Sponsored by:

Rear tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Also Highway 90 going to Lackland (130+). I don't do jackrabbit starts so I guess that helps. And 1999Porsche, the dealer in California did the last alignment, so I guess they did it right ( and filled it with 0W40 Mobil 1 after it was done!)

I don't care how many allignments you have had and how many people have said it is within spec......it is NOT within specs or you are running plastic tires. Highway driving at speed rips the inside half of those tires faster than any other type of driving. You car may handle fine for your driving style, but your camber is less negative than specs require. Many driviers run this setup, but they are not aggressive corner drivers and it works out fine.

A posting of a picture of your car'ss stance from behind, showing the tires would be interesting to look at. If your Pirelli's really have 20,000 miles on them AND your allignment is within specs, it should be quite noticable at night as you will see sparks behind the car.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

1999Porsche, get over yourself! All I am saying is my car does have a little over 20K on the tires AND I do need new ones now. As far as my driving style, no I don't take every corner like it's the last time I'll ever drive, but I have driven it hard (if you ever lived in Southern California and traveled Angeles Crest Highway you would know).As far as sparks coming out of the rear, yes the tires are worn on the inside. LIKE I SAID, I DO NEED NEW TIRES NOW. BTW, pay the $17 and become a member.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm up for new ones as well. I got 12,000 plus on them but they are pretty well used up. All driving was on the street, no autocross or track time. Oh well, $600.00 dollars later and I'll be ready for Spring.....
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've put about 14k on my Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and they are looking like they are ready for at least another 5-10K. I don't know how much more mileage for sure, but they look surprisingly good - and I don't think 20k is out of the question. Yes, I drive quite fast and have gone on a couple loooong road trips, plus I am an entrance/exit ramp warrior.. so I actually do use my tires and power.

All German Auto did the alignment on my car the day after I bought the tires, and my tread wear looks pretty even. Someone mentioned that if your tires last 20k, that your car's handling probably sucks or other such nonesense.. sorry but I disagree there! That is quite the all-encompassing blanket statement there.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by cdodkin
You've been using them haven't you!

But seriously JKB, the 996 rears have the toe inn and neg camber dialed in them. The camber gets worse if you lowered the car from stock. No way around it. But if they(tires) are really wearing out fast without you driving aggresively, I would have the allighment checked.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Negative camber is most wearing to the rear tires when NOT driven hard. i.e. jackrabbit starts, aggresive cornering. The camber is set with the car sitting at normal suspension height. Any reduction in the rear height, such as rapid acceleration or heavy luggage or passenger in the rear seats, REDUCES the amount of camber and the tires flatten out, decreasing the uneven wear. The effect of cornering is even more obvious. The straighter and steadier you drive your car, the more your riding on the inside half of your tires.

This is why a car with negative camber that are driven primarily on highways or straight roads, will always, not sometimes, but always wear out the inside half of the rear tires before the outside half. This is a rules of physics and not an opinion. The greater the negative camber, the greater the wear difference.

So, to claim that aggressive driving will lessen this type of tire wear is incorrect.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my negative camber adjusted after suffering premature inner shoulder wear on the rears.

In fact, the shoulder went all the way through on one side before wifey even knew anything was wrong.

She was driving home from work, and went an additional 15 miles home without realizing!

The tire stayed on the rim, the rim was undamaged, but it got red hot, and I could put my hand through the hole in the shoulder on the inside!

CHECK YOUR REAR EVERY WEEK!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw mine today both rears corded worse then that! <5k mi.
I also have -2.4 deg camber. damn toe is probably off again.

Quick Reply: Rear tire wear?