Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb
from my service adviser:

Hey there,
Its done!

The engine # is M96/AT66566662

i guess it is a new engine after all and not reman
Is that the engine part number or serial number? A poster above stated that the x would be in the part number, not the engine serial number. I don't know what you got, but I do know that M3 owners that had to have engine replaced in early years of e46 M3 production because of connecting rod bearing failure, received remanufactured engines. I think that is the usual policy.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Better to visusually inspect it to verify. But as Brad and others have pointed out, chances are slim to none that this is a "new" engine. They don't just have "new" 03 motors sitting around. My guess is that your SA left off the X since it is NOT a numerical value.
considering the engine is already inside the car, what do i look for when visually inspecting it?

btw, thanks everybody for your kind words of wisdom and advise. even if it is reman, i probably wont complain much, but i am now on a quest for truth for my own state of mind
Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on your service paperwork.
It should show the engine as a part number with "3.6L - 04 Carrera" or something similar next to it in the "Description" column.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no X in the serial number, the number stays the same no matter how many times they rebuild it. The x is in the part number
good luck with the reman motor
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been told this as well. The engine serial number does not change and there are no special markings if it is a rebuilt engine. But, I bet Porsche knows. At one time we thought Porsche was putting a spot of paint on the rebuilts, but I have seen paint on new engines.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
there is no X in the serial number, the number stays the same no matter how many times they rebuild it. The x is in the part number
good luck with the reman motor
So, it is possible for an engine serial number on an engine that was delivered in a new car to be placed in another car as a remanufactured engine, as the cases (w/crank) are reused, and the serial number is on the case......
Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Ahhhhh that explains why my replacement engine on my '97 986 had the same serial number as the original!

I was surprised, assumed they'd made a typo on the service record.

But sounds like that's business as usual.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that would be a typo it would take weeks to have the same motor sent back and rebuilt
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by jkb
from my service adviser:

Hey there,
Its done!

The engine # is M96/AT66566662

i guess it is a new engine after all and not reman
According to StephenB, you have a remanufactured engine, but that's NOT a bad thing it's actually a better thing than the one you had before:

The replacement motor will have AT in front of the serial number. This means Austauschmotor or exchange motor. I spent a lot of time trying to get an answer from differing sources. Nobody will go on record as to what is new and what is not, but essentially everything is probably new except the crank and cradle. These are only used if they meet new specs, not wear tolerances. All indicated that the exchange AS motors have the newer design intermediate shaft. At least two sources indicated that the starter, PS pump and AC compressor can be rebuilt units since they are external replaceable units. (note: the 99 AT motor does not come with the AC compressor) This made my decision easy as whether to do a top end rebuild to fix a broken valve spring on a 96k mile motor. The cost of a new unit was not a big leap.

My "Austauschmotor 3,4L USA" was built on 26.11.2004 by Werner Billes and installed in my car in April of 2005.

We visually checked my AT motor carefully and found:
*new coil packs
*new fuel injectors
*new intake and throttle body
*new crankcase (indicated by casting marks)
*new heads
*new cam covers
*new starter
*new alternator
*new water pump
*new headers
*all new fasteners/hardware/hoses/harness
*new pulleys/idlers/etc.
*remanufactured PS pump (indicated by an X in the part number)
*crankshaft appeared to be new

In summary, everything appeared to be new except the PS pump. I would not loose sleep over the exchange motor...probably better than new

From the PCA website Joel Reiser writes:

"There is no such choice as a new vs rebuilt engine. Take the factory rebuilt engine, that is as good as a new one, and probably better, because someone at Porsche has gone through it (after 2002) and made the updates as needed. Porsche operates with an ISO-type continuous improvement process, so you want a factory rebuilt unit with improvements, not another possibly defective original unit that may have been collecting dust on a shelf for 4 years. I really don't believe they have such a stock, which is why I say there is no such choice, and if there was, it would not be a customer choice under a warranty claim.

I have not heard of any dealers doing the actual engine rebuilding anymore, that went out with the 993 model. I don't know your dealer, but perhaps only two or three in the country are really prepared to do a quality rebuild of a 996 engine, and even then it may not be cost-effective. All others simply install the replacement engines that come on a pallet from Porsche ready to go, and that is a win/win for everyone."
Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Irksome
Racer

Originally Posted by discoganya
Too bad I'm stuck with them for my RMS / IMS leaks, cam cover leaks, etc. For anything else I always use Carlsen (very honest & reasonable) or an Indy.
Why would you be stuck with a bad dealer?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I don't know what the fuss is about...new or remanufactured, X or no X....the new motor would be under its own warranty...so drive it and enjoy. If it dies within the new warranty period, you get another one. I wish I still had existing warranty coverage...but worrying about it is a waste of time and energy that's better spent enjoying the car. I've just decided that if the engine goes, I'll fix it on my own dime.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Its a reman...and you should hope it is...a reman is usually better than a brand ew one....it has all the internal updates and is THOROUGHLY gone through and testd...much more vigorously than a new engine. Rumor has it, they sare usually a bit stronger....enjoy!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
rcronin
Advanced

A fresh motor is a fresh motor and when covered with the same warranty? It's a no brainer.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Agreed - who cares if it is reman or new...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
jkb
Racer

it is reman and i love it. however, it is not covered by a separate warranty. it is covered by the "car" warranty which runs out in a few months.

Quick Reply: Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles