guaranteed sale!!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
pl
Drifting

send a message to http://www.excellence-mag.com/E-editor.html
they sure will be interested in you story.
good luck! hope see your story in details in the excellence magzine.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:02 PM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have been much more intimate with your car than I have with mine- I better go out to the garage and give her some "love"
Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, Maybe Sharkwerks has some ideas regarding the DMV problem.

pl, I sent them a message, Thanks. I love that magazine. I'll be shocked if I hear back.

lanny, careful about giving her too much love or you'll end up with the dreaded "milky substance" in your oil fill tube.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
pl
Drifting

Chuck, Maybe Sharkwerks has some ideas regarding the DMV problem.

pl, I sent them a message, Thanks. I love that magazine. I'll be shocked if I hear back.

lanny, careful about giving her too much love or you'll end up with the dreaded "milky substance" in your oil fill tube.
i recall a article "Eleven Grand: A 986 on the Cheap" in #150 Oct 2006, tkaing about how a college got a totaled boxster and did the body work hisself to bring it back to life. that boxster only had some body damage on the passage door and door panel. nothing compare to what u 've done.

if you do make it on the magzine, please insert a line for i need my own 5 seconds fame

Quick Reply: New member with a rebuilt 996