Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
reman you will not a get a new engine, with that said
how many people have had more then one engine replaced on the same car ?
probaly less people have had reman engines fail then their original
i think its new, let me double check.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i can assure you its not new it is a rebuilt engine
but
every thing inside is new
heads cams chains valves pistons bearings rings seals evrything new except the case and the crank
Old 01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What is the difference between a new engine and a remanufactured engine?

How & why does PCNA stock remanufactured engines? From my understanding, you get a new engine in a new car, and the only time you need another engine is when your current engine goes kaput. There exists no other reason to buy, sell or trade engines, except a very very small % of people who swap engines for power, etc. So, in fact, are you getting a blown engine from some other car that has been refinished to work again?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default jkb, my info is a reman. engine will have an x (the letter ex) after...

Originally Posted by jkb
i think its new, let me double check.
the engine serial number, while a new engine will not have the x.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
jkb
Racer

my service adviser claims its a new engine, not remanufactured one. i trust him. but i have also asked him for an engine serial number. i will absolutely NOT accept a remanufactured engine. you dont get used part when something else is replaced under warranty. why should engine be any different???
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Dude, it's not used, it's reman. Just get PHOTO verification of the number and go from there. But you are not getting a new crate motor, trust Brad on this one.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Not sure you have a say in whether or not you get a new vs..

Originally Posted by jkb
my service adviser claims its a new engine, not remanufactured one. i trust him. but i have also asked him for an engine serial number. i will absolutely NOT accept a remanufactured engine. you dont get used part when something else is replaced under warranty. why should engine be any different???
remanufactured engine. Warranty/repair fine print probably allows dealer/factory to repair with new or "remanufactured" parts, as long as they carry the same guarantee as new, which they do: 2 years, unlimited miles (so I've heard). (Safety equipment -- airbags, seat belt pretensioners, etc. -- may be required to be replaced with new.)

I have no experience with Carrera remanufactured engines, but those that have received remanufactured for their Boxster report almost unamiously good things.

Sure, there have been one or two that have had the remanufactured engine go belly up, but replaced again under warranty.

For the overwhelming majority, they report their remanufactured engine has been as good as or even better than the original engine, even before the original engine started its decline.

However, you're certainly entitled to object, if the engine proves to be remanufactured (if it can be determined without question is is remanufactured), and request a new engine.

I will point out that with a new engine you are 0 for 1, so another new engine may mimic the first new engine's failure.

Best of luck to you regardless if you decide to live with the remanufactured engine, or if you successfully get a new engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

This seems to be happening more and more to the motors which were supposed to be "new and improved" as time goes on. Some used to claim that the 02 and on were "safe" due the being excluded from the problems of the 99-01 3.4 litre. Seems that as time and miles catch up to these cars, more are having trouble. At least your 03 is still under warranty, but I am sure there are many 03's out there that are already out of warranty.

This makes me sad. I really was hoping the problem that myself and others had with the 99-01's was going to go away.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

your gettins a new reman motor. YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER get a new engine from porsche. I Can assure you if people with brand new less then 3 month old cars and cars with under 2000 miles have gotten reman motors even after fighting for months for a new one your 03 with 20k is gonna get a reman.
YOu dont have a choice in the matter. you can fight all you want but all that does is eat up time you coudl be drivign and enjoying the car, porsceh is under no obligation to give you a "new" motor. AND they wont
Its also kind of hard for them to keep an unlimted supply of 2003 motors laying around dont ya think.
The x is only in the part number its not in the serial number
it will not affect resale in a negative way
You motor will be all new pistons rods vales springs cams rings bearings chains seals pumps
harness sensors everything
but the crank and the case which will both be reconditiond, you will get all the updated latest and greatest parts which makes it way better then getting an new 2003 motor with the same weaknesses thats been sitting in a warehouse for 4 years .
Dont fight it just smiel and be glad it happened under warrenty
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Default Thanks, now I'm nervous

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
This seems to be happening more and more to the motors which were supposed to be "new and improved" as time goes on. Some used to claim that the 02 and on were "safe" due the being excluded from the problems of the 99-01 3.4 litre. Seems that as time and miles catch up to these cars, more are having trouble. At least your 03 is still under warranty, but I am sure there are many 03's out there that are already out of warranty.

This makes me sad. I really was hoping the problem that myself and others had with the 99-01's was going to go away.
My 2003 just went out of warranty last month with 14,000 miles on it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...c=4337&hl=Jean

Brad is right with 1 exception. We have a local 2000 Boxster owner out of warranty that did get a new engine, but only because Porsche did not have the correct remanufactured engine in the US, and it was a unique case.

Somewhere I have a picture of the box it came in and there was no X in the part number. Plus I know the mechanic that put it in, and had to be rewired because it was a tip engine going into a manual transmission Boxster.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

out of warrenty i have installed new motors, if you hit somerthing in the road and break the block the core is no good so a reman motor is more expesnive including the core charge 3000$ then a new motor
Old 01-17-2007, 04:35 PM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
the engine serial number, while a new engine will not have the x.

Sincerely,

Macster.
from my service adviser:

Hey there,
Its done!

The engine # is M96/AT66566662

i guess it is a new engine after all and not reman
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Better to visusually inspect it to verify. But as Brad and others have pointed out, chances are slim to none that this is a "new" engine. They don't just have "new" 03 motors sitting around. My guess is that your SA left off the X since it is NOT a numerical value.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

man..... a brand new car for pre-o0wned price...... how do you beat that...... ?

Quick Reply: Getting new engine. '03 996 C2 w/22K miles