996TT PPI question on Cruise Control Behavior...advice needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 AM
jcb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996TT PPI question on Cruise Control Behavior...advice needed ASAP

Hi.

I posted the lower question on the 996turbo forum. Most people said go with the tech on things. I plan do so, but to find some sort of fair compromise and go with independent shop pricing and such as I think the used car dealer got shafted by the prior owner a bit (sounds like the prior guy did a bunch of 0 to 60 things and dropped the clutch from high revs). Car has no over revs.

Question is: WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE CRUISE CONTROL?

Basically, it forgets the speed on gear shifts. Anyone see this before. TIA.

Prior post for your info (a thread in the 996turbo forum, as noted). Sorry to post in two placed, but the general forum probably sees more people and no one commented on the cruise control yet. I have to make a decision in about 6 hours.....

jcb

Used car dealer, very fair guy, says car is perfect and agrees to a PPI. I use a place regarded highly by ViperBob in Boston.

996tt, 2002, low miles

Engine is good, frame is good, some spray in front and "high speed" paint stuff...fine. I can handle that.

Three of four wheels are bent per the guru mechanic. The dealer doesn't believe it and says he could not feel vibration, and wants to go to the Herb Chambers (local dealer) to check it out.

On top of that cruise control forgets the speed on gear change. Is that normal? Neither the mechanic nor I knew if that was...suspected it was not. If it is a problem, is it a simple problem or a big probelm?

Finally, the clutch and flywheel are "suspect"....the mechanic said the driveline felt too disconnected. The sale guy again, did not believe this, and wanted to go the the porsche dealer (who does all of his audi and porsche work). Will the dealer find this...the guru is a local PCA expert and race car mechanic that many, many know and trust.

I am to drive up Saturday 400mi or so to get the car. Thoughts/opinions.

How much would the 3 wheels (two rear and one front), the clutch/flywheel stuff, and possible the cruis control system cost to fix?
Anyone have this cruise control issue?

The (used car) dealer has been superb thus far and really felt the car was tip top...seems honest enough, but feels that the wealth of the prior owner is somehow correlated to the condition of the car/clutch/wheels. I told him that that did not make sense.

Please, please, please give me advice. I think the guts of the car are good.

JB
Old 01-12-2007, 08:40 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

If I undertsnad the question on cruise control correctly you are saying it cuts out when you change gear. Thats normal. As soon as you touch the brake or gas you will interrupt the cruise control and then you need to hit resume afterwards....
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
jcb
Track Day

Thanks. The mechanic never uses it. And, I must admit, nor do I.

I just don't want to ignore an issue.

Thanks. If anyone else has any insight, on any of this, please post. TIA to all.

Anyone have flywheel/clutch issues with a used car?

jcb
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
If I undertsnad the question on cruise control correctly you are saying it cuts out when you change gear. Thats normal. As soon as you touch the brake or gas you will interrupt the cruise control and then you need to hit resume afterwards....
What he (spiderv6) said ^. That is normal. Activating the brake or changing gears interrupts the cusise control.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In the course of changing gears, depressing the clutch causes the cruise to cut
off, otherwise the engine would bounce off of the rev limiter as soon as
the clutch was pushed in......
Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

clucth pedal turns off the cruise, to prevent the engine for reving to try to maintain speed.
as far as disconecetd, you will need to be more specific
but a flywheel and a clutch will run ya 5k or so at the dealer
flyewheel 1200-1500 clutch kit 1200-1500 and 20 hours of labor or so atthe dealer
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
jcb
Track Day

Thank you everyone. I plan to go with the car IF the seller makes some allowances for the clutch and three wheels.

JB

Quick Reply: 996TT PPI question on Cruise Control Behavior...advice needed ASAP