Sponsored by:

Time to put Winter rubber on

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Time to put Winter rubber on

So I have been putting this off, partly because I didn't really think I needed winter tires and partly because I didn't want the cost.

Well, I really feel the car getting twitchy in the cold. Maybe I'm imagining some of it...I don't know. I had a flat last week and the Porsche tech told me I was mad running P-Zeros in this cold, so that also contributes to my state of mind.

I'm running 18" P-Zeros on Sport Classic II's.

I am going to get new rims as the hassle of changing rubber just seems like not worth it.

To keep the costs down I am looking at 17" Sport Edition Cup 3 rims from Tire Rack (the 18"s are out of stock until March otherwise I would have had them).

Anyone have experience of these - any reason not to go with them?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 PM
ML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you searched the forum? This has been discussed on numerous occasions.

No issues with 17" unless you have a TT or C4S as they wil not fit because of the larger brakes. Probably actually better in the snow.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Sorry if the question is unclear but I didn't ask if 17s would fit.

The question is does anyone have experience of these rims - quality, build etc.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
ML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they may be offering wheels made by Mille Miglia. If that is the case, they are generally very good wheels (made in Italy). I have some on my C4S for the winter and they perform very well.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just the opposite. On those recent 60*-70* days (global warming isn't all bad, eh?) I've been kicking myself for changing over to winter shoes in November. Have you tried WheelEnhancement.com? Have you considered 18" winter wheels? I got the 18" faux turbo twists for my snow tires. Just my $0.02 but my logic for getting 2 sets of 18" wheels is that: 1) If I ever damage a wheel/tire I have another spare set of 18" wheels; 2) I want the winter and summer look and feel of the car to be as similar as possible; 3) Not intending to drive in really bad snow/ice so I don't care about the added benefits of a 17" wheel.

On the flipside, last year I drove into a pothole and it tore up wheel and the tire sidewall, so there are benefits to a higher profile tire in winter.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

So I went for the TireRack Sport Cup 3s and Blizzak rubber.....UPS just delievered them so now I'm itching to go home and get them on.

Just as the temperature dropped to below 20 today

Quick Reply: Time to put Winter rubber on