Sponsored by:

Warning Rennlisters and users

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warning Rennlisters and users

Do not buy these wheels for your Porsche. I got these off E-bay. I was so totally pi$$ed off after I started to bolt these on and finding one thing after another wrong. First off and the most major to me, the hub I.D. is NOT hubcentric (it comes with a PLASTIC spacer, WTF). Second, the cone angle for the lug bolts is wrong, only placing a load on the outer 20% of the cone of the wheel. Third, the offset is about an INCH too wide, the outer tires rub the fenders. Fourth, the factory lug bolts are too short. Fifth, the center cap has a hole in it allowing water to get trapped in the hub. Sixth, one wheel took about a third world country of wheel weights to balance. Seventh, the holes where you bolt the center cap on had paint coating the threads and I had to scrape out the holes to get the tiny allen bolts started. I am sure I am forgetting other things.

The sick part is, I was contemplating the 997S wheels or these (same exact pricing), guess which ones I should have bought. I just wanted the "lip look" sooooo bad and the pic of the aero on their page sold me.

Here is some pics of my car, hope this works:
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2007, 07:18 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I feel bad for you that these didn't work out, as they look really good.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the warning.

However, you should have asked here before you purchased them. These wheels have been discussed here in the past.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Aww dangit, I bought these wheels before I was writing on this forum, would of been nice to be warned.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what company did you buy them off of on E-Bay?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

BTW does anyone know or experience NAD-4?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Tippy these wheels (or some very similar looking wheels) were a pretty "hot topic" about 6 to 8 months back. Those wheels had incorrect offsets for the 996 narrow body cars and stuck out beyond the fender in a similar fashion to the wheels on your car.

Note to all my fellow Rennlisters: If you are going to purchase wheels that are not OEM, please... please... PLEASE ask others on this Forum for their thoughts about the fit and quality of the wheels you intend to purchase. A few posts and replies could save you time, money and a huge amount of frustration!

OK, community service bulletin is over! Let's P-A-R-T-Y!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Tippy these wheels (or some very similar looking wheels) were a pretty "hot topic" about 6 to 8 months back. Those wheels had incorrect offsets for the 996 narrow body cars and stuck out beyond the fender in a similar fashion to the wheels on your car.

Note to all my fellow Rennlisters: If you are going to purchase wheels that are not OEM, please... please... PLEASE ask others on this Forum for their thoughts about the fit and quality of the wheels you intend to purchase. A few posts and replies could save you time, money and a huge amount of frustration!

OK, community service bulletin is over! Let's P-A-R-T-Y!
Tim - I believe it was me who stated this, I wanted to post pics to ensure what they look like.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tippy
Tim - I believe it was me who stated this, I wanted to post pics to ensure what they look like.
You may have stated this, but I am recalling another 2 or 3 guys with similar problems. I'll see if I can find that thread and, if I do, I'll post a link to it here...

EDIT: OK, I found the thread I was referencing… here is the link to it...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=offset

BTW, the “Tim” he is referring to is Tim Wasmer in Denver, not me. Take a close look at the pics in post #6 (wrong offset) and post #19 (better offset). The wheels in both posts (#6 & #19) look similar to your wheels.

Last edited by gota911; 01-20-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice find Tim.

It's unfortunate that people continue to recommend these wheels for the 996 when they are clearly a poor fit.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ray S
Nice find Tim.

It's unfortunate that people continue to recommend these wheels for the 996 when they are clearly a poor fit.
Agreed! When I first joined here, I didn't really "get" the "offset thing." However, with the help of many patient members here, coupled with some reading and learning on my own, I feel that I understand wheel offset and proper wheel fitting.

So when someone posts a thread about offsets, or about "X" wheels, I make every effort to help them out. I do this because I remember, all too well, how confusing the "offset thing" was for me initially. This is why I posted the "Community Bulletin" above. I just want to help keep some of the newer guys from making a $1,500 - $2,500 mistake, if possible. (OK, the Newbies don't count, 'cuz I like giving them some ****! (hee hee) Just kidding!)

THUMP!!! <== OK, that was me jumping down off my Soap Box!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 AM
rleeq
Racer

Good timing on the post as I have been looking for new wheels for my 99 C2. I was looking hard at a set of Carrera wheels made in Italy to exact Porsche specifications for only $895. First I thought what a great deal but on second thought I remember two rules that have server me well: if something sounds too good to be true it probably is and you get what you pay for.
I really would like to get a set 18” GT3 but my understanding is there are fitment issues with 996 NB.
Thanks for the informative links.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:22 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no fitment issues I know of for 18" GT3 wheels....I have 19's with the same offsets, no issues....I learned that wheels and fitments are VERY subjective...what someone thinks is PERFECT...I may think its too far....So I did LOTS of research and I bought wheels with offsets that I LIKED.....I looked at those wheels but when I saw the offsets, I knew they wouldnt fit well....
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM
rleeq
Racer

Originally Posted by newport996
There are no fitment issues I know of for 18" GT3 wheels....I have 19's with the same offsets, no issues....I learned that wheels and fitments are VERY subjective...what someone thinks is PERFECT...I may think its too far....So I did LOTS of research and I bought wheels with offsets that I LIKED.....I looked at those wheels but when I saw the offsets, I knew they wouldnt fit well....
Love the Car! I think black GT3 wheels would look good on my car. How much did it cost to paint them black?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:30 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rleeq
Good timing on the post as I have been looking for new wheels for my 99 C2. I was looking hard at a set of Carrera wheels made in Italy to exact Porsche specifications for only $895. First I thought what a great deal but on second thought I remember two rules that have server me well: if something sounds too good to be true it probably is and you get what you pay for.
I really would like to get a set 18” GT3 but my understanding is there are fitment issues with 996 NB.
Thanks for the informative links.
Lee - you are correct. GT3 wheels will NOT fit on a NB 996. The rear offsets are too low and the wheels and tires will stick out like "Dumbo's" ears. (maybe you're not old enough to remember Dumbo). Anyway, they will stick out... a LOT!

Here is a link to a GREAT site that will help you calculate the impact of changing wheel widths and offsets. I have added the link to my "Favorites" folder on my web browser.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

They also have a Tire Size calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...bmit&reset=yes

Hope these help!

Quick Reply: Warning Rennlisters and users